I've been an Automotive technician for 40 years. I'm thinking of retirement at age 70. Maybe get a part time job.

There's not many actual mechanics these days.

Mainly just parts replacers. And I wouldn't even trust them to touch my cars.

Placing that aside, you should just retire and try to enjoy the rest of your days. In my view, and not knowing your economic circumstances.

That's what I would do.

Do you have a hotrod to keep you busy?

Placing that aside, you should just retire and try to enjoy the rest of your days. In my view, and not knowing your economic circumstances.

That's what I would do.

I have a vintage pickup that I drive around on the weekends.

That's what I would do.

at 40 yrs hes a real mechanic and most likely enjoys getting his hands greasy,,

having his own classic car to work or engine building for others might be just what it takes to stay engaged and happy waiting for the reaper,,

It's a time of transition. Not looking forward to it, but I can't do this job too much longer. Any advice?

Consider your situation and how you'd like to live out the rest of your life.

When my grandpa retired he told me he didn't have anything to do, he lost his meaning. That was how much he enjoyed the friendships at work, he had been there 40 years.

Whatever your decision make sure you are confident it is right for you.

That's what I would do.

He's telling you that he's not a mechanic.

It's a time of transition. Not looking forward to it, but I can't do this job too much longer. Any advice?
PLEASE retire immediately. My friend of 50 years, a life-long transmission mechanic was slated to retire in a month (many years ago). He figured, like you, that he wanted to continue to work. He went to work one morning and lost his eyesight in his shooting eye to a piece of flying metal. He was wearing eye protection, but the metal got behind from the side. Enjoy your retirement. You've earned it.

Forum List

Back