IYO, how long will a revolver last?

I simply asked how long a revolver will last. Is that too hard for you?
Kinda like a car. If properly maintained... indefinitely...but some things are bound to break.

And just like cars...the more moving parts...the more the likelihood of something breaking. Put up some replacement springs, firing pins, roll pins etc packed in grease.

And NEVER...NEVER EVER...COWBOY THE CYLINDER. Push it closed gently.

Ask me how I know.

I've seen a Ruger dropped, accidentally kicked across a parking lot, and run over by a small car. Was ugly afterwards but the little fucker still fired.

LCR .38 special for those interested.
I carried a LCR for a while but while the DA pull is spectacular I could never get used to not having the option for a hammer like with say a S&W Model 49.

R.68e7de205f6a3c8a4ad3c667b3432d6d

I carried a LCR for a while but while the DA pull is spectacular I could never get used to not having the option for a hammer like with say a S&W Model 49.

R.68e7de205f6a3c8a4ad3c667b3432d6d
It is a long pull, that's for sure. But it didn't accidentally discharge during all of that crap either. So...

It depends on the revolver. I have a Ruger that my grandfather bought sometime back in the 60’s. It’s well made and still fires every trigger pull, the only repair was when he dropped it and cracked a grip in the 80’s. I also have a cheap .22 revolver that breaks every few hundred rounds. It’s a good gun to tinker on but wouldn’t use it in any situation I need to make sure it goes bang.

I have a CW era Colt 1851 Navy (.36 cal)....Still shoots fine.

If you take care of a quality revolver it will last several lifetimes of moderate use.....I don't even know if you can break a Ruger unless you pounded-in 10-penny nails with it all day. ;)

Aaron Hogue broke a Ruger Redhawk at a steel plate challenge back in the 1980's. His loads were so powerful they kept stopping the electronic timer due to the muzzle blast.

The gun lasted through 6 firings and then gave up the ghost.

Forum List

Back