James Harrison returns sons' "participation" trophies

image589.png

I'm still looking for evidence that young people are less competitive as a result of our handing out participation awards.

What sport.....or what field of study is this supposed lack of competitiveness rearing it's ugly head?

It's a false meme.
Sad that you were provided exactly that - the evidence you have been screeching about - and consequently ignored it because it does not fit your preconceived notion.

Go back and deal with reality - celebrating participation is moronic.

All levels of play should be competitive. Anything else teaches that games can be focused on things other than winning which is a loser mentality.
All of this may be true, but sometimes there are things that are more important than winning. I once heard a coach in a movie say after seeing his team tie with their competitor that he would have preferred that his team lose if they couldn't win because you learn more when you have lost.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. The movie was the D3 Mighty Ducks film. :) :) :)

Last edited:
All of this may be true, but sometimes there are things that are more important than winning. I once heard a coach in a movie say after seeing his team tie with their competitor that he would have preferred that his team lose if they couldn't win because you learn more when you have lost.

Holly

For personal reasons I cannot agree that there are things more important than winning.

Holly
For personal reasons I cannot agree that there are things more important than winning.
I can understand that. What we experience in our lives is what makes us the way that we are. :) :) :)

Holly

I'm still looking for evidence that young people are less competitive as a result of our handing out participation awards.

What sport.....or what field of study is this supposed lack of competitiveness rearing it's ugly head?

It's a false meme.
Sad that you were provided exactly that - the evidence you have been screeching about - and consequently ignored it because it does not fit your preconceived notion.

Go back and deal with reality - celebrating participation is moronic.

I was given an opinion piece.

Tell me how fucking lame American athletes are. Go ahead. Tell me how issuing participation trophies to toddlers has fucked up the competitiveness of American athletes.

Universities are more competitive than ever.

Our athletes are better than ever....and compete harder than ever. Skills needed to compete are greater.

What you fools are failing to do is prove that this practice has had any negative impact at all on our competitiveness in sports or anything else.

Take your FEELINGS about what is happening and set them aside. Find some evidence.

I see evidence every day. The kids who are competitive are the leaders in school, their test scores rank among the best, they are more disciplined. They know it's not going to be given to them and they have to work for it. When these kids hit life, the job market, etc they will destroy their competition (the ones who got trophies for simply showing up and Daddy and Mommy beamed over).
Sassy you probably never played sports or even watch sports. Life doesn't work the way you portrayed.

You would be wrong, I water skied in competition. Life doesn't work the way you left tards portray it. The playing field isn't level and you can't make it level. While you coddle kids we will raise competitors and champions...and down the road you will scratch your heads why it tu
I'm saying WINNING, not just competing, is what we should be rewarding.

Exactly, anyone can compete but not everyone can be the winner. It's not fair to the child that practices 15-25 hours a week for some slacker to get a trophy just for showing up. That's not what builds champions

These participation trophies are for little kids who are so young till they are lucky to make it through the entire inning without wetting their pants, or chasing a butterfly off the field. They are just learning the game and the idea of playing on a team and having fun is really the best that can be expected of them. None of them are practicing 15-20 hours a week, and if they are their parents are idiots. Older kids should earn their trophies, but let the little kids just have some fun and give them a trophy to remember that fun.

That's not true, in gymnastics the kids start at 3-4 years old, some start in tumbling, some in gymnastics itself, they practice long hours
Sassy you probably never played sports or even watch sports. Life doesn't work the way you portrayed.

You would be wrong, I water skied in competition. Life doesn't work the way you left tards portray it. The playing field isn't level and you can't make it level. While you coddle kids we will raise competitors and champions...and down the road you will scratch your heads why it turned out that way.

I doubt it that you even play any kind of competition. If you did you will not be talking like that. This is sports not politics.

I don't really care what you doubt. How's that dumb ass? Heaven forbid someone have a different opinion than you, eh? You raise your kids the way you want and don't worry about how we raise ours, it's really none of your damn business....even though you think otherwise
I never mentioned anything in my post about raising a kid. I'm talking sports awards here where you don't know a shit. I really don't care how you raised your kids either.
You tried pretend that you know something but know nothing. You are a hypocrite.

I know participation trophies do nothing for a child...except prepare them for a life of failure. Get past I think you're anything but a moron, moron
You don't anything about trophy or anykind of award or any sport. Hypocrite.

In talking sports here not politics.
Do you people watch any professional sports at all? Something like basketball, football or baseball like that?
Are you all telling me that when Golden State Wariors won the NBA 2015 that only 8 players played. Only 8 should get the C-trophy? Because the other 4 did play should not get a trophy?
And I suppose you're going to tell me that the Seahawks got Super Bowl Losers Rings?

Peewee league teams don't normally get to the Super Bowl. You are talking about two completely different things.
Not in relation to what I was replying to.
I think college is a bit more advanced than peewee too. Don't you?
But continue with the bias. You're doing great.
I might even give you a trophy
So what in the world you are relying then? Is that cooking how fast you cook a hamburger?
I'm currently relying on you being incapable of correctly quoting the reply you are responding to.

But, if you absolutely MUST know (since you think that only people with a sports background can have an opinion on the matter), I played first base from age 9 until high school, raised a MLB that helped his team make it to State (no championship), and a grandson that's playing center field and FS for his HS team.
We all understand that second place doesn't get a trophy. Much less so for "participation"
What in the world are you talking about Hort?
We are NOT NOT talking about second place. Do you even understand how a team get a trophy? Let me educate you.
A team get a trophy because they won a championship.
It's because a player did not get participate in a championship game that doesn't mean he is disqualified in getting a trophy. It's a team it's not a partial team. It's a team sacrifice and hard work how they got into a championship game.

In glory or failure in winning or loosing in heaven or hell a team goes together.

Are you saying that only winners compete?

Exactly, anyone can compete but not everyone can be the winner. It's not fair to the child that practices 15-25 hours a week for some slacker to get a trophy just for showing up. That's not what builds champions

These participation trophies are for little kids who are so young till they are lucky to make it through the entire inning without wetting their pants, or chasing a butterfly off the field. They are just learning the game and the idea of playing on a team and having fun is really the best that can be expected of them. None of them are practicing 15-20 hours a week, and if they are their parents are idiots. Older kids should earn their trophies, but let the little kids just have some fun and give them a trophy to remember that fun.

Whats wrong with a banner with the team name,your name,date and record for the year?
Thats what I got as a kid when you didnt place in the top three.
And I realized we didnt place well enough for a trophy and I'd have to try harder next year.
Why cheapen the victors accomplishments? Seems petty to me.

Nothing is wrong with that at all, other than I think a small plastic trophy for each kid might be cheaper, and take up less room on the kids shelf in his room. It's not like it will be something they put on their resume as an adult. They're kids. Give them a trophy and then take them for ice cream. Quit trying to make some life changing event out of it. Plenty of time for that when they are older.

Whats wrong with a banner with the team name,your name,date and record for the year?
Thats what I got as a kid when you didnt place in the top three.
And I realized we didnt place well enough for a trophy and I'd have to try harder next year.
Why cheapen the victors accomplishments? Seems petty to me.

Nothing is wrong with that at all, other than I think a small plastic trophy for each kid might be cheaper, and take up less room on the kids shelf in his room. It's not like it will be something they put on their resume as an adult. They're kids. Give them a trophy and then take them for ice cream. Quit trying to make some life changing event out of it. Plenty of time for that when they are older.
There's never enough time

Billy, that's a fine example of a stupid opinion that has no factual basis.

While your leaders and fellow conservatives will keep telling you how special that opinion is, I'm here to tell you that it's dumber than dogshit.

But you're insane, therefore your assessments are suspect.

:clap2:
Good man!!!

Not everybody deserves a trophy

James Harrison rejects sons participation trophies

“I came home to find out that my boys received two trophies for nothing, participation trophies! While I am very proud of my boys for everything they do and will encourage them till the day I die, these trophies will be given back until they EARN a real trophy. I’m sorry I’m not sorry for believing that everything in life should be earned and I’m not about to raise to boys to be men by making them believe that they are entitled to something just because they tried their best…cause sometimes your best is not enough, and that should drive you to want to do better…not cry and whine until somebody gives you something to shut u up and keep you happy. #harrisonfamilyvalues

I agree. No kid should bet a trophy or a ribbon for just being there and participating.

The only ones who get those are those who won.

Talk about bullshit. Giving everyone a trophy for participating. What a load of shit.

I see evidence every day. The kids who are competitive are the leaders in school, their test scores rank among the best, they are more disciplined. They know it's not going to be given to them and they have to work for it. When these kids hit life, the job market, etc they will destroy their competition (the ones who got trophies for simply showing up and Daddy and Mommy beamed over).

You would be wrong, I water skied in competition. Life doesn't work the way you left tards portray it. The playing field isn't level and you can't make it level. While you coddle kids we will raise competitors and champions...and down the road you will scratch your heads why it tu

That's not true, in gymnastics the kids start at 3-4 years old, some start in tumbling, some in gymnastics itself, they practice long hours
You would be wrong, I water skied in competition. Life doesn't work the way you left tards portray it. The playing field isn't level and you can't make it level. While you coddle kids we will raise competitors and champions...and down the road you will scratch your heads why it turned out that way.

I doubt it that you even play any kind of competition. If you did you will not be talking like that. This is sports not politics.

I don't really care what you doubt. How's that dumb ass? Heaven forbid someone have a different opinion than you, eh? You raise your kids the way you want and don't worry about how we raise ours, it's really none of your damn business....even though you think otherwise
I never mentioned anything in my post about raising a kid. I'm talking sports awards here where you don't know a shit. I really don't care how you raised your kids either.
You tried pretend that you know something but know nothing. You are a hypocrite.

I know participation trophies do nothing for a child...except prepare them for a life of failure. Get past I think you're anything but a moron, moron
You don't anything about trophy or anykind of award or any sport. Hypocrite.

Stop being a know it all asshole. You're failing miserably.

And I suppose you're going to tell me that the Seahawks got Super Bowl Losers Rings?

Peewee league teams don't normally get to the Super Bowl. You are talking about two completely different things.
Not in relation to what I was replying to.
I think college is a bit more advanced than peewee too. Don't you?
But continue with the bias. You're doing great.
I might even give you a trophy
So what in the world you are relying then? Is that cooking how fast you cook a hamburger?
I'm currently relying on you being incapable of correctly quoting the reply you are responding to.

But, if you absolutely MUST know (since you think that only people with a sports background can have an opinion on the matter), I played first base from age 9 until high school, raised a MLB that helped his team make it to State (no championship), and a grandson that's playing center field and FS for his HS team.
We all understand that second place doesn't get a trophy. Much less so for "participation"
What in the world are you talking about Hort?
We are NOT NOT talking about second place. Do you even understand how a team get a trophy? Let me educate you.
A team get a trophy because they won a championship.
It's because a player did not get participate in a championship game that doesn't mean he is disqualified in getting a trophy. It's a team it's not a partial team. It's a team sacrifice and hard work how they got into a championship game.

In glory or failure in winning or loosing in heaven or hell a team goes together.

It's "losing" not "loosing". No trophy for you, :asshole:

Last edited:
My 5 year old got a participation trophy for playing tee-ball this year. I think it was a nice gesture by the league. All the kids were pretty excited to get the trophy. At that age I think the goal is to just get your kid interested in sports and hopefully watch them have fun while learning the game. The trophy was just the icing on the cake. As they grow up they do need to learn you earn you way. (disclosure - I have no idea how old James Harrison's kids are)

Our athletes are better than ever....and compete harder than ever. Skills needed to compete are greater.

What you fools are failing to do is prove that this practice has had any negative impact at all on our competitiveness in sports or anything else.

Take your FEELINGS about what is happening and set them aside. Find some evidence.

^^^^ coming from someone who claims to own multiple businesses but doesn't know how a business operates. You also don't know shit about sports because real athletes treat it as a competition. Is there anything about your life that's real?

^^^^ coming from someone who claims to own multiple businesses but doesn't know how a business operates. You also don't know shit about sports because real athletes treat it as a competition. Is there anything about your life that's real?
Poor grammar, spelling and punctuation come to mind

Water skied in competition....:lol:

Forum List

Back