Jeb Bush: Next president should privatize Social Security

Because the sheep don't understand the concept of choice.

They are all so afraid of the stock market they don't realize they could save their money in other places

It isn't the stock market they fear, it's responsibility.

Leftist drones will suffer any indignity, including death, just so they never have to take blame for the outcomes that affect them. Camp yearns for a dictator to rule over him simply because then his fate will never be his fault.

I don't fear responsibility. Quite the opposite. I fear irresponsibility. In this context, I fear the irresponsibility of the dollar averaged moron Warren Buffet wanna be investors.
Why ar you so fearful? Do you need a psychiatrist?

Because the sheep don't understand the concept of choice.

They are all so afraid of the stock market they don't realize they could save their money in other places

It isn't the stock market they fear, it's responsibility.

Leftist drones will suffer any indignity, including death, just so they never have to take blame for the outcomes that affect them. Camp yearns for a dictator to rule over him simply because then his fate will never be his fault.

I don't fear responsibility. Quite the opposite. I fear irresponsibility. In this context, I fear the irresponsibility of the dollar averaged moron Warren Buffet wanna be investors.
Why ar you so fearful? Do you need a psychiatrist?

I've read history.

PratchettFan
In that you are a citizen of this country and take advantage of the benefits of this country. You don't get that for free.
Hm. That sounds statutory.
Where does the constitution say that as the price of being a citizen of this country, I am responsible for the poor decisions of others?

That would fall under Congress' authority to legislate and to provide for the general welfare. You will notice it didn't say just your welfare. General means everyone. As a citizen of this nation you have a duty to this nation. It is hoped people understand that and see it for what it is - a privilege offered to few. But that isn't necessary. Ultimately, you are free. If you don't think the deal is worth it, then you can find somewhere with a better offer. But your continued residence is a consent to the deal.

Whoever said you were?
You.
You want the state to cover people when they make poor choices.
That makes me responsible.
Indeed it does. Living in a first world country isn't free.
In what way am I for the poor decisions of others?

In that you are a citizen of this country and take advantage of the benefits of this country. You don't get that for free.
I think he pays taxes like anyone else.

I think that is the objection being made.

PratchettFan
Where does the constitution say that as the price of being a citizen of this country, I am responsible for the poor decisions of others?

Social Security makes you responsible for yourself. You'd prefer irresponsibility.

PratchettFan
It doesn't. It gives the power to legislate to Congress. They legislated.
PratchettFan
That would fall under Congress' authority to legislate and to provide for the general welfare. You will notice it didn't say just your welfare. General means everyone. As a citizen of this nation you have a duty to this nation. It is hoped people understand that and see it for what it is - a privilege offered to few. But that isn't necessary. Ultimately, you are free. If you don't think the deal is worth it, then you can find somewhere with a better offer. But your continued residence is a consent to the deal.
Ah. You're one of those.
Never mind.

PratchettFan
Social Security makes you responsible for yourself. You'd prefer irresponsibility.
This is, of course, a lie.
I prefer choice, and once the choices.are made. expect others to take responsibility for their choices.
You know, like a responsible adult.

PratchettFan
PratchettFan
Ah. You're one of those.
Never mind.

Yes. And you are one of those.

PratchettFan
PratchettFan
Ah. You're one of those.
Never mind.
Tell me: What your argument against others who want to impose their disagreeable version of morality upon you, and then succeed?

PratchettFan
I prefer choice, and once the choices.are made. expect others to take responsibility for their choices.

Successful investment has very little to do with anyone's choices, especially when it involves people who are not professional investors.

PratchettFan
Successful investment has very little to do with anyone's choices....
Right, Successful investors are just lucky.

PratchettFan

For the most part, and even more so for non-professionals . The fact that you think otherwise is part of why I favor you being forced to contribute to SS.

PratchettFan
PratchettFan
Ah. You're one of those.
Never mind.
Tell me: What your argument against others who want to impose their disagreeable version of morality upon you, and then succeed?

I do what I assume you are doing. I obey the law. I argue against it, I try to make my voice heard, but ultimately the law itself is more important than that it coincide with my desires. If I think the law is truly unacceptable, then I have the choice of obeying, disobeying and accepting the consequences or leaving.

For the most part, and even more so for non-professionals
I see.
I have no issue with you lying to yourself like this -- but do you lie to your kids in a similar manner?

Ah. You're one of those.
Never mind.
I do what I assume you are doing. I obey the law. I argue against it, I try to make my voice heard, but ultimately the law itself is more important than that it coincide with my desires. If I think the law is truly unacceptable, then I have the choice of obeying, disobeying and accepting the consequences or leaving.
More likely, you scream like a stuck pig.

I see.
I have no issue with you lying to yourself like this -- but do you lie to your kids in a similar manner?

Here's a quiz for you - Suppose you received in the mail a letter from a man who claims to be able to predict the market, asking you to invest with him, and he makes a prediction in the letter that the S&P 500 will go up over the next week. He turns out to be correct in his prediction. Do you invest with him? Of course not, it was one week, one prediction. But suppose he kept sending you letters, week after week - and each week he successfully predicts which way the market moves. How many weeks until you are convinced to invest with him?

I see.
Here's a quiz for you - Suppose you received in the mail a letter from a man who claims to be able to predict the market, asking you to invest with him, and he makes a prediction in the letter that the S&P 500 will go up over the next week. He turns out to be correct in his prediction. Do you invest with him? Of course not, it was one week, one prediction. But suppose he kept sending you letters, week after week - and each week he successfully predicts which way the market moves. How many weeks until you are convinced to invest with him?
Not sure how any of that is relevant to the fact that you 're lying to yourself.
Neither are you.

I see.
Not sure how any of that is relevant to the fact that you 're lying to yourself.
Neither are you.

I'm betting you'd lose a fortune on the guy after about 10 weeks of him 'successfully' predicting the market.

I seriously feel much better knowing you have some guaranteed SS income coming even if your investment turn bad. Naive idiots like yourself are the precise reason the market booms and busts so hard in the first place.

I see.
Neither are you.
I'm betting you'd lose a fortune on the guy after about 10 weeks of him 'successfully' predicting the market.
Apparently. you don't even know you're lying to yourself. Scary.

Privatizing Social Security is a vote losing proposition and, more importantly, is completely unnecessary. Jeb seems confused -- or is he deliberately confusing?

The old age pension part of SS is by far the largest program. Its actuarial problems are small to modest. Simply removing the cap on taxing earnings ($117,000 in 2014) would solve the funding shortfall. The last I looked SS old age pensions are also incredibly popular among both Democratic and Republican voters.

The disability insurance program is more of a challenge, despite its being far smaller in budgetary terms. More workers have been applying for DI benefits in recent years due to a weak economy. The problem would ease if labor force participation picks up. Will it ever pick up is the question?

Medicare (linked to but not an integral part of Social Security) and Medicaid (federal-state funding under public assistance) have both been plagued by rising costs under a broken health care system. Obamacare has made some inroads towards reining in costs -- and would have done much more if a single payer program had been passed instead of the hodgepodge that we have now.

But don't Republicans -- Jeb included -- want to kill Obamacare? Doing so would return us to the status quo which was largely responsible for the problem to begin with. Of course, there is always Paul Ryan's voucher plan, which would last about 10 minutes of careful scrutiny in terms of its impact on older citizens.

This is madness! It is also rank stupidity! I can't believe that there are Republican policy advisers out there counseling Jeb (and Chris Christie) on Social Security and Medicare. Hillary or any other Democratic candidate would tear Jeb or Christie to pieces in a debate, making them look as ignorant as they apparently are.

Forum List

Back