Jeb Bush's Foreign Policy Plan: More Military Spending Will 'Encourage Peace'

Ah, this is what it's about. Punishing the poor.
No one wants to punish poor people. We'd prefer every poor person in the whole bloody world was well off. Poor people make piss poor customers and tend to vote for whoever gives them the most free shit.

If there's any punishment to be handed out, it should come in the form of, "You've been getting a hand out long enough. Get a JOB. Justify your existence. Face your responsibilities."

That is really silly because there are NOT enough jobs for everyone. Not everyone can afford college here in America because it is outrageously expensive. With the prices of everything rising, especially food and utilities, a person can work 2 and 3 jobs and STILL have to rely on food stamps and Medicaid in order to just survive. We are a country of 318.9 MILLION people. Do you think there are THAT many jobs?
If you think you need college to make decent money, that's just crazy.
I have 3 children from 36 to 30. My daughter is the only one with a degree and while she does quite well, (low 6 figures) she earns less than her brothers. Incidentally, the one who dropped out of High School to pursue an art career earns more than his siblings combined.

If there are not enough jobs out there, what's to stop anyone from creating a job. Hell a friend of mine goes to a produce distributor and buys veggies. He sets up a tent and some tables and makes a killing selling produce grown in Alabama. He does quite well.

Another friend lost his job in '09 and has been working odd jobs to feed his family ever since. Lately, he found a good deal on a mobile welder and has set up his own shop. He's doing pretty well too.

Anyone can do it. All it takes is some self control in order to save a few bucks to get a business off the ground. You don't "need" the latest iphone or a 60" TV or a new Prius. Make do with less in order to get more down the road.

Most anyone who wants a college education bad enough can get one. Maybe not Yale or Princeton, but a 2 year community college for next to nothing followed by night courses is how I did it.

Of course, if I had worked harder in high school, I could have gotten scholarships that would have covered most, if not all of MIT.
A high school classmate of mine did the work expected and swore off the beer and pot I didn't avoid and got a full ride to Cooper Union.

How do you expect a person who is on welfare to afford ANY college? So . . . you support government funded student loans then?
Government funded? NO! I do support student loans at prevailing interest rates that will be repaid by those that entered into the contracts.

Of course you can't afford college on welfare. Welfare isn't supposed to provide for your every wish. It's to assist you while you get your shit together and work to get off the government's teat.

Think, Ernie, think! What do you think happens when people have no options and are starving?

They fight and have civil wars because of civil unrest because the people are STARVING and can't find JOBS, and their government offers them NO help and just basically ignores their plight. Do you people think anyone WANTS to live like that?
Hell no. They are not my responsibility either.

Yes, as a country, we pull together to make things work. It is everyone's responsibility, and if the poor are not cared for, then it will become everyone's problem. It doesn't really matter what you think of them or their lifestyle. It is what it is.
We have cared for the poor for 50 years to the tune of $22 trillion and we have half again as many poor people. We have lost the war on poverty. We need to fire the generals leading it and develop a new strategy.

Ah, this is what it's about. Punishing the poor.
No one wants to punish poor people. We'd prefer every poor person in the whole bloody world was well off. Poor people make piss poor customers and tend to vote for whoever gives them the most free shit.

If there's any punishment to be handed out, it should come in the form of, "You've been getting a hand out long enough. Get a JOB. Justify your existence. Face your responsibilities."

That is really silly because there are NOT enough jobs for everyone. Not everyone can afford college here in America because it is outrageously expensive. With the prices of everything rising, especially food and utilities, a person can work 2 and 3 jobs and STILL have to rely on food stamps and Medicaid in order to just survive. We are a country of 318.9 MILLION people. Do you think there are THAT many jobs?
I have 3 children from 36 to 30. My daughter is the only one with a degree and while she does quite well, (low 6 figures) she earns less than her brothers. Incidentally, the one who dropped out of High School to pursue an art career earns more than his siblings combined.

If there are not enough jobs out there, what's to stop anyone from creating a job. Hell a friend of mine goes to a produce distributor and buys veggies. He sets up a tent and some tables and makes a killing selling produce grown in Alabama. He does quite well.

Another friend lost his job in '09 and has been working odd jobs to feed his family ever since. Lately, he found a good deal on a mobile welder and has set up his own shop. He's doing pretty well too.

Anyone can do it. All it takes is some self control in order to save a few bucks to get a business off the ground. You don't "need" the latest iphone or a 60" TV or a new Prius. Make do with less in order to get more down the road.

Most anyone who wants a college education bad enough can get one. Maybe not Yale or Princeton, but a 2 year community college for next to nothing followed by night courses is how I did it.

Of course, if I had worked harder in high school, I could have gotten scholarships that would have covered most, if not all of MIT.
A high school classmate of mine did the work expected and swore off the beer and pot I didn't avoid and got a full ride to Cooper Union.

How do you expect a person who is on welfare to afford ANY college? So . . . you support government funded student loans then?
Government funded? NO! I do support student loans at prevailing interest rates that will be repaid by those that entered into the contracts.

Of course you can't afford college on welfare. Welfare isn't supposed to provide for your every wish. It's to assist you while you get your shit together and work to get off the government's teat.

Student loans are funded by the federal government. They ARE supposed to be paid back, but if a person cannot get a JOB, then they cannot pay it back now, can they?

They fight and have civil wars because of civil unrest because the people are STARVING and can't find JOBS, and their government offers them NO help and just basically ignores their plight. Do you people think anyone WANTS to live like that?

Yes, as a country, we pull together to make things work. It is everyone's responsibility, and if the poor are not cared for, then it will become everyone's problem. It doesn't really matter what you think of them or their lifestyle. It is what it is.
We have cared for the poor for 50 years to the tune of $22 trillion and we have half again as many poor people. We have lost the war on poverty. We need to fire the generals leading it and develop a new strategy.

No we haven't. It could be a lot LOT worse. We have a very good and well-functioning country, relatively speaking and considering.

What's your idea? Rely on the generosity of people like you? :D

And where are the jobs going to come from?
from your own skill set and imagination as I explained. Create something! Do something better or cheaper than anyone else Get off your ass!

from your own skill set and imagination as I explained. Create something! Do something better or cheaper than anyone else Get off your ass!

Do some research. Find me one successful country that does not have some kind of social service program to help the poor. I'll be waiting.

No we haven't. It could be a lot LOT worse. We have a very good and well-functioning country, relatively speaking and considering.
Except that we have created a class of people who have no skills other that how to slide an EBT card into a slot and punch in a 4 digit PIN number.

Do some research. Find me one successful country that does not have some kind of social service program to help the poor. I'll be waiting.
I never said we shouldn't have social services. What I have said is there must be a limit to how much we give away and for how long, else we have a permanent welfare class.

Why yes, in part. How many homeless people have YOU taken in, in the last 5 years? 6 here for a total of 55 out of 60 months.

I never said we shouldn't have social services. What I have said is there must be a limit to how much we give away and for how long, else we have a permanent welfare class.

Based on your state that you live, there are already such rules in place. For instance, here in Massachusetts, a person is not allowed to collect welfare for more than 2 years.

What is a woman with 4 children supposed to do? Do you know how much daycare costs for just ONE child?

Why yes, in part. How many homeless people have YOU taken in, in the last 5 years? 6 here for a total of 55 out of 60 months.

I haven't taken in any homeless people. I am a single woman who lives alone in a small townhouse. Your argument is silly because most people cannot afford to care for other people as well as themselves, and a lot of people just don't want to or don't care. These are the facts. IF we didn't have any kind of safety net for these people . . . I would hate to think of what would happen. Our social services are in place for a reason, not to be mean to you and waste your tax money, and actually only relatively a small portion of your tax monies goes to help the poor. And if you would do it anyways, what's your beef? And also, are you willing to forgo your social security when you can no longer work? That is ALSO a form of welfare for the old people.

Policy Basics Where Do Our Federal Tax Dollars Go Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Safety net programs: About 12 percent of the federal budget in 2013, or $398 billion, supported programs that provide aid (other than health insurance or Social Security benefits) to individuals and families facing hardship. Spending on safety net programs declined in both nominal and real terms between 2012 and 2013 as the economy continued to improve.

policybasics-wheretaxdollarsgo-f1.png

I do.... The woman with 4 children shouldn't have had 4 kids without the ability to support them. The system rewards irresponsible behavior.

OK so your woman has 4 kids and works at walmart. The state pays for child care. Should the woman be working at walmart without a prayer of advancing, or should she be going to a community college or a trade school to learn some skills? I'm good with that. 2 years and you're on your own. Hopefully you were responsible enough to apply yourself in school. Either way..... bu bye.

I do.... The woman with 4 children shouldn't have had 4 kids without the ability to support them. The system rewards irresponsible behavior.

OK so your woman has 4 kids and works at walmart. The state pays for child care. Should the woman be working at walmart without a prayer of advancing, or should she be going to a community college or a trade school to learn some skills? I'm good with that. 2 years and you're on your own. Hopefully you were responsible enough to apply yourself in school. Either way..... bu bye.

Well, she did. Too late now. It is not rewarding her. It is helping her to provide for those children. Otherwise, they would starve, not have any medical care, not have any home, etc., etc. What the hell kind of country do you think this would be then?

My beef is, my way, I get to choose who gets the benefit of my generosity and can turn them away when they don't follow my rules as I did Saturday.

1 in 6 ain't too bad. I've done a lot of good the other 5 are working and have a roof and food. One bought her own place.

So, she goes to trade school or college and graduates and still can't find a job, because there are not 300,000 million jobs out there, somebody (a lot of people) are going to not be able to find jobs. Then what?

My beef is, my way, I get to choose who gets the benefit of my generosity and can turn them away when they don't follow my rules as I did Saturday.

1 in 6 ain't too bad. I've done a lot of good the other 5 are working and have a roof and food. One bought her own place.

Well, see, this is the problem. Those people who don't get cared for.

Most people do not help others as much as you do, Ernie. You MUST realize that.

The reason we have these programs is not to HURT you. It is because they were needed. Any country that does not have a social services program is a third world country. That is a fact.

Well, see, this is the problem. Those people who don't get cared for.
I do my part. I just wish everyone who's so generous with my money was as generous with their own.

Forum List

Back