Jeb Bush's Foreign Policy Plan: More Military Spending Will 'Encourage Peace'

Whether or not we like these people, approve of them or their lifestyles, is pretty irrelevant to what would happened if they are ignored. People will do what it takes to survive. Usually, that means turning to crime and also depression and drug use, alcoholism, violence, etc.

My beef is, my way, I get to choose who gets the benefit of my generosity and can turn them away when they don't follow my rules as I did Saturday.

1 in 6 ain't too bad. I've done a lot of good the other 5 are working and have a roof and food. One bought her own place.

Well, see, this is the problem. Those people who don't get cared for.
I do my part. I just wish everyone who's so generous with my money was as generous with their own.

Most people, in today's economy, are barely scraping by themselves. They just cannot do it or just won't. Those are the facts. That is why we NEED our social service programs.

Hell, Chris! I'm just scraping by myself. I own a business that I haven't taken a dime out of. I pay huge taxes on alcohol, gross sales, income, utilities. I pay government mandated fees and licenses, special insurance policies. I pay weird taxes on my phones and internet, pay triple for cable TV.
Yeah I know what scraping by is.
Still I am compelled to take in strays and lend money to people I only half expect will be able to pay me back. Why? Because I'm generous, yet somehow I'm an evil ogre because you think the government is better at spending my money than I am.

Whether or not we like these people, approve of them or their lifestyles, is pretty irrelevant to what would happened if they are ignored. People will do what it takes to survive. Usually, that means turning to crime and also depression and drug use, alcoholism, violence, etc.
I planned on moving in with you....

Hell, Chris! I'm just scraping by myself. I own a business that I haven't taken a dime out of. I pay huge taxes on alcohol, gross sales, income, utilities. I pay government mandated fees and licenses, special insurance policies. I pay weird taxes on my phones and internet, pay triple for cable TV.
Still I am compelled to take in strays and lend money to people I only half expect will be able to pay me back. Why? Because I'm generous, yet somehow I'm an evil ogre because you think the government is better at spending my money than I am.

You completely miss the point. The point is that MOST people are not going to help the poor. Those are the facts. There is no country that is successful which relies on the charity of others. All of those are third world countries. We NEED our social services program or people will starve and die, not to mention the increase in crime and violence that would occur. If you don't take care of the poor, they WILL revolt. This has been proven time and time again throughout history and even today.

You have a home. You have phone (s), cable, internet, a business. THAT is not scraping by, Ernie.

Scraping by would be barely able to afford enough food to feed yourself and your children. Having no cell phone, internet or cable. Worrying about being evicted from your home, things like that.

You completely miss the point. The point is that MOST people are not going to help the poor. Those are the facts. There is no country that is successful which relies on the charity of others. All of those are third world countries. We NEED our social services program or people will starve and die, not to mention the increase in crime and violence that would occur. If you don't take care of the poor, they WILL revolt. This has been proven time and time again throughout history and even today.
MOST people pay to help the poor through their taxes. Johnson's "war on poverty has shown that that system is broken. Let's look for ways to fix it. If you suddenly had $3,000 more to spend, would you help someone less fortunate? Or would you still expect me to pay higher taxes to support a failed policy?

President George W. Bush proved that no amount of military spending can overcome having an idiot in the White House: 1) he ignored pre-9/11 warnings and 2) terrorists used our own planes against us to carry out the greatest terrorist attack ever on the American homeland. From the terrorists standpoint, it was cheap and highly effective. Intelligence at all levels of government is the key to overcoming and preventing terrorism - not more military might.
Yes, like Benghazi?

Let's look at this another way. How many people do you think would give up their internet and use that money to give to charity? Lol.

MOST people pay to help the poor through their taxes. Johnson's "war on poverty has shown that that system is broken. Let's look for ways to fix it. If you suddenly had $3,000 more to spend, would you help someone less fortunate? Or would you still expect me to pay higher taxes to support a failed policy?

Exactly. Because you cannot rely on charity to take care of the poor. It is impossible.

It's not a failed policy. Our country is very successful. That is because of our social service programs. We do not a huge population of people who are starving and destitute. If we were to abandon our social service programs, that is what would happen. People would become desperate, our crime rates and violence would rise, etc.

Please try to keep this relevant to US policy, unless of course, you want to raise my taxes to pay for child care in Brazil.

The consequences of poverty are the same everywhere.
Yes they are and the Government of Brazil should be working on their problem.

It doesn't matter if it is Brazil, Liberia, Nigeria, Afghanistan, or anyplace else. If you let poverty run rampant, your country will become a failure.

Exactly. Because you cannot rely on charity to take care of the poor. It is impossible.
Sure you can rely on charity. The government needs to support charity and stop discriminating against goodwill because of Christian faith.

No. It's not. People did not starve during the great depression. They did what they had to to survive and made us the strongest, most benevolent society in history.
50 years of coddling the chronically lazy has destroyed that.

Forum List

Back