Jeb Bush's Foreign Policy Plan: More Military Spending Will 'Encourage Peace'

78D2DE19-DCAB-4C20-89DD-824E75D518DA.jpg
Picture is not from the depression. It is from 1948.

It was Aug. 27, 1950, and Mills claims she was sold for $2 so her mother could have bingo money and because the man her mother was dating did not want anything to do with the children.

OKLAHOMA CITY. Jan. 20 (AP)-A crowd of men and women, shouting that they were hungry and jobless, raided a grocery store near the City Hall today. Twenty-six of the men were arrested. Scores loitered near the city jail following the arrests, but kept well out of range of fire hoses made ready for use in case of another disturbance.

The police tonight broke up a second meeting of about one hundred unemployed men and arrested Francis Owens, alleged head of the "Oklahoma City Unemployed Council," who was accused of instigating the raid.
And? We still have looters, but they loot when they're well fed these days.

During the Great Depression, is when a lot of our worst criminals in history appeared. There was a very sharp rise in crime. People who are destitute and desperate will do what they have to do for survival.
Prohibition, dear. About the same as drug cartels these days.

It was Aug. 27, 1950, and Mills claims she was sold for $2 so her mother could have bingo money and because the man her mother was dating did not want anything to do with the children.

No it isn't. I got it from this link.

Sold-off siblings shown in old photo tell their stories Hammond Community News

Original caption: August 4, 1948 - Chicago, Illinois: They're on the auction block. These small children of Mr. and Mrs. Ray Chalifoux of Chicago, Illinois. For long months 40 year old Ray and his wife, Lucille, 24, waged a desperate but losing battle to keep food in the mouth and a roof over their heads. Now jobless and facing eviction from their near barren flat, the Chalifoux have surrendered to their heart breaking decision. Photo shows mother sobbing as the children pose wonderingly on the steps. Left to right: Lana,6. Rae, 5. Milton, 4. Sue Ellen, 2 years old. --- Image by Bettmann/CORBIS

OKLAHOMA CITY. Jan. 20 (AP)-A crowd of men and women, shouting that they were hungry and jobless, raided a grocery store near the City Hall today. Twenty-six of the men were arrested. Scores loitered near the city jail following the arrests, but kept well out of range of fire hoses made ready for use in case of another disturbance.

The police tonight broke up a second meeting of about one hundred unemployed men and arrested Francis Owens, alleged head of the "Oklahoma City Unemployed Council," who was accused of instigating the raid.

During the Great Depression, is when a lot of our worst criminals in history appeared. There was a very sharp rise in crime. People who are destitute and desperate will do what they have to do for survival.

Are you actually claiming that people do not sell their children and do terrible things when they are in poverty? Well you would be WRONG.

Where do the drug cartels come from? Mexico and other 3rd world countries. Getting it yet?

Original caption: August 4, 1948 - Chicago, Illinois: They're on the auction block. These small children of Mr. and Mrs. Ray Chalifoux of Chicago, Illinois. For long months 40 year old Ray and his wife, Lucille, 24, waged a desperate but losing battle to keep food in the mouth and a roof over their heads. Now jobless and facing eviction from their near barren flat, the Chalifoux have surrendered to their heart breaking decision. Photo shows mother sobbing as the children pose wonderingly on the steps. Left to right: Lana,6. Rae, 5. Milton, 4. Sue Ellen, 2 years old. --- Image by Bettmann/CORBIS
Read farther along

Read farther along

They were poor and did terrible things. THAT is the point. Poor desperate people will do terrible things. What don't you understand about this fact?

Where do the drug cartels come from? Mexico and other 3rd world countries. Getting it yet?
In Mexico they call them cartels. In Chicago they call them gang bangers. The people doing the selling are doing pretty well, but they're selling misery to their customers, most of whom are poor already. Want me to subsidize their heroine habits now?

Read farther along

What you read is about one of the adoptive parents of the children.

WASHINGTON -- Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush will lay out a vision of American foreign policy on Wednesday aimed at pushing his nascent 2016 presidential campaign out of the shadow of his father and brother, two former presidents who waged overseas wars.

"I love my father and my brother … But I am my own man –- and my views are shaped by my own thinking and own experiences," Bush will say in a speech to the Chicago Council on Global Affairs, according to excerpts provided to reporters late Tuesday night.

In his first major foreign policy address, the likely 2016 Republican front-runner will make the case for increased military spending so America can "project power and enforce peaceful stability in far-off areas of the globe." He will also criticize President Barack Obama's foreign policy, calling it "inconsistent and indecisive."

"Having a military that is equal to any threat ... makes it less likely that we will need to put our men and women in uniform in harm’s way," Bush plans to tell attendees, adding that he believes "fundamentally, that weakness invites war… and strength encourages peace."

The idea that a bigger U.S. military would act as a bigger deterrent to potential foes is one that reached its apex during the Cold War, but has been repeatedly challenged in the 21st century by the rise of global terrorism and sectarian conflicts.

More: Jeb Bush's Foreign Policy Plan: More Military Spending Will 'Encourage Peace'

So, Jeb plans to ride the boogeyman to the White House. More Bush fearmongering and warmongering.
Borrowing MORE money (on the taxpayer dime) to create a defense industrial complex bubble like Raygun did? No thanks.

Read farther along

They were poor and did terrible things. THAT is the point. Poor desperate people will do terrible things. What don't you understand about this fact?
I understand. I just reject your solution.
It has failed for 50 years. It will never succeed. We need drastic fundamental changes in the way we combat poverty.

Read farther along

She was sold for 2 bucks 22 days after the picture was published. most likely by her natural mother, but the article is not clear.
Of course, had she been resold, the article would likely relate that to elicit more sympathy.

I'm done, Chris. I like you and am frustrated by your desire to continue failed policy without entertaining a drastic change. I'll back off before I say something I'll regret.

Read farther along

She was sold for 2 bucks 22 days after the picture was published. most likely by her natural mother, but the article is not clear.
Of course, had she been resold, the article would likely relate that to elicit more sympathy.

It doesn't even matter. The point is, people who are destitute and desperate WILL sell their children, will turn to prostitution and crime.

I'm done, Chris. I like you and am frustrated by your desire to continue failed policy without entertaining a drastic change. I'll back off before I say something I'll regret.

Well, maybe if you would come up with a viable alternative. Charity is NOT going to cut it. I think you know I'm right and just don't want to admit it.

Read farther along

It doesn't even matter. The point is, people who are destitute and desperate WILL sell their children, will turn to prostitution and crime.
Agreed. How do you get them out of poverty? The Great Society is obviously not the answer.

Read farther along

Agreed. How do you get them out of poverty? The Great Society is obviously not the answer.

Charity is not going to pay for all of the poor people's rents, utilities, food and medical bills. We don't have any other viable alternative than to do it with tax money. :dunno: There are tons of charitable organizations out there, but they just can't do enough. Not in a country of over 300,000 million people.

We are never going to rid ourselves of poverty. There will always be poverty, but we can help to make lives better. If you don't help the poor, the country is going to turn into a shit hole, similar to what has happened in Detroit. There will be civil unrest and a huge increase in crime. Not to mention shanty towns and the like, people crapping in the streets, etc.

And because of our poor economy as of late, there are already shanty towns popping up.

The surging number of homeless people in Fresno, a city of 500,000 people, has been a surprise. City officials say they have three major encampments near downtown and smaller settlements along two highways. All told, as many 2,000 people are homeless here, according to Gregory Barfield, the city’s homeless prevention and policy manager, who said that drug use, prostitution and violence were all too common in the encampments.

That’s all part of that underground economy,” Mr. Barfield said. “It’s what happens when a person is trying to survive.

He said the city planned to begin “triage” on the encampments in the next several weeks, to determine how many people needed services and permanent housing. “We’re treating it like any other disaster area,” Mr. Barfield said.

Mr. Barfield took over his newly created position in January, after the county and city adopted a 10-year plan to address homelessness. A class-action lawsuit brought on behalf of homeless people against the city and the California Department of Transportation led to a $2.35 million settlement in 2008, making money available to about 350 residents who had had their belongings discarded in sweeps by the city.

The growing encampments led the city to place portable toilets and security guards near one area known as New Jack City, named after a dark and drug-filled 1991 movie. But that just attracted more homeless people.

“It was just kind of an invitation to move in,” said Mr. Stack, the outreach center manager.

On a recent afternoon, nobody seemed thrilled to be living in New Jack City, a filthy collection of rain- and wind-battered tents in a garbage-strewn lot. Several weary-looking residents sat on decaying sofas as a pair of pit bulls chained to a fence howled.

Northwest of New Jack City sits a somewhat less grim encampment. It is sometimes called Taco Flats or Little Tijuana because of the large number of Latino residents, many of whom were drawn to Fresno on the promise of agricultural jobs, which have dried up in the face of the poor economy and a three-year drought.

Guillermo Flores, 32, said he had looked for work in the fields and in fast food, but had found nothing. For the last eight months, he has collected cans, recycling them for $5 to $10 a day, and lived in a hand-built, three-room shack, a home that he takes pride in, with a door, clean sheets on his bed and a bowl full of fresh apples in his propane-powered kitchen area.

“I just built it because I need it,” said Mr. Flores, as he cooked a dinner of chili peppers, eggs and onions over a fire. “The only problem I have is the spiders.”

Dozens of homeless men and women here have found more organized shelter at the Village of Hope, a collection of 8-by-10-foot storage sheds built by the nonprofit group Poverello House and overseen by Mr. Stack. Planted in a former junkyard behind a chain-link fence, each unit contains two cots, sleeping bags and a solar-powered light.

Doug Brown, a freelance electrical engineer, said he had discovered the Village of Hope while unemployed a few years back and had returned after losing his job in October. Mr. Stoops, of the homeless coalition, predicted that the population at such new Hoovervilles could grow as those without places to live slowly burned through their options and joined the ranks of the chronically homeless, many of whom are indigent as a result of illiteracy, alcoholism, mental illness and drug abuse.

Forum List

Back