Jerry Falwell just died

LMAO. I guess the appeals to decency and your condemnation for uncivility weren't genuine after all. So much for consistency.

I suppose it is easier to assume than it is to comprehend...

what could be MORE civil than making an obscure movie reference?

must I remind you that his followers were no more brainwashed than a liberal arts education at a state college? .

I have yet to see a state college that admits students before they are old enough to make decisions for themselves.

They chose to enroll as adults. Not children.

Watch "Jesus Camp" and imagine how hard it is to leave your family and everyone you know and change your beliefs because you have doubts.

The extremest, of the extreme, and im talking Evangelical Christians, make up over 80 million people in the US, these people could collectively control elections, all based on what they are indoctrinated with from birth.

- The man on the podium speaks the word of God. Listen or be cast out from the world you know.

so are you ready to throw the amish under the bus too?

ANYONE whose upbringing doesnt fit your opinion of a standard?

do christians not qualify for that pesky little first amendment like pagans and muslims do?

who are you to judge them for instilling in their progeny their culture and lifestyle? are you similarly critical of muslim families these days? jews?

did someone crown you king while I was in the back rolling a left handed cigarette?

dude.. heres a hint.. if the MAJORITY of the POPULATION feel the same way as Falwell then guess how the DEMOCRATIC PROCESS will result...

again, if anything Falwell proved the relevance of democracy and for that you should be thankful. It seems to me that you shouldnt ahve to chew on sour grapes if your message to the people is clearly better than that his ilk are selling... why blame Falwell because his message was clearer and was more identifiable to the very population using the democratic process to direct the culture? Sure would seem to beat a few hours of dismemberment from an actual tyrant, yes?

so far, the only complaint that I see is that he had an opinon and a following that pushed an agenda that you dont agree with..

is it lost on you that MANY in America think the exact same thing about your political ideology?

DESPITE their parental influence growing up?

so are you ready to throw the amish under the bus too?

ANYONE whose upbringing doesnt fit your opinion of a standard?

do christians not qualify for that pesky little first amendment like pagans and muslims do?

DESPITE their parental influence growing up?

Im not going to copy and paste the things I have already written on this very subject, this isnt the religion thread, if you wish to do some light reading to catch up, we can continue the debate in this thread.

http://usmessageboard.com/showthread.php?t=48270

Falwell wasn't very "consoling" to 9/11 victims either.

"The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked. And when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad. I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way—all of them who have tried to secularize America—I point the finger in their face and say "you helped this happen."- Jerry Falwell on why God let 9/11 happen

That Falwell quote is on the money... very true

anyone who disagrees with you - you label a hack

among other things

incorrect.... there are many here who disagree with me that I have great respect for: Kathianne, GunnyL and CSM to name three off the top of my head....you and alucard are two hacks. demonstably.

incorrect.... there are many here who disagree with me that I have great respect for: Kathianne, GunnyL and CSM to name three off the top of my head....you and alucard are two hacks. demonstably.

You seem to throw the insults at them as well - and your temper get to you while you try and brush off their facts

He acts any way he has to, to get people to agree with him, or think he is 'cool' as long as they arent Liberals.

I personally would love to sit down with RSR, and discuss politics face to face with him, and record it.

His head would explode if he had to use his own words and not Op-Eds to defend his standpoint.

Id post it on YouTube, and Id follow him around to every message board and show it to people.

And no one would talk to him ever again.

sadly.

The comment was posted in the Taunting Arena

I laugh how libs act all offened when their insults are fired back at them

alucard is a slanderous hack...pay him no mind! :lol:

The liberal media is political hack

Charles Gibson: Falwell Didn't Deserve Top Story Honors, FNC's GOP Debate Bored Me
Posted by Tim Graham on May 17, 2007 - 08:54.
Washington Post media reporter Howard Kurtz interviewed America's top anchorman for Thursday's paper, and the anchor of ABC's World News was determined: "Charlie Gibson was determined not to lead his newscast with the preacher's death." He explained:

"It lends importance to a figure whose legacy contained a lot of positives and a lot of negatives," says the ABC anchor, who was once a reporter in Falwell's home base of Lynchburg, Va. "It venerates the subject to an extent that I didn't think belonged there. He was a controversial figure."

Gibson's decision not to "venerate" Falwell is presented by Kurtz as a sign of how Gibson is in control at ABC:

There was no right answer -- NBC's Brian Williams and CBS's Katie Couric both led with multiple Falwell stories, while Gibson began with a possible deal on immigration legislation. But the decision underscored the extent to which Gibson is firmly in control at what recently emerged as the top-rated evening newscast.

Perhaps the oddest line is how White House correspondent Martha Raddatz is charmed by Gibson calling her "Toots" (which must be heavily laced with post-feminist irony):

"He's warm and fun," she says, "and how can you not love an anchorman who calls you 'Toots'?"

Kurtz also reported that Gibson's newscast chose not to well, "venerate" the latest Republican presidential debate on Fox News:

Gibson has limited coverage of the 2008 presidential race so far. Wednesday's "World News" was the only one of the network broadcasts not to carry a word on the previous night's debate of Republican presidential contenders in South Carolina. "These debates strike me as crazy," he says. "It gives Rudy Giuliani a chance to whip it up on [Congressman] Ron Paul, but who cares? I just think it's too early. I love politics, and I'm not engaged."

Kurtz did not report that Too Early Gibson did air analytical segments with ex-Clinton spin artist George Stephanopoulos after the Democrat debate (April 27) and the Republican debate that was NOT on Fox News (May 4).

http://newsbusters.org/node/12811

CNN Juxtaposes Falwell With Hitler, Airs Entire Piece Emphasizing Gay GLAAD Leader
Posted by Tim Graham on May 16, 2007 - 16:28.
The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) has issued a call to media outlets to stick to a script of liberal bias and emphasize "Falwell's history of denigrative comments and examine the cultural progress toward inclusion, acceptance and respect that he fought against." Their website even included a story from CNN’s Newsroom from Tuesday afternoon, in which CNN prominently included old protest video that placed a large illustration of Falwell’s face next to a large illustration of Hitler’s face. So much for GLAAD's "anti-defamation" pose. Video: Real (582 KB) or Windows (659 KB) plus MP3 (97 KB)

On "Anderson Cooper 360," CNN correspondent Randi Kaye, who raised eyebrows in December for a story worrying about Saddam suffering when he hanged, shared no comparable horror at the death of Falwell. Her transcript read like a commercial for GLAAD, as their president Neil Giuliano was the only talking head in the piece (except for taped tidbits of Falwell) as he insisted Falwell was un-Christian: "Falwell’s attacks were a violation of religious faith."

Anchor Anderson Cooper titled his segments "Faith and Fury," and fury was certainly in heavy rotation on CNN. Cooper was so interested in pounding away at Falwell’s 9/11 comments that he played them in the 10 pm hour coming out of a commercial break, and then viewers heard them again a few seconds later in the Kaye piece
http://newsbusters.org/node/12797

Originally posted by Shogun
dude.. heres a hint.. if the MAJORITY of the POPULATION feel the same way as Falwell then guess how the DEMOCRATIC PROCESS will result...

Shogun, I have followed your discussions on the palestinian issue with great interest and agree with many of the points you made there.

But here I have to disagree with you buddy.

The foundations of the secular state must be protected in a sound democratic state by a legal mechanism known in latin countries as “cláusula pétrea" (stone clause, a constitutional clause that protects the core ideals of the state from any bill seeking alterations).

There is almost a consensus among the greatest theorists of constitutional law that the most fundamental achievements of the Enlightenment and the American Revolution (democracy and the secular state) must be protected by this kind of legal mechanisms even against the will of the majority.

This sounds paradoxical only to people who have an incomplete understanding of the democratic system.

Democracy is not only about the will of the majority but also the protection of the minorities and the preservation of the secular nature of the state plays a major part in this protection (see the following post for a concrete, personal example).

The undermining of the basis of the modern democratic, secular state using democracy itself should never be one of the “prerrogatives” allowed by sound, solid democratic states.

I’d like to share a personal experience to illustrate the previous post:

When I was 14 one of my teachers asked us all to stand up and pray before class.

Ignore completely any individual who tells you this is a harmless exercise of faith.

I still remember how ashamed I was, still remember all the embarrassment I felt in front of my classmates when I refused to do so and she started criticizing me.

It was not “a harmless exercise of faith”. It was an abuse, it was a disrespect, it was a violence.

When I remember these facts today I often wonder if they really happened in the West or in Saudi Arabia.

What happened to me was the result of an utterly incompetent secular state, a state that failed in its duty to enforce its own secularity to protect its minorities from disrespect and embarassament in public space (it was a public school).

This personal experience I’ve just shared with you illustrates perfectly the main point of my previous post:

Any serious democratic state has to have legal mechanisms to prevent the Jerry Falwells of the world or any other religious pressure group (and even the authoritarian “will of the majority”) from undermining the secular basis of the state.

I would also like to use this occasion to congratulate Matt, Loki and all the others by their solid, vigorous defence of the secular state against all the Torquemadas, Richard Lionhearts and Knights of the Round Table who roam this message board at will after midnight.

: )

PS: Despite our minor disagreement, I definitely do not include Shogun in this theocratic group cited above.

Forum List

Back