Jesus 'may have suffered from mental health problems'

Forget the New Testament characters, the real crazies are in the Old Testament. For Example, Abraham heard voices in his head telling him to kill his own son, and that is just one of many examples to be found there

Jesus was one big acid trip. Dude done gone peyote.

Jews, on the other hand, were the most sober of creatures.

Do the math.

Jesus was a Jew. And you're on ignore.
I speak as a Muslim, from the traditional knowledge in Islam.

There are 124 000 prophets. The 1st of them is Adam, the last is Muhammad (peace be upon him and his family). Prophets could get sick, as long as the disease was not repulsive. Prophets were not mentally ill but they did things that go against reason. That's part of religion. One deals with God, not with his own thinking. Prophets were not mentally ill as in depressed. Prophets enjoyed great health of body and great health of soul, great tranquility and great peace of mind.

these verses from the Bible remind me of the following Hadith (saying of Muhammad). It's actually a saying of God (but not in the Qur'an). Muhammad (peace be upon him and his family) says:

"God says, 'I am as my servant expects Me to be, and I am with him when he remembers me. If he thinks of Me, I think of him. If he mentions Me in company, I mention him in an even better company. When he comes closer to Me by a handspan, I come closer to him an arm's length. If he draws closer to Me by an arm's length, I draw closer by a distance of two outstretched arms nearer to him. If my servant comes to Me walking, I go to him running."

With so many peaceful passages in the Koran to dwell upon, it's a wonder that so many are drawn to the standing orders to commit violence. But even this quote comes from a man with bloody hands, not like Jesus who offered up his own life as a sacrifice, but a warrior who has slaughtered thousands in war and even more, the men and boys of Medina before taking the women and younger children as slaves. So even placid words from your prophet cannot be received apart from its source, a very evil, violent man who converted by the sword.

No, not from an atheist web site attacking Christianity but from the church of England.

Remember 2000 year ago people weren't educated about mental illness's

"John the Baptist, St Paul, St Francis and other figures from the Bible may all have been mentally ill."

It even asks followers to consider accusations made in the New Testament that Jesus "had lost his mind".

Jesus Christ may have suffered from mental health problems claims Church of England UK News Daily Express

Words of darkness-2Cor 4:4--because the worlds hearts are being lead by the maggot infested spirit of antichrist--being fed to hearts daily 7 days a week.
fear-then hate--then--kill. and return it if its handed to you.

Lol.

I guess you're the one with mental problems.

I posted an article authored by the church of England , take it up with them

You suggested Jesus "may have suffered Mental Health problems". The C of E resources talk in terms of accusations being made about Jesus's mental health rather than in terms of any real problems he may have suffered. Or can you quote a direct reference where Jesus himself is shown to have a mental illness?

The issue of what constitutes a mental illness is an interesting one and a loss of transcendence and Divine reference points may well be the biggest factor in the modern age.

Syphilitic atheists have been going nuts in the Nietzschean tradition for a while now.

Exactly what mental illness do you have him Jesus was afflicted with?

have you any experience with those who have mental illnesses? I have.

Exactly what mental illness do you have him Jesus was afflicted with?

have you any experience with those who have mental illnesses? I have.

It's such a miracle that we can diagnose historic figures we've never interviewed....and hell, we don't even need any formal training, a license to practice psychology, or adherence to the standards of our "profession". We can just make wild guesses about people we never even met based on scant information; and our ignorance and lack of qualifications is no hindrance whatsoever.

Isn't it wonderful?

"According to the author of the Gospel of Mark (Mark 3:19-21, 31), during the period when he was preaching, Jesus’ relatives, his mother and his brothers, believed that he was mentally ill. The author of the Gospel of John comments that “neither did his brothers believe in him” (John 7:5). Jesus, in turn, rejected them (Mark 3:31-35, Matthew 12:46-50, Luke 8:19-21). Apparently, Mary, the mother of Jesus, forgot the visits of angels, magi, and shepherds. The prophecies of Anna and Simeon completely slipped her mind. Most of all Mary seems to have forgotten her own impregnation by the Holy Spirit. It is more than likely that she had nothing to forget because these episodes never happened. When Jesus started to preach they had a legitimate concern as to his mental condition. This incident, rather than later claims that his family believed in his message, shows that no miracles surrounded his birth."

Is it true that Jesus family including his mother believed that he was mentally ill - Jews For Judaism

Mark 11:12-14 New International Version (NIV)

" 12. The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs.14 Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard him say it."

So the tree he had control over (if he was a god as he claimed) and was out of season for bearing fruit so he cursed it,

seems mentally unstable

"According to the author of the Gospel of Mark (Mark 3:19-21, 31), during the period when he was preaching, Jesus’ relatives, his mother and his brothers, believed that he was mentally ill. The author of the Gospel of John comments that “neither did his brothers believe in him” (John 7:5). Jesus, in turn, rejected them (Mark 3:31-35, Matthew 12:46-50, Luke 8:19-21). Apparently, Mary, the mother of Jesus, forgot the visits of angels, magi, and shepherds. The prophecies of Anna and Simeon completely slipped her mind. Most of all Mary seems to have forgotten her own impregnation by the Holy Spirit. It is more than likely that she had nothing to forget because these episodes never happened. When Jesus started to preach they had a legitimate concern as to his mental condition. This incident, rather than later claims that his family believed in his message, shows that no miracles surrounded his birth."

Is it true that Jesus family including his mother believed that he was mentally ill - Jews For Judaism

You seem to be suggesting that Jesus was not mentally ill, that Mary had a memory problem that would have conferred the proper context on her son's claim to divinity. So are you contradicting yourself now?

New International Version

Luke 14:26
"If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters--yes, even their own life--such a person cannot be my disciple.

Matthew 10:34
"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.

"For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law"

Hardly the messiah a who will bring peace

If he was running around loose today, we would regard him as mentally unstable cult leader. Some others in recent history come to mind: Jim Jones of the Jonestown Massacre; David Koresh of the Branch Davidians; and Marshal Applewhite of Heaven's Gate. All three of these charismatic leaders had a following that exhibited the same traits as Jesus' disciples: they cut off external social relationships and followed their leader to the point where they were willing to die for him.

Luke 14:26
"If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters--yes, even their own life--such a person cannot be my disciple.

Matthew 10:34
"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.

"For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law"

Hardly the messiah a who will bring peace

If he was running around loose today, we would regard him as mentally unstable cult leader. Some others in recent history come to mind: Jim Jones of the Jonestown Massacre; David Koresh of the Branch Davidians; and Marshal Applewhite of Heaven's Gate. All three of these charismatic leaders had a following that exhibited the same traits as Jesus' disciples: they cut off external social relationships and followed their leader to the point where they were willing to die for him.

But miracles and rising from the dead do put him in a different league to those guys.

As CS Lewis put it Jesus presents us with a choice. Either he was mad, bad or who he says he was. A third of the world think the latter. You appear to be in the group that will never know Him.

1. sound mentally stable to you

Matthew
  2. Jesus tells a man who had just lost his father: "Let the dead bury the dead." 8:21

3. Families will be torn apart because of Jesus (this is one of the few "prophecies" in the Bible that has actually come true). "Brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death." 10:21

4. Jesus says that he has come to destroy families by making family members hate each other. He has "come not to send peace, but a sword." 10:34-36

5. Jesus warns us not to love our parents or children too much. We have to make sure that we always love him (who we don't even know existed) more than our family. 10:37

6. When Jesus' mother and brothers want to see him, Jesus asks, "Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?" So much for Jesus' family values. 12:47-49

7. Jesus is criticized by the Pharisees for not washing his hands before eating. He defends himself by attacking them for not killing disobedient children according to the commandment: "He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death." (See Ex.21:15, Lev.20:9, Dt.21:18-21) So, does Jesus think that children who curse their parents should be killed? It sure sounds like it. 15:4-7

8. In the parable of the unforgiving servant, the king threatens to enslave a man and his entire family to pay for a debt. This practice, which was common at the time, seems not to have bothered Jesus very much. 18:25

9. "It is not good to marry."
    After Jesus denounces divorce, his disciples say that if divorce isn't allowed, then "it is good not to marry." Jesus agrees by saying that it is better to make yourself a eunuch "for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it." 19:10

10. Abandon your wife and children for Jesus and he'll give you a big reward. 19:29

11. Jesus tells us to "call no man your father upon the earth." Not even dear old dad? How can we "honor our father" if we refuse to call him our father? 23:9

12. "Woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days." Why? Does the 'God-man" especially hate pregnant and nursing women? 24:19

13. Jesus compares the kingdom of heaven to ten virgins who went to meet their bridegroom. 25:1

Last edited:
Forget the New Testament characters, the real crazies are in the Old Testament. For Example, Abraham heard voices in his head telling him to kill his own son, and that is just one of many examples to be found there

You are missing the point of the story. The same voices that told Abraham to kill his son also stopped him from killing his son.

In the days of Abraham, it was a common thing for people to sacrifice their children to their various gods. The Hebrew faith took issue with this, and made a story to express the disapproval of the one true God has for killing innocent life.

Men used to sacrifice their children for material gain, whether it be to obtain a military victory or fertility or a good harvest. Unfortunately, men still sacrifice their children in the name of financial convenience. Some things never change.

Speaking of sanity, I read where a lady aborted her child because she wanted to take away his carbon footprint on mother nature. Naturally, we can all see she is insane, but is it any crazier to kill your unborn so that your bank account is bigger?

It is possible that Jesus was a manic-depressive. He said he was the light of the world (John 9:5) and the only way to God (John 14:6) and the unique Son of God (John 17). That is the sign of severe mania. He was unnaturally full of himself. Even if it were true, we would expect him to let others say he was this great being instead of him trying to convince him. If he really had the power to influence people through using the Holy Spirit he did not need to make such declarations.

The concept of a god itself betrays the psychopathic mentality of those who embrace it. It signifies a disguised hatred of humanity for a god is given the right to take all from us including our lives meaning that gods alone matter and if others are to be helped it is for the sake of obeying him and not for their good. gods being gods do not need our devotion and it is totally frenzied madness to approve of a being that kills and makes flesh-eating bugs for it is those who have needs that come first. When jesus claimed to be the Son of a god he confessed that he was a psychopath.

Psychiatry calls Jesus a paranoid schizophrenic

Sept. 2012: "Jesus’ experiences can be potentially conceptualized within the framework of Paranoid Schizophrenia or Psychosis NOS. Other reasonable possibilities might include bipolar and schizoaffective disorders. … hyperreligiosity … Suicide-by-proxy is described as “any incident in which a suicidal individual causes his or her death to be carried out by another person. … a Supraphrenic” (The Role of Psychotic Disorders in Religious History Considered, Evan D. Murray, M.D. Miles G. Cunningham, M.D., Ph.D. Bruce H. Price, M.D., The Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences 2012; 24:410-426)

Last edited:

" 12. The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs.14 Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard him say it."

So the tree he had control over (if he was a god as he claimed) and was out of season for bearing fruit so he cursed it,

seems mentally unstable

Yet he never tried to murder his son because the voices in his head told him too

seems mentally unstable
That does seem insane, now that you mention it.

Forum List

Back