john kerry says Israel becoming "apartheid state"

Israel Needs to Learn Some Manners

OXFORD, England — On Jan. 14, the Israeli defense minister, Moshe Yaalon, told the daily Yediot Aharonot, “Secretary of State John Kerry — who arrived here determined, who operates from an incomprehensible obsession and a sense of messianism — can’t teach me anything about the conflict with the Palestinians.” Even by Israeli standards, Mr. Yaalon’s comments were rather rude. Mr. Kerry’s crime was to try to broker Israeli-Palestinian peace talks that began last July and to stipulate a nine-month deadline. This is the kind of talk that gives chutzpah a bad name.

The episode also reveals a great deal about the nature of the much-vaunted special relationship between the United States and Israel. It suggests that this relationship is a one-way street, with America doing all the diplomatic heavy lifting while Israel limits its role to obstruction and whining — repaying Uncle Sam’s generosity with ingratitude and scorn.

Israeli leaders have always underlined the vital importance of self-reliance when it comes to Israel’s security. But the simple truth is that Israel wouldn’t be able to survive for very long without American support. Since 1949, America’s economic aid to Israel amounts to a staggering $118 billion and America continues to subsidize the Jewish state to the tune of $3 billion annually. America is also Israel’s main arms supplier and the official guarantor of its “quantitative military edge” over all its Arab neighbors.

In the diplomatic arena, Israel relies on America to shield it from the consequences of its habitual violations of international law. The International Court of Justice pronounced the so-called “security barrier” that Israel is building on the West Bank to be illegal. All of Israel’s civilian settlements on the West Bank violate the Fourth Geneva Convention, but Israel continues to expand them.

Since 1978, when the Camp David Accords were brokered by President Jimmy Carter, the United States has used its veto power on the Security Council 42 times on behalf of Israel. The most shocking abuse of this power was to veto, in February 2011, a resolution condemning Israeli settlement expansion that had the support of the 14 other members of the Security Council....

Read more....

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/31/opinion/israel-needs-to-learn-some-manners.html?_r=0

That is NOT what Kerry said - you are misquoting.

Essentially it is

Um, it either is what he said or it isn't.

He said Israel should continue to negotiated even though Abbas has alined himself with Hamas. He also threw out the word " apartheid" which has never been done before by a U.S. secretary of State, also he uses threats of increased boycott and possible intifada ..anything else?

Last edited:
Jewish leaders are fuming over remarks made by U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, who cautioned that Israel risks becoming an apartheid state if a two-state solution cannot be reached....

This comes as no surprise to anyone ... Israel is unhappy with America? Fine by me - they can tell us to take our 3 billion a year and shove it.

They want to do all this without America, then they should.

Essentially it is

He said Israel should continue to negotiated even though Abbas has alined himself with Hamas. He also throw out the word " apartheid" which has never been done before by a U.S. secretary of State, also he uses threats of increased boycott and possible intifada ..anything else?

Yes, Israel needs to start abiding by international law.

Also, a little diplomacy would be nice ... for starters ... .

John Kerry was being far too nice - I would have told Israel to have a nice tall glass of STFU and quit falling out of the chair a gave them.

Essentially it is

He said Israel should continue to negotiated even though Abbas has alined himself with Hamas. He also threw out the word " apartheid" which has never been done before by a U.S. secretary of State, also he uses threats of increased boycott and possible intifada ..anything else?

“Because a unitary state winds up either being an apartheid state with second class citizens – or it ends up being a state that destroys the capacity of Israel to be a Jewish state.”

sounds like highly inflammatory remarks to me

he is an absolute train wreck

in other Israeli news

For the first time in its history, Israel’s army is getting ready to send voluntary military enlistment notices to Christian Arab citizens when they turn eighteen.

The unlikely impetus behind the move is none other than the Arab Spring, the popular rebellion revolutionizing the Arab world and in the process recalibrating the relationship between Christian citizens and the State of Israel. Shocked by a new climate featuring violence against Christians in Egypt and Libya, among other countries, and displacement in Syria, some of Israel’s Christian Arabs are pushing for greater participation in their home state.

Father Gabriel Naddaf, a compelling figure in a full black beard, royal blue robes and a kalimavkion — the traditional tubular hat worn by Greek Orthodox priests that renders his already imposing height Shaquillesque — is chairman of a group called the Israeli Christians Recruitment Forum (ICRF) that has been lobbying the government for the draft of Christian youth for the past two years.

The name alone — “Israeli Christians Recruitment Forum,” rather than “Arab Christians Recruitment Forum” — is a strong statement in this region. Naddaf has lost patience, he says, “with the Arab world telling us what we can do and what we should feel.”

“In light of the persecution of Christians in Arab countries just because they are Christians,” Naddaf said in a meeting with journalists this week following the army’s announcement, “our youth feels they must make a sacrifice for the country that is protecting them.” He believes that these notices, which still aren’t equivalent to the obligatory draft others face, will “open the door … to full participation in society for Christians.” But apart from an explicit welcome, the notices will include details on a possible preliminary meeting at the individual’s nearest IDF enlistment office, and reduce the amount of energy Christian youths need to expend volunteering for a service other citizens are brought into automatically.

Since the establishment of Israel in 1948, the country made certain exceptions to its universal, compulsory military service policy.

Meet the Israeli Christians who actually want to be drafted | GlobalPost

Jewish leaders are fuming over remarks made by U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, who cautioned that Israel risks becoming an apartheid state if a two-state solution cannot be reached.

Mr. Kerry told senior officials during a closed meeting on Friday that a two-state solution is the “only real alternative” for Israel and the Palestinian territories, “because a unitary state winds up either being an apartheid state with second-class citizens, or it ends up being a state that destroys the capacity of Israel to be a Jewish state,” The Daily Beast first reported.

The Anti-Defamation League, an international Jewish NGO based in the United States, said that while it appreciates Mr. Kerry’s commitment to the region, his comments “used the repugnant language of Israel’s adversaries and accusers” and were “not seen as expressions of friendship and support,” Haaretz reported.

“It is startling and deeply disappointing that a diplomat so knowledgeable and experienced about democratic Israel chose to use such an inaccurate and incendiary term,” said ADL National Director Abe Foxman in a statement.

Leaders of pro-Israel organizations told The Daily Beast that Mr. Kerry’s use of the term “apartheid” was appalling and alarmist because of its racial connotations.

State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said the secretary was simply repeating his view, shared by others, that “The only way to have two nations and two peoples living side by side in peace and security is through a two-state solution.”

Jewish leaders blast John Kerry for Israel 'apartheid' comments - Washington Times

Thank you, John Kerry, you narcissistic, sanctimonious PoS!!!

Keep talking yourselves against your voting base, and right outta Washington in November, Dems!!!

And any inroads you were making towards winning back some Evangelical and Catholic votes — POOF!!!

Even a Hollywood screenplay writer couldn't make up stuff this good!!!

he was for the apartheid before he was against it

jon cary issues a retraction

--LOL

Press Statement
John Kerry
Secretary of State
Washington, DC
April 28, 2014
Share on facebookShare on twitterShare
For more than thirty years in the United States Senate, I didn’t just speak words in support of Israel, I walked the walk when it came time to vote and when it came time to fight. As Secretary of State, I have spent countless hours working with Prime Minister Netanyahu and Justice Minister Livni because I believe in the kind of future that Israel not only wants, but Israel deserves. I want to see a two state solution that results in a secure Jewish state and a prosperous Palestinian state, and I’ve actually worked for it.

I will not allow my commitment to Israel to be questioned by anyone, particularly for partisan, political purposes, so I want to be crystal clear about what I believe and what I don’t believe.

First, Israel is a vibrant democracy and I do not believe, nor have I ever stated, publicly or privately, that Israel is an apartheid state or that it intends to become one. Anyone who knows anything about me knows that without a shred of doubt.

Second, I have been around long enough to also know the power of words to create a misimpression, even when unintentional, and if I could rewind the tape, I would have chosen a different word to describe my firm belief that the only way in the long term to have a Jewish state and two nations and two peoples living side by side in peace and security is through a two state solution. In the long term, a unitary, binational state cannot be the democratic Jewish state that Israel deserves or the prosperous state with full rights that the Palestinian people deserve. That’s what I said, and it’s also what Prime Minister Netanyahu has said. While Justice Minister Livni, former Prime Ministers Barak and Ohlmert have all invoked the specter of apartheid to underscore the dangers of a unitary state for the future, it is a word best left out of the debate here at home.

No joke. What a punk.

Thanks for the head's up, jon_berzerk

I would have told them to blow the muslim bastards all to hell and take whatever they want!

Israel would not make it without US support.

You believe otherwise? Fine, but you're kidding yourself.

Little difficult now to help Israel with a muslim sympathizer as president, and being his brother is a member of the muslim brotherhood to do something noble for the GOOD GUYS!

Obama?s Brother: Muslim Brotherhood Leader? | FrontPage Magazine

he was for the apartheid before he was against it

jon cary issues a retraction

--LOL

Press Statement
John Kerry
Secretary of State
Washington, DC
April 28, 2014
Share on facebookShare on twitterShare
For more than thirty years in the United States Senate, I didn’t just speak words in support of Israel, I walked the walk when it came time to vote and when it came time to fight. As Secretary of State, I have spent countless hours working with Prime Minister Netanyahu and Justice Minister Livni because I believe in the kind of future that Israel not only wants, but Israel deserves. I want to see a two state solution that results in a secure Jewish state and a prosperous Palestinian state, and I’ve actually worked for it.

I will not allow my commitment to Israel to be questioned by anyone, particularly for partisan, political purposes, so I want to be crystal clear about what I believe and what I don’t believe.

First, Israel is a vibrant democracy and I do not believe, nor have I ever stated, publicly or privately, that Israel is an apartheid state or that it intends to become one. Anyone who knows anything about me knows that without a shred of doubt.

Second, I have been around long enough to also know the power of words to create a misimpression, even when unintentional, and if I could rewind the tape, I would have chosen a different word to describe my firm belief that the only way in the long term to have a Jewish state and two nations and two peoples living side by side in peace and security is through a two state solution. In the long term, a unitary, binational state cannot be the democratic Jewish state that Israel deserves or the prosperous state with full rights that the Palestinian people deserve. That’s what I said, and it’s also what Prime Minister Netanyahu has said. While Justice Minister Livni, former Prime Ministers Barak and Ohlmert have all invoked the specter of apartheid to underscore the dangers of a unitary state for the future, it is a word best left out of the debate here at home.

^^^^ That was a clarification - not a retraction.

I would have told them to blow the muslim bastards all to hell and take whatever they want!

Sorry, but that ain't what my—and more importantly, Israel's—God says.

Ezekiel 38 and 39 is about that very thing:

God will eventually show that it is He—not the USA—who protects Israel.

I just pray that it's not too late for America to know that.

Little difficult now to help Israel with a muslim sympathizer as president, and being his brother is a member of the muslim brotherhood to do something noble for the GOOD GUYS!

I generally don't even bother to look at your links - It's always a bunch of hogwash and not even worth debunking.

:badgrin:

I generally don't even bother to look at your links - It's always a bunch of hogwash and not even worth debunking.

Of course not, you can't debunk THE TRUTH, and LINKS to it! :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

John Kerry was being far too nice - I would have told Israel to have a nice tall glass of STFU and quit falling out of the chair a gave them.

Why is it the anti-Israel crowd is so often populated by semiliterate bald guys?

"Semiliterate" is not a word. Did you mean "semi-literate?

I'm bald, because i'm 51 and follicly challenged.

It has nothing to do with my political viewpoint. I'm mostly left leaning, but believe in not getting involved in other countries messes.

You know ... like the founding fathers invisioned.

:badgrin:

Of course not, you can't debunk THE TRUTH, and LINKS to it! :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

If I do, you just switch gears or just start another thread and forget about having your ass handed to you.

It's rather predictable and completely underwhelming at this point.

Sorry, but that ain't what my—and more importantly, Israel's—God says.

Ezekiel 38 and 39 is about that very thing:

God will eventually show that it is He—not the USA—who protects Israel.

I just pray that it's not too late for America to know that.

Sure and the bug helicopters and the great gnashing of teeth and all that cool stuff.

Save the Sunday school propaganda for your Christian brethren ... I'm not Christian.

Forum List

Back