🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

John Lewis Says Voter ID Laws Are 'Poll Taxes By Another Name'

The poll tax has only been mentioned here on the USMB about a thousand times. Republicans conveniently ignore that fact. And yet, they pretend to know so much about the constitution.

Maybe because it's a pure BS invention of the left, and by the way the Constitution gives States the power to run their own damn elections. All elections even for federal office holders are State elections, there are no federal elections.

You didn't have a fair vote, by any means. Lots of people who should have voted didn't, not your fault, and because of these laws many weren't allowed to, your fault. You have put the cart before the horse, and that is to your advantage.
Shut up and buy me a gun! I have the right to keep and bear arms and dammit I don't have enough guns. And no! I won't show you my ID or submit to a background check.
Hurry up now! I'll expect my gun in 5 minutes. I saw a black guy walking this way.
There is no more reason for you to show an ID to buy a gun than there is to vote. Clear now?
So, why did I have to show ID, submit to a check and have my purchase recorded for posterity?

Let me see links to posts where you have advocated eliminating background checks for firearm purchases.
Background checks? No, those are allowed. Give your name and get a gun, the delay you might face is up to your state, but no photo ID is necessary for that, buying beer, or voting. They all came along long before photo ID was even invented.

And the solution is easy, issue everyone an ID. That's what other nations do...
Why background checks for purchasing guns but not voting? If you don't require ID to purchase firearms, what is the point of a background check? I could be a diagnosed homicidal maniac and claim to be the pastor at the local Methodist Church and who could dispute it?Much the same, without ID, I could be 17 year old Jose who snuck in from Guadalajara and claim to be John Brown, born in Foley in 1960.
I could go for a free government issued ID as long as it contains no tracking capability.
I just want to make people prove they are eligible to vote before they do.

Because you're all about fairness.

The poll tax has only been mentioned here on the USMB about a thousand times. Republicans conveniently ignore that fact. And yet, they pretend to know so much about the constitution.

Maybe because it's a pure BS invention of the left, and by the way the Constitution gives States the power to run their own damn elections. All election even for federal office holders are State elections, there are no federal elections.

Another constitutional scholar is born, and it's just that easy too!

Maybe because it's a pure BS invention of the left, and by the way the Constitution gives States the power to run their own damn elections. All election even for federal office holders are State elections, there are no federal elections.

Well feel free to dig right in there and prove me wrong there hero. LMAO

Maybe you should find out why, for decades, your state had to submit its election rules to the Feds? Voting Rights Act of 1965 - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

The Voting Rights Act Is Not Dead But Texas Is Still Battling It Out in Court VICE News

Maybe you should find out why, for decades, your state had to submit its election rules to the Feds? Voting Rights Act of 1965 - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

The Voting Rights Act Is Not Dead But Texas Is Still Battling It Out in Court VICE News

Yep and the supremes struck that pre-clearance shit down and you commies cried like babies. BTW your link is a bit behind the times, TX has had the ID requirement the last two election cycles. Since the TX law is written like the ID laws of other States that have been approved by the supreme court, TX will prevail. So get you another beer and cry in it, I don't want to hear your whining.

Yep and the supremes struck that pre-clearance shit down and you commies cried like babies. BTW your link is a bit behind the times, TX has had the ID requirement the last two election cycles. Since the TX law is written like the ID laws of other States that have been approved by the supreme court, TX will prevail. So get you another beer and cry in it, I don't want to hear your whining.
If you wish to be proud about the fact that many Texans can't vote, that is on you.

If you wish to be proud about the fact that many Texans can't vote, that is on you.

Funny, I only heard about 1 person who bitched last election and from all appearances she was a plant who just did't get an ID so the left could point at her and say, see we told you this would happen. BTW voter turnout was higher during the midterms than usual. Any more tears?

Funny, I only heard about 1 person who bitched last election and from all appearances she was a plant who just did't get an ID so the left could point at her and say, see we told you this would happen. BTW voter turnout was higher during the midterms than usual. Any more tears?
They are your votes, that don't count because they can't be cast. That's no skin off my nose, at least not in Texas. At least the lawyers are happy.

Texas Voter ID Law Back In Court On Discrimination Challenge - NBC News

Daily Document Justice Department Brief Challenges Texas Voter ID Law National Law Journal

They are your votes, that don't count because they can't be cast. That's no skin off my nose, at least not in Texas. At least the lawyers are happy.

Daily Document Justice Department Brief Challenges Texas Voter ID Law National Law Journal

Yep, your dear leaders boy holder just couldn't keep his racist nose out of it He's wasting your tax dollars, aren't you pissed?

Yep, your dear leaders boy holder just couldn't keep his racist nose out of it He's wasting your tax dollars, aren't you pissed?
Not in the slightest. I'm a Liberal so unlike you I stand up for the rights of others.

Sounds good to me. Anyone that is such a worthless piece of shit that they can't get an ID, shouldn't have a say to begin with.

Sounds good to me. Anyone that is such a worthless piece of shit that they can't get an ID, shouldn't have a say to begin with.
I'll let most of humanity, throughout all of human history, born with papers, made aware of said fact. Tell us, if you don't have a certain document that we like to see, do you still have rights?

I'll let most of humanity, throughout all of human history, born with papers, made aware of said fact. Tell us, if you don't have a certain document that we like to see, do you still have rights?
Voting isn't a right, having the ability to set the course for your nation is a privilege. If you are such a dreg that you can't get basic paperwork to prove who you are, you shouldn't be afforded this important privilege.

Well you can say that, but it isn't true. A fair vote doesn't favor the GOP, which is why they try and stop people from voting.

Then how do you explain the fact that 31 out of 50 states have GOP governors? Governors are elected by statewide popular vote.

All you have to do is issue every American a photo ID, like other nations do for their citizens, but you won't because that helps you not at all.

Tell me, seriously, how do all of these supposedly "disenfranchised" people buy beer, wine, and cigarettes, all of which require the showing of a photo ID to purchase? And do they never fly on planes, which require the showing of a photo ID to board? Also, do they never use credit cards, since many stores ask to see photo ID before letting you use your credit card? Do they have no cell phones, since at least two major phone companies require the showing of photo ID to establish and/or change cell phone contracts?

Why oh why should we spend millions of dollars on a national ID card when every state already issues photo ID cards, either in the form of a driver's license or non-license ID cards, to all who apply for one and who provide the required verification documentation? WHY? Ah, but there's the rub: the verification documentation.

Last edited:
If a person has to pay even one cent to get ID that would be acceptable then it's tantamount to a poll tax. If a person has to pay anybody anything to reasonably get to where FREE IDs are available then that, too, is tantamount to a poll tax, using economics to disenfranchise voters.

This time the left has a point. But I don't see anybody on the left offering to sponsor legislation at any level of government to make free ID easily available to anyone anywhere.

sorry, nice try...they will come to your home to get you an ID...so you are wrong.......you just have to contact the gov. And they will send out someone.....free of charge........

South Africa and many third world nations have voter ID laws. The Carter Center mandates voter ID before they will work with a country to monitor an election.

Why the hell is it that Democrats believe that America's minorities are dumber than a box of rocks and incapable of getting voter ID?

I mean come on. South Africa? Honduras? Voter ID laws.But liberals believe Americans can't get their shit together?

Democrats are,racists....they believe that blacks are inferior and need to be controlled...the democrat party is the home of all racism.....la raza, Latino racists = democrat......NAACP/Congressional Black Caucus/Nation of Islam, black racists = democrats......and the white democrats.....racists who believe minorities can't be responsible for themselves...

all of the racists have come together in the democrat party because the democrat party wants to centralize government control of the American people....then each racist faction can use those levers of power to attack and punish and control the races they hate.....

The democrat party is a love nest for racists....

Following that, *ahem* "logic", you MUST now agree that they be provided with transportation to and from the polling places, free of charge.

Yes, I am indeed arguing just that. If people are forced to make any expenditure in order to get an acceptable ID then it's nothing more than a poll tax. Don't have the money to get on the plane to go where the closest IDs are available? In that case you're disenfranchised.

How would like it, Jar, if you were told your closest polling place were 1,000 miles away and you had to vote in person, getting there at your own expense? Would you not feel disenfranchised?

That, of course, assumes you actually do vote or might sometime down the road. And we all know about ASSumptions....

sorry....they now have vote by mail...or didn't you realize that...........and I imagine that the number of people you have created who live in tiny log cabins in the vast remote wilderness can vote if they want to.....but the othe 320 million people can easily get voter id.....so please...

The democrats oppose voter id because they want to falsely accuse republicans of racism....that's it.......

sorry, nice try...they will come to your home to get you an ID...so you are wrong.......you just have to contact the gov. And they will send out someone.....free of charge........

Yes, even when states have included provisions for free ID cards, liberals still object--because those states still require reasonable verification documentation before issuing the ID cards.

Truth be told, liberals don't like photo ID laws because they know that such laws make it much harder to commit voter fraud. They know that ineligible voters and dead voters will find it much harder to vote if they have to show a photo ID. That's what this is all about.

And let's remember that John Lewis is one of the congressmen who falsely claimed that Tea Party protestors yelled racial slurs at him at a 2010 rally in D.C. against the Obamacare bill. Lewis also claimed that he was spat at from the crowd.

Subsequent investigation failed to find a single audio or video recording of any racial slurs being voiced at that rally, nor was any video evidence found that in any way supported the claim that Lewis was spat upon. Indeed, three blacks who were among the Tea Party protestors said they did not hear anyone voice any racial slurs as the congressmen were walking past (nor at any other time during the rally).

These guys are not above lying through their teeth to smear people who disagree with them.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back