🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

John Lewis Says Voter ID Laws Are 'Poll Taxes By Another Name'

nelson-mandela-voter-ID.jpg

Bullshit! We had a fair vote last November. Who did it favor?
You didn't have a fair vote, by any means. Lots of people who should have voted didn't, not your fault, and because of these laws many weren't allowed to, your fault. You have put the cart before the horse, and that is to your advantage.
Shut up and buy me a gun! I have the right to keep and bear arms and dammit I don't have enough guns. And no! I won't show you my ID or submit to a background check.
Hurry up now! I'll expect my gun in 5 minutes. I saw a black guy walking this way.

You didn't have a fair vote, by any means. Lots of people who should have voted didn't, not your fault, and because of these laws many weren't allowed to, your fault. You have put the cart before the horse, and that is to your advantage.
Shut up and buy me a gun! I have the right to keep and bear arms and dammit I don't have enough guns. And no! I won't show you my ID or submit to a background check.
Hurry up now! I'll expect my gun in 5 minutes. I saw a black guy walking this way.
There is no more reason for you to show an ID to buy a gun than there is to vote. Clear now?

The odd thing is that in order to visit the Department of Justice to file a complaint, you have to show a Photo ID at the door

Why is the DOJ so racist?

The odd thing is that in order to visit the Department of Justice to file a complaint, you have to show a Photo ID at the door

Why is the DOJ so racist?
Yes, why are they, since photo ID is not required to petition the American government for redress of grievances now is it?

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

n-JOHN-LEWIS-large570.jpg

WASHINGTON -- Civil rights icon Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.) said Thursday that voter ID laws are a modern-day version of poll taxes once used by Southern states to disenfranchise black and poor people.

In a piece called "The Unfinished Work of Selma," Lewis reflected on the Supreme Court's decision in June 2013 to strike down a core piece of the 1965 Voting Rights Act. That provision, Section 4, determined which states and localities with a history of suppressing minority voters had to get permission from the Justice Department to change their voting laws. In a 5-4 vote, the court ruled that the section was outdated, and left it to Congress to come up with a new formula for designating which regions of the country warrant special scrutiny.

Congress hasn't done anything since. As Lewis noted in his piece, published on Mic, Republicans in statehouses around the country have moved quickly to pass laws making it harder for people to vote.

"Couched in language about 'protecting the ballot box,' Republicans have pushed voter ID laws that disproportionately impact certain blocks of voters -- African-Americans, women, Latinos, the poor and young people -- who tend to vote against them," he wrote. "In Texas alone, 600,000 voters were at risk of being disenfranchised by the new voter ID requirements."

Lewis said it's important to call those laws what they are.

"We should not mince words: These are poll taxes by another name, the very types of discrimination we marched against 50 years ago," he said.

Since the Supreme Court ruling, states that previously required pre-clearance from the federal government -- Mississippi and Texas, to name two -- have been able to pass laws that make voting more difficult for people who are poor, disabled or a minority, through such means as requiring a government-issued photo ID in order to vote. More than half the states in the country have introduced voter ID laws since 2011.

The Unfinished Work of Selma - By Congressman John Lewis (D-GA)

Rep. John Lewis should know. He marched with Dr. King in Selma.

He's a freaking idiot who's time is long past. The supreme court has already ruled that voter ID is not discriminatory. Get over it.

WASHINGTON -- Civil rights icon Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.) said Thursday that voter ID laws are a modern-day version of poll taxes once used by Southern states to disenfranchise black and poor people.

In a piece called "The Unfinished Work of Selma," Lewis reflected on the Supreme Court's decision in June 2013 to strike down a core piece of the 1965 Voting Rights Act. That provision, Section 4, determined which states and localities with a history of suppressing minority voters had to get permission from the Justice Department to change their voting laws. In a 5-4 vote, the court ruled that the section was outdated, and left it to Congress to come up with a new formula for designating which regions of the country warrant special scrutiny.

Congress hasn't done anything since. As Lewis noted in his piece, published on Mic, Republicans in statehouses around the country have moved quickly to pass laws making it harder for people to vote.

"Couched in language about 'protecting the ballot box,' Republicans have pushed voter ID laws that disproportionately impact certain blocks of voters -- African-Americans, women, Latinos, the poor and young people -- who tend to vote against them," he wrote. "In Texas alone, 600,000 voters were at risk of being disenfranchised by the new voter ID requirements."

"We should not mince words: These are poll taxes by another name, the very types of discrimination we marched against 50 years ago," he said.

Since the Supreme Court ruling, states that previously required pre-clearance from the federal government -- Mississippi and Texas, to name two -- have been able to pass laws that make voting more difficult for people who are poor, disabled or a minority, through such means as requiring a government-issued photo ID in order to vote. More than half the states in the country have introduced voter ID laws since 2011.

He's a freaking idiot who's time is long past. The supreme court has already ruled that voter ID is not discriminatory. Get over it.
What they ruled was, let it ride and we'll see. In a short time it will be a moot issue, and all these bills will disappear since they won't help the GOP in the slightest.

What they ruled was, let it ride and we'll see. In a short time it will be a moot issue, and all these bills will disappear since they won't help the GOP in the slightest.

I suppose that's a quote from the decision, You fool!

There is no more reason for you to show an ID to buy a gun than there is to vote. Clear now?
So, why did I have to show ID, submit to a check and have my purchase recorded for posterity?

Let me see links to posts where you have advocated eliminating background checks for firearm purchases.

So, why did I have to show ID, submit to a check and have my purchase recorded for posterity?

Let me see links to posts where you have advocated eliminating background checks for firearm purchases.
Background checks? No, those are allowed. Give your name and get a gun, the delay you might face is up to your state, but no photo ID is necessary for that, buying beer, or voting. They all came along long before photo ID was even invented.

And the solution is easy, issue everyone an ID. That's what other nations do...

The only reason to have these so called voter ID laws is to disenfranchise certain specific constituencies. End of story.
Exactly! Voter ID's laws are designed to disenfranchise the ineligible voter constituency.

Uh huh, don't forget about the ******* and beaners.

The poll tax has only been mentioned here on the USMB about a thousand times. Republicans conveniently ignore that fact. And yet, they pretend to know so much about the constitution.

None of which abridged or violated your rights, but voting is an absolute right. You don't see the difference because you choose not to.

The poll tax has only been mentioned here on the USMB about a thousand times. Republicans conveniently ignore that fact. And yet, they pretend to know so much about the constitution.

One among many things they like to forget about or mischaracterize when it suits them.

Background checks? No, those are allowed. Give your name and get a gun, the delay you might face is up to your state, but no photo ID is necessary for that, buying beer, or voting. They all came along long before photo ID was even invented.

And the solution is easy, issue everyone an ID. That's what other nations do...
Why background checks for purchasing guns but not voting? If you don't require ID to purchase firearms, what is the point of a background check? I could be a diagnosed homicidal maniac and claim to be the pastor at the local Methodist Church and who could dispute it?Much the same, without ID, I could be 17 year old Jose who snuck in from Guadalajara and claim to be John Brown, born in Foley in 1960.
I could go for a free government issued ID as long as it contains no tracking capability.
I just want to make people prove they are eligible to vote before they do.

Exactly. If those people vote, Whitey loses.

It isn't even about that, although so called conservatives blow that whistle all the time. They'd like it to be about race rather than about fundamental fairness.
It's not about race, stupid. It's about identity. I really don't care who people like you want to vote for. You're likely to be unable to find your way to the polls any way.

Exactly. If those people vote, Whitey loses.

It isn't even about that, although so called conservatives blow that whistle all the time. They'd like it to be about race rather than about fundamental fairness.
It's not about race, stupid. It's about identity. I really don't care who people like you want to vote for. You're likely to be unable to find your way to the polls any way.

Uh huh, because of all the evidence of voter fraud, right?

Forum List

Back