Jolly R FLA wins special election

The most interesting number to me was 5%, the amount the Libertarian got. I'd think that would concern the GOP. If Libertarians run in many elections, if people stay home because there isn't a Libertarian, or some combination therein, that could hurt the party.

The most interesting number to me was 5%, the amount the Libertarian got. I'd think that would concern the GOP. If Libertarians run in many elections, if people stay home because there isn't a Libertarian, or some combination therein, that could hurt the party.

If libertarians want more of the same they will run candidates. Maybe the DNC will help sponsor their campaigns. I know, it sucks that right now the only viable alternative to a democrat is a republican but that is the facts. I voted for Perot who had a chance until he went somewhat nuts and he still did well. But it handed the presidency to the wrong side.

If libertarians want more of the same they will run candidates. Maybe the DNC will help sponsor their campaigns. I know, it sucks that right now the only viable alternative to a democrat is a republican but that is the facts. I voted for Perot who had a chance until he went somewhat nuts and he still did well. But it handed the presidency to the wrong side.
You can't say that for certain.

Perot voters may well have just stayed at home, voted for another candidate or for Clinton out of spite.

I realize that this is good news for the Republicans and a take over of the Congress. The only reason this is happening, in my opinion, is because it is the cycle. We cycle between who is running the government. When Republicans bragged about Democrats not winning elections I wondered what would be said when the Democrats were saying the same exact things. We have seen that. The really pathetic thing is that we are merely changing the party of those in control, it is like we are going to expect the government to start running well, ain't gonna happen. It will be more of the same old same old. BUT, with that said, this is the best we the voter can do, term limits through the ballot box. WE, both sides, have to do this sort of a cleansing of the government. If we don't we have the Harry Reids and the Mitch McConnels think they are kings deserving of staying in power. Arrogant SOBs that think we are their subjects, meanwhile they are stealing our eyes out.

SEND A MESSAGE, even if you like your representative. If they have been there more then two terms vote their asses out. It is the only hope.

When people stay home and not vote out of spite, they are doing more damage to our democracy than either of the parties put together in Washington. Get out and vote!

Perot voters may well have just stayed at home, voted for another candidate or for Clinton out of spite.

True but, we who voted for Perot were the patriots who would never shirk their duty and not vote. :D But even if half stayed home and the other half would have voted Republican, Bush wins. Perot took almost 19 percent of the vote, Clinton won by 6 percent.

True but, we who voted for Perot were the patriots who would never shirk their duty and not vote. :D But even if half stayed home and the other half would have voted Republican, Bush wins. Perot took almost 19 percent of the vote, Clinton won by 6 percent.
It's hard enough to try and read the mind of someone sitting across from you, let alone those of 19% of the electorate.

Even though it is plausible to say that Bush41 would have won in 1992, there is just no way to really prove it to any degree of certainty.

When people stay home and not vote out of spite, they are doing more damage to our democracy than either of the parties put together in Washington. Get out and vote!

I have become a bit jaded in my later years. I don't want a whole bunch of ill-informed people voting. Like my democrat friends that say Hillary would make a great President. When asked why they just say, "she just will." They vote party not country. Either that or they don't care about what is going on around them.

It's hard enough to try and read the mind of someone sitting across from you, let alone those of 19% of the electorate.

Even though it is plausible to say that Bush41 would have won in 1992, there is just no way to really prove it to any degree of certainty.

I assume you too young to have voted then, and that is not an insult. But, in my opinion, those leaning democrat voted democrat those fed up voted for Perot in protest. So as you say they may have stayed home but I don't think they would have voted for Clinton.

I assume you too young to have voted then, and that is not an insult. But, in my opinion, those leaning democrat voted democrat those fed up voted for Perot in protest. So as you say they may have stayed home but I don't think they would have voted for Clinton.
No, I wasn't too young. But I am smart enough that none of we humans can read the mind of another, let alone millions of them.

I voted for Perot, as well. Had he not been on the ballot, I probably would have voted libertarian or abstained. Abstention being another ignored factor, of those who claim with certainty that Bush 41 wins that election in his absence.

It is all speculative Monday morning quarterbacking.

Last edited:
Quit giving people the "choice" between smallpox and bubonic plague.

Well then. Don't vote. I'm not going to make you.

But when we hear of people wanting to "throw them all out" just what choice are we giving them at that point? Just what kind of citizens are we if we sit home not attempting to change the direction this country is taking? You either have a choice to continue the status quo by A) voting for the same candidate, B) staying home and not voting at all.

It's like a doctor sitting there with a patient on the operating table with a cancerous tumor. Either he overcomes his inane fear of killing the patient in hopes of saving his life and trusts his abilities while doing his duty, or he lets the patient die.

Voters are a critical part of this republic. If you're going to sit at home and not vote for anybody, then frankly, you're just as bad as either potential candidate. Furthermore, I was taught, if you don't vote you can't complain.

Last edited:
Florida's 13th congressional district - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of representatives[edit]

Representative

Party

Years

Electoral history

District created January 3, 1973
WilliamLehman.jpg William Lehman Democratic January 3, 1973 –
January 3, 1983 Redistricted to the 17th district
Conniemackiii.jpg Connie Mack III Republican January 3, 1983 –
January 3, 1989 Retired to run for U.S. Senate
Bere.gif Porter Goss Republican January 3, 1989 –
January 3, 1993 Redistricted to the 14th district
Repdanmiller.jpg Dan Miller Republican January 3, 1993 –
January 3, 2003 Retired
Katherine Harris (R–FL).jpg Katherine Harris Republican January 3, 2003 –
January 3, 2007 Retired to run for U.S. Senate
Vern Buchanan Official.jpg Vern Buchanan Republican January 3, 2007 –
January 3, 2013 Redistricted to the 16th district
CW Bill Young Portrait.jpg Bill Young Republican January 3, 2013 –
October 18, 2013 Redistricted from the 10th district
Died
Republican TBD –

Its NOT bell weather.

BTW they nearly elected a dem is how you should look at it.

The most interesting number is the 2% with which Jolly won. This seat has been Republican for decades and has been won by Republican predecessors by an average of 14%. In other words, this is the first time a Democrat came close to taking this seat. Based on this, Republicans should be worried instead of gloating. If Republicans lose that much support in every Congressional race come November, they will lose the House.

Forum List

Back