Joy Reid admits she got into Harvard via Affirmative Action

Odds are that she did. Two out of three blacks admitted to Harvard would not have been accepted if they were white. That means she likely took the place of a white, who was rejected for his skin color.

Legacy admissions are not racist policies. So what we basically have are:

1) Legacy admissions, open to blacks and whites alike

2) Regular middle-class blacks, who were given priority due to skin color, and were accepted with grades and scores that would have had them laughed out of the admissions committee if whitr

3) Regular middle-class whites (and more recently Asians) who had to be near-perfect to get in, while they would have been welcomed with open arms if black

The ones who have been robbed of opportunities due to skin color were middle-class whites.
[Say WHAT about Legacy admissions?]

• Legacy admissions are formal and informal practices where schools give additional consideration to college applicants with a parent or other ancestor who’s an alumnus. Banning legacy admissions policies addresses the white-supremacist foundations of higher education, which explicitly prohibited non-White students for more than 200 years.
www.washingtonpost.com › politics › 2022/02/15
How ‘legacy’ admissions to elite colleges and universities ...
------------------------------
Could preserving legacy admissions benefit students of color?
  • So on a small scale, preserving legacy admissions could benefit applicants of color who are children of alumni. But at Princeton, where more than half of admitted students were people of color in 2019, just 27% of legacy admits were students of color.

Why do colleges use legacy admissions? 5 questions answered

theconversation.com/why-do-colleges-use-legacy-admissions-5-questions-answered-169450
----------------------------------
Natasha Warikoo, a sociology professor at Tufts University in Massachusetts and author of "The Diversity Bargain: And Other Dilemmas of Race, Admissions, and Meritocracy at Elite Universities," calls legacy admissions indefensible.

Giving a boost to legacy students, she recently wrote, discounts what others have to offer.
"It's important to recognize that the ways students get selected for these colleges is not a straightforward meritocratic process where you're selecting the quote-unquote 'best of the best,' but there are all of these idiosyncrasies," Warikoo says.

Warikoo's objection isn't that legacy applicants are unqualified. "Legacy applicants tend to be pretty qualified because they're the children of highly educated parents," she says.

The issue for her is that legacy admissions offers a boost to applicants who are already privileged, often at the expense of equally talented students who would add to diversity on campus.
-----

What Legacy Applicants Should Know About College Admissions

"Different colleges have different definitions for what makes a legacy applicant," Adler explains.
Some schools confer legacy status on children of alumni, while others will include grandchildren or siblings. Applicants should check with admissions offices to understand how legacy status is defined at their particular college.

They should also inquire about the process for legacy applicants. For example, some colleges ask legacy applicants to apply via early decision, Adler notes.

Understanding the benefits of legacy status can be difficult to determine. It may mean an extra read on an application, an additional interview or special visiting days for legacy applicants.
"If that's an opportunity, then certainly take advantage of it," Adler advises.

"If you don't get into a place, it doesn't mean you're any worse or less worthy than someone who did get in," Warikoo says. "And on the flip side, someone getting into a place doesn't mean that they're any more worthy than someone else who didn't."

(full article online)

[THis:

"If you don't get into a place, it doesn't mean you're any worse or less worthy than someone who did get in," Warikoo says. "And on the flip side, someone getting into a place doesn't mean that they're any more worthy than someone else who didn't."

Also applies to the young person whose mother passed away from cancer. I choose to think that that student got into an even better school, or did very well in that school and had a great career.]

[Say WHAT about Legacy admissions?]

• Legacy admissions are formal and informal practices where schools give additional consideration to college applicants with a parent or other ancestor who’s an alumnus. Banning legacy admissions policies addresses the white-supremacist foundations of higher education, which explicitly prohibited non-White students for more than 200 years.
www.washingtonpost.com › politics › 2022/02/15
How ‘legacy’ admissions to elite colleges and universities ...
------------------------------
Could preserving legacy admissions benefit students of color?
  • So on a small scale, preserving legacy admissions could benefit applicants of color who are children of alumni. But at Princeton, where more than half of admitted students were people of color in 2019, just 27% of legacy admits were students of color.

Why do colleges use legacy admissions? 5 questions answered

theconversation.com/why-do-colleges-use-legacy-admissions-5-questions-answered-169450
----------------------------------
Natasha Warikoo, a sociology professor at Tufts University in Massachusetts and author of "The Diversity Bargain: And Other Dilemmas of Race, Admissions, and Meritocracy at Elite Universities," calls legacy admissions indefensible.

Giving a boost to legacy students, she recently wrote, discounts what others have to offer.
"It's important to recognize that the ways students get selected for these colleges is not a straightforward meritocratic process where you're selecting the quote-unquote 'best of the best,' but there are all of these idiosyncrasies," Warikoo says.

Warikoo's objection isn't that legacy applicants are unqualified. "Legacy applicants tend to be pretty qualified because they're the children of highly educated parents," she says.

The issue for her is that legacy admissions offers a boost to applicants who are already privileged, often at the expense of equally talented students who would add to diversity on campus.
-----

What Legacy Applicants Should Know About College Admissions

"Different colleges have different definitions for what makes a legacy applicant," Adler explains.
Some schools confer legacy status on children of alumni, while others will include grandchildren or siblings. Applicants should check with admissions offices to understand how legacy status is defined at their particular college.

They should also inquire about the process for legacy applicants. For example, some colleges ask legacy applicants to apply via early decision, Adler notes.

Understanding the benefits of legacy status can be difficult to determine. It may mean an extra read on an application, an additional interview or special visiting days for legacy applicants.
"If that's an opportunity, then certainly take advantage of it," Adler advises.

(full article online)

[THis:

Also applies to the young person whose mother passed away from cancer. I choose to think that that student got into an even better school, or did very well in that school and had a great career.]
Legacies have nothing to do with race.

As far as the young person whose mother passed away from cancer, I too hope he got into a better school - but his challenge would have been the same there: priority would be given to blacks who were poorer students there, as well. Being white was a big detriment.

But why can’t you take that attitude toward a black student who will now be rejected because they no longer qualify for ”bonus points” due to skin color? He too could end up at a better school and still have a great career.

That’s because you have blinders on. The charts showing how blacks are accepted with SUBSTANTIALLY lower grades and test scores than whites and Asians have been posted here many times.
What does that matter? The White, Asian, Jewish, Indian students ended up living under a bridge? Clearly not.

Blacks, indigenous people, women, and others have never had a chance, as you seem to think they did, or do. There is always a struggle to open up certain parts of society to allow these people, anyone who is not given a chance, the right to have that chance.

Every time, it is something to do with Black people and how they do not deserve something or should stop complaining about something.

As many of you refuse to look into the history of America where it concerns the treatment and rights of Black people, amongst others, one will never expect that the response may someday change.

Legacies have nothing to do with race.

As far as the young person whose mother passed away from cancer, I too hope he got into a better school - but his challenge would have been the same there: priority would be given to blacks who were poorer students there, as well. Being white was a big detriment.

But why can’t you take that attitude toward a black student who will now be rejected because they no longer qualify for ”bonus points” due to skin color? He too could end up at a better school and still have a great career.
Because it has NOT been the history of Black peoples in this country due to a blatant amount of Racism endlessly displayed by Universities and jobs, and renting or buying. And the same has happened with Jews, because they were Jews.

Last edited:
Oh, so now I’m not a good Jew. I lack the proper “feeling.”

I don’t prioritize one race over another. ALL people deserve an opportunity, and people of one race shouldn’t be jumped ahead in line.

And I focus on blacks because in my line of work, the racism that ADVANTAGED them over others was most prominent in that group.
You lack knowledge. And wisdom.

Again, you lack the knowledge of American History on how Blacks were treated and continue to be treated in this country. Why MLK and others had to struggle for their civil rights, to have their votes count.

No, the vote suppression in Republican governed States is not targeted at Black communities. They are not going to be deprived of their votes, of the right to be heard, etc.

Just par for the course.

Leftists need to take a look at the poorly-run federal government where blacks are overrepresented. Many of them are part of a two-income government family, with an income of $250,000 - $300,000 and enjoying steakhouse dinners and McMansions, and “work” from home four days a week.

They are hardly deprived. Why should their kids get benefit of their skin color when applying and accepted to Harvard, when thousands of white valedictorians with SATs of 1520 are rejected? Glad it’s finally coming to an end.
More importantly, affirmative action is one societal solution to the challenges we have addressed across the centuries of learning that all children deserve equal and equitable access to education. While our rabbinic literature might have represented this in the language of their times, there is no question that in the US today, the obligation to “teach a child in the ways they need,” means “take into account the racial inequities, disparities and exclusions” which are an obstacle to inclusion and success.

Leftists need to take a look at the poorly-run federal government where blacks are overrepresented. Many of them are part of a two-income government family, with an income of $250,000 - $300,000 and enjoying steakhouse dinners and McMansions, and “work” from home four days a week.

They are hardly deprived. Why should their kids get benefit of their skin color when applying and accepted to Harvard, when thousands of white valedictorians with SATs of 1520 are rejected? Glad it’s finally coming to an end.
Thank you for the totally Republican attack on Democrats working on this very successful administration.

Yes, there are many Black people who are well off because they worked hard at it, like many others.

BUT, the reality remains that MOST Black people are poor, or facing poverty, they are denied good jobs, good places to rent, good areas to buy from, good schools to go to.

Katrina was a terrible example of where Black people are forced to live and what happens to them when a Dam bursts and takes away their homes and livelihood.

Flint, Michigan is another example of how some States or cities do not give a darn about the people who live in them if they happen to be black.

Harris County, Texas is another example as to how, because the Black citizens voted for a Democrat, that county now faces problems with the Republicans trying to take their voting rights away.
---

That is the reality of Black history in America.

It’s rather unbelievable that his insufferable dumb c**t has a degree, much less from Harvard. Just shows how worthless these degrees are.
Her 'degree' makes her Millions of Dollars per year.
This ^^^ dumb c**t out powers you sweetie.
She is on Network Television, just like your buddy Hannity.
You are on a message board.
Why would you assume that?

I’d beat her in an IQ test any day of the week.

I have a degree myself, and several professional certifications.
Your degree...... LOLLOLLL, does it make you Thousands of Dollars per year.
It proves her degree is WAY more valuable than yours.

Last edited:
Thank you for the totally Republican attack on Democrats working on this very successful administration.

Yes, there are many Black people who are well off because they worked hard at it, like many others.

BUT, the reality remains that MOST Black people are poor, or facing poverty, they are denied good jobs, good places to rent, good areas to buy from, good schools to go to.

Katrina was a terrible example of where Black people are forced to live and what happens to them when a Dam bursts and takes away their homes and livelihood.

Flint, Michigan is another example of how some States or cities do not give a darn about the people who live in them if they happen to be black.

Harris County, Texas is another example as to how, because the Black citizens voted for a Democrat, that county now faces problems with the Republicans trying to take their voting rights away.
---

That is the reality of Black history in America.

1) MOST black Americans are not poor. They are working or middle class, like most Americans in general. You’re just falling for the Democrat agenda of positioning blacks as poor, oppressed victims.

2) That you would call the Biden Administration “very successful,“ well….I’m just speechless. This is the worst I’ve seen it. We have a president painting millions of Americans as threats to the country, a porous border with millions of illegal aliens coming in, a massive crime wave, and half the country struggling to put food on the table and gas in the tank during a 40-year high in inflation.

3) All you seem to care about are blacks, with little concern for whites. I bet you agree with a liberal when I told her my story:

My dad, may he RIP, was the son of impoverished Jewish immigrants fleeing persecution overseas and grew up in a cold-water flat four flights up. Yet, because of the values instilled by his parents and his own motivation and discipline (and intelligence), he scored at the very top of the Regents exam and won a paid college education. From there, he launched a successful career and enjoyed a comfortable life.

Now what, I asked the liberal friend, would have happened if Affirmative Action existed in the 40s, and a black kid with worse grades and scores got in - and my dad was rejected? Her answer was that my dad could have gone to a lesser school and still have had a good life.

My answer was: well, why couldn’t the black with the lesser grades/scores be the one to go to the lesser school and still have a good life? IOW, why should the poverty-stricken, extra-bright Jewish kid be the one to make the sacrifice?

P.S. There were blacks in my dad’s college too, as well as my mom’s.

1) MOST black Americans are not poor. They are working or middle class, like most Americans in general. You’re just falling for the Democrat agenda of positioning blacks as poor, oppressed victims.
Black Americans born poor are much less likely to move up the income ladder than those in other racial groups, especially whites. Why? Many factors are at work, including educational inequalities, neighborhood effects, workplace discrimination, parenting, access to credit, rates of incarceration, and so on.

2) That you would call the Biden Administration “very successful,“ well….I’m just speechless. This is the worst I’ve seen it. We have a president painting millions of Americans as threats to the country, a porous border with millions of illegal aliens coming in, a massive crime wave, and half the country struggling to put food on the table and gas in the tank during a 40-year high in inflation.
Fact free allegations:

I am so sorry if too many Republicans have shown themselves to be against the Constitution and the Rule of Law because the former President told them what they wanted to hear. And by listening to him we had an assault on Democracy on 1/6/21. And a continues and endless threat to people in office because they were doing their jobs as Election officials, House Representatives, Senators, Mayors, Governors, any and all with the elected power to do their job, and the Republicans did not like the results of that election.

There is no massive crime wave, there is an intentional lack of guts on the Republican part to implement background checking and other gun related laws which would save lives and diminish crimes.

Right back at YAH for repeating what Republican MAGA sources say, without spending one second to check for the facts.
Republican States have a higher number of crimes than other States.

Gas prices are way down from last year. Again, you have not bothered to update your news, and your sources.

AND President Biden rightfully paints MAGA Republicans as being a threat to the Constitution and the Rule of Law. MAGA attacked the Capitol on 1/6. MAGA has threatened and continues to threaten government officials, Republicans and Democrats alike.

3) All you seem to care about are blacks, with little concern for whites. I bet you agree with a liberal when I told her my story:

My dad, may he RIP, was the son of impoverished Jewish immigrants fleeing persecution overseas and grew up in a cold-water flat four flights up. Yet, because of the values instilled by his parents and his own motivation and discipline (and intelligence), he scored at the very top of the Regents exam and won a paid college education. From there, he launched a successful career and enjoyed a comfortable life.

Now what, I asked the liberal friend, would have happened if Affirmative Action existed in the 40s, and a black kid with worse grades and scores got in - and my dad was rejected? Her answer was that my dad could have gone to a lesser school and still have had a good life.

My answer was: well, why couldn’t the black with the lesser grades/scores be the one to go to the lesser school and still have a good life? IOW, why should the poverty-stricken, extra-bright Jewish kid be the one to make the sacrifice?

P.S. There were blacks in my dad’s college too, as well as my mom’s.
I want the source for that.

BTW, Jews are not White, will never be treated equal to European Caucasian "Whites".

Last edited:
Black Americans born poor are much less likely to move up the income ladder than those in other racial groups, especially whites. Why? Many factors are at work, including educational inequalities, neighborhood effects, workplace discrimination, parenting, access to credit, rates of incarceration, and so on.

That‘s all in the past. There has been 40 years of FAVORITISM toward blacks, at the expense of others.

Fact free allegations:

I am so sorry if too many Republicans have shown themselves to be against the Constitution and the Rule of Law because the former President told them what they wanted to hear. And by listening to him we had an assault on Democracy on 1/6/21. And a continues and endless threat to people in office because they were doing their jobs as Election officials, House Representatives, Senators, Mayors, Governors, any and all with the elected power to do their job, and the Republicans did not like the results of that election.

There is no massive crime wave, there is an intentional lack of guts on the Republican part to implement background checking and other gun related laws which would save lives and diminish crimes.

Right back at YAH for repeating what Republican MAGA sources say, without spending one second to check for the facts.
Republican States have a higher number of crimes than other States.

Gas prices are way down from last year. Again, you have not bothered to update your news, and your sources.
So gas prices are down from Biden’s peak of last year? Still nowhere near the low prices we enjoyed when Trump had us energy independent.

As for the rest of your rant, with the nasty MAGA stuff, you’re too brainwashed against your fellow Americans to even attempt to educate you.
I want the source for that.

Source to my story? I say it’s true, and that’s sufficient.
BTW, Jews are not White, will never be treated equal to European Caucasian "Whites".
I always considered my race Caucasian and my religion Jewish. There is no such thing as a Jewish race.

That‘s all in the past. There has been 40 years of FAVORITISM toward blacks, at the expense of others.

So gas prices are down from Biden’s peak of last year? Still nowhere near the low prices we enjoyed when Trump had us energy independent.

As for the rest of your rant, with the nasty MAGA stuff, you’re too brainwashed against your fellow Americans to even attempt to educate you.

Source to my story? I say it’s true, and that’s sufficient.

I always considered my race Caucasian and my religion Jewish. There is no such thing as a Jewish race.
Right, I am brainwashed. May I stay that way.

No source, take your word for anything? OK

Trump had gas prices down. Before the pandemic, and the Russian invasion. No wonder prices were down, just about everything before the Pandemic and the Russian invasion.

Gas Companies have done what they usually do. Up prices. Food companies, as well. Because of the Pandemic, container, truck issues, the Russian invasion of Ukraine, and also BECAUSE THEY ALWAYS DO THAT.

ROTFLOL

Last edited:

Why did the US need HBCUs?​

Historically black colleges and universities, commonly called HBCUs, were created to provide higher education to disenfranchised African Americans in the United States, who were otherwise prohibited from attending most colleges.

The first and oldest HBCU, Cheyney University, was founded in 1837 in Pennsylvania. At the time, Blacks were not allowed to attend most colleges and postsecondary institutions, as a result of slavery and segregation.

Under the 1965 Higher Education Act, HBCUs were officially defined as institutions of higher learning that were accredited and established before 1964. The act allocated federal grants and funding to those colleges and universities.
These institutions would become largely responsible for the black middle class composed of doctors, lawyers, teachers, engineers and other professionals.
HBCUs continue to produce black celebrities, professionals, and leaders.

The two oldest HBCU medical schools Meharry Medical College and Howard University are responsible for more than 80% of African American doctors and dentists practicing in the US today, according to the US Department of Education.

Notable African American alum - like Senator Kamala Harris - aren't far and few. The long list of successful African Americans who attended HBCUs include civil rights leader Martin Luther King, the first African American US Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, media mogul Oprah Winfrey and director Spike Lee - to name a few.

Why are they still relevant today?​

While the initial mission was focused on educating marginalised African Americans, today these colleges are comprised of all demographics. As of 2016, non-black students made up 23% of enrolment at HBCUs.
Still, historically black institutions are considered safe-havens for African Americans.
Many students at Howard, founded in 1867, say that HBCUs are one of the only places that transcend racism still prevalent in society.

"It is necessary to hone in on black spaces where we can thrive, support and reach each other before stepping out into a society ruled by racism and built on keeping black people in last place," says Autasia Ramos, a recent graduate of Howard University.

The lack of barriers allow students to learn about their history, see their potential through the lens of other successful African Americans who have come before them, and become resilient in a society that still struggles to appreciate them.

Mara Peoples, Howard's student body vice-president who met Ms Harris when she launched her presidential bid, points to the California senator as an example of how HBCUs foster that potential.

"I feel that I've found validation in myself going to an HBCU because I am able to learn more about my background and I have more opportunities that are geared toward me, as a black individual," she says.

Forum List

Back