Judaism 101

Paul was a Platonist to the core. Slam. Dunk.

And Platonists are known for using only a single metaphor? Keep in mind, I am not debating whether or not Paul was a Platonist. I'm sure he was educated knew of Plato and his philosophies. For example, Paul's, there are many parts, but one body is the clearer example of Platonist influence. The metaphor of through a glass a darkly is more likely to reference the glass in use at that time, than it does Plato's cave. Both cave and glass do present the idea of shadows, and there is a similarity in that.

Too many to list.
Every verse he references.
Look up the original and he got it wrong.

I didn't ask for all of them. If there are that many, it will be easy to pick just one. What is one that immediately comes to mind?

Too many to list.
Every verse he references.
Look up the original and he got it wrong.

I didn't ask for all of them. If there are that many, it will be easy to pick just one. What is one that immediately comes to mind?
The Shema, for instance, was misquoted.
I haven't read my NT in many years...
Matthew had me giggling to no end.
I mean no disrespect to anyone who was given the NT without getting the Torah first.
Every quote from Jeremiah and Isaiah is misquoted and mangled out of context, but we discussed that yesterday.

Matthew 1:22...
The Virgin birth.
I don't have Isaiah in front of me and typing on the iPhone 6 keyboard is a nightmare.
Keep reading and within a few dozen verses the child is born in the very book of Isaiah.
You see, no one reads Isaiah because it's, well, close to unreadable.
But I read the first half a few months ago and was shocked when I read the verse where the baby is born.
So much for 1:22 referring to Jesus.

Matthew 2:15...
Only half the verse is quoted; out of context.
The full reference is to the Exodus from Egypt.

Matthew 5:21...
Where the heck did this come from?!
That quote doesn't even exist!
And the word is "murder", not "kill".

The rest of Matthew 5 is a complete override of the Torah.
But notice it doesn't say, "The Torah says", it says, "You have heard it said".
This leads me to suspect that Matthew was illiterate.

The Shema, for instance, was misquoted.
I haven't read my NT in many years...
Matthew had me giggling to no end.
I mean no disrespect to anyone who was given the NT without getting the Torah first.
Every quote from Jeremiah and Isaiah is misquoted and mangled out of context, but we discussed that yesterday.

Paul never quotes the Shema. In various places he writes that God is one, which of course is a teaching of the Shema. The closest he comes to quoting the Shema is quoting Malachi who also writes there is one God. Perhaps you can tell me the book and chapter where you believe Paul is misquoting the Shema and exactly how he misquotes it.

As we discussed earlier, Matthew does a brilliant job of literary foreshadowing. Foreshadowing is intended to be different, yet points to a similar event.

And, of course you mean both disrespect and ridicule, but only because you know the original events so well. I was smiling throughout Harry Potter because JK Rowling tied many mythical stories into the Harry Potter saga. She, too, used poetic license, but it wasn't an insult to ancient myths, and it certainly didn't detract from her story. She wasn't trying to rewrite mythology, and Matthew was not trying to rewrite the Torah. Plus, do people need to read mythology before reading Harry Potter? No, but it may ignite an interest in mythology is some. Same with Matthew.

The Virgin birth.
I don't have Isaiah in front of me and typing on the iPhone 6 keyboard is a nightmare.
Keep reading and within a few dozen verses the child is born in the very book of Isaiah.
But I read the first half a few months ago and was shocked when I read the verse where the baby is born.

So we are going to discuss Matthew instead of Paul? That's okay, too.

Matthew takes an event in Isaiah where a young married woman (perhaps his own wife) is with child. This child is born, the future King Hezekiah.

Also no need to be shocked. Jesus was not supposed to be born in the same place as King Hezekiah, but in King David's city.

Again, "foreshadowing" is the more accurate term, not "referencing." Keep in mind that Catholic Bibles footnote all these differences.

Matthew 2:15...
Only half the verse is quoted; out of context.
The full reference is to the Exodus from Egypt.
Foreshadowing. Try to keep in mind that the majority of Christians are aware of these differences. You seem to only follow Christians who insist an event is solely and purely a prophecy of Jesus.

Most of us understand the similarities in the Torah and Jesus' life to be an indicator of God's interaction with mankind in both eras.

Matthew 6:6...
No Churches according to Matthew.
This is a fine example of taking a button and using it to knit a sweater that doesn't even match the button!

Reading the whole of Matthew we learn there is a time for public prayer, a time for private prayer, a time for group prayer/worship, a time for personal prayer/worship. Personal prayer time should take place in a closet, not out in public. Community prayer takes place in a large area or out in the open where there is room for all. Both types of prayer/worship are encouraged--it is not an either/or proposition.

The Virgin birth.

So we are going to discuss Matthew instead of Paul? That's okay, too.

Matthew takes an event in Isaiah where a young married woman (perhaps his own wife) is with child. This child is born, the future King Hezekiah.

Also no need to be shocked. Jesus was not supposed to be born in the same place as King Hezekiah, but in King David's city.

Again, "foreshadowing" is the more accurate term, not "referencing." Keep in mind that Catholic Bibles footnote all these differences.
Let's be honest...
The event was predicted and happened as predicted and Paul, in his Gospel According to Matthew, shows what a dunce he is.
No Jew living at the time of the Gospels could take them seriously.

Matthew 6:6...
No Churches according to Matthew.
This is a fine example of taking a button and using it to knit a sweater that doesn't even match the button!

Reading the whole of Matthew we learn there is a time for public prayer, a time for private prayer, a time for group prayer/worship, a time for personal prayer/worship. Personal prayer time should take place in a closet, not out in public. Community prayer takes place in a large area or out in the open where there is room for all. Both types of prayer/worship are encouraged--it is not an either/or proposition.
Show where the Gospels advocate public prayer.

Paul was addressing his audience face to face; there was no room for foreshadowing.

You're looking at this from a 21st century perspective.

footnote all these differences.
Let's be honest...
The event was predicted and happened as predicted and Paul, in his Gospel According to Matthew, shows what a dunce he is.

Do Jews teach prophecy only as prediction? Catholics teach prophecy, not as prediction (necessarily) but as people who speak the word of God. Next, Paul didn't write a Gospel, he wrote letters. Matthew seems to have been a member/leader of an early Christian community comprised both of Jews and Gentiles.

footnote all these differences.
Let's be honest...

Do Jews teach prophecy only as prediction? Catholics teach prophecy, not as prediction (necessarily) but as people who speak the word of God. Next, Paul didn't write a Gospel, he wrote letters. Matthew seems to have been a member/leader of an early Christian community comprised both of Jews and Gentiles.[/QUOTE]
Prophecy as prediction is purely a Christian concept.
There are no predictions in TJS.
There is God communicating to avoid punishment.

It is believed by many scholars that Paul wrote the Gospels According to...

Forum List

Back