Judge Engoron to recuse?

Delldude

Sheep Dipped Boy Scout
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2014
Plasticville U.S.A
Recent revelation that could cause the Judge to recuse. Boy this could be a real kick to the left's nutz.

The 24-page filing said Judge Engoron should step aside in light of a state judicial conduct investigation launched last month. Sources familiar with the investigation said the probe is examining whether Engoron engaged in an improper conversation about the case with an expert real estate lawyer three weeks before issuing his $454 million penalty ruling.

That lawyer is Adam Leitman Bailey, who unexpectedly revealed his alleged interaction with the judge during two taped TV interviews with NBC New York in February.
"I wanted him to know what I think and why…I really want him to get it right," Bailey said, repeating that it had been his intention to advise Engoron about the law in the Trump case and why harsh penalties would be bad for business in New York. Bailey later said he and the judge "never mentioned the word Donald Trump," but when asked if it had been clear which case they had been discussing, Bailey responded "Well obviously we weren't talking about the Mets."

In their motion, the Trump legal team said WNBC's reporting on Bailey's public statements raises questions about outside influence on the judge.

"Where, as here, this Court's impartiality might reasonably be questioned under the circumstances, it must recuse. Indeed, there is no other means of dispelling the shadow that now looms over this Court's impartiality," the filing states.

Recent revelation that could cause the Judge to recuse. Boy this could be a real kick to the left's nutz.

The 24-page filing said Judge Engoron should step aside in light of a state judicial conduct investigation launched last month. Sources familiar with the investigation said the probe is examining whether Engoron engaged in an improper conversation about the case with an expert real estate lawyer three weeks before issuing his $454 million penalty ruling.

That lawyer is Adam Leitman Bailey, who unexpectedly revealed his alleged interaction with the judge during two taped TV interviews with NBC New York in February.
"I wanted him to know what I think and why…I really want him to get it right," Bailey said, repeating that it had been his intention to advise Engoron about the law in the Trump case and why harsh penalties would be bad for business in New York. Bailey later said he and the judge "never mentioned the word Donald Trump," but when asked if it had been clear which case they had been discussing, Bailey responded "Well obviously we weren't talking about the Mets."

In their motion, the Trump legal team said WNBC's reporting on Bailey's public statements raises questions about outside influence on the judge.

"Where, as here, this Court's impartiality might reasonably be questioned under the circumstances, it must recuse. Indeed, there is no other means of dispelling the shadow that now looms over this Court's impartiality," the filing states.

Probably not. The interaction as alleged doesn't provide any reasonable expectation of either a conflict of interest or a lack of impartiality.

How so? And please be specific. These vague and generic blanket statements are not the basis of any successful appeal.

It's all about ethics and bias.

Engoron didn't take the guy's advice, that we know.... The guy supported Trump, not be fined heavily....
Edgoron still had a conversation with him about the case during the case. The man gives an interview to a media outlet WNBC, discussing how he had this talk with the judge about the case during the case.

This judge has to be recused/removed.

So this is Trump's latest gambit to try to overturn his convictions. It won't work either.

What a fucking asshole Trump truly is.

Judging by the three cases that have unjustly and unfairly persecuted Trump, it would probably be better for the country if the whole NYC justice system recuse themselves from all cases. There hasn't even been the slightest hint of justice in any of the NYC trials against Trump. Today's NYC justice system seems to be more like a legal firm representing 'The Hookers Union' than anything else. Trumpie will fix it.

Edgoron still had a conversation with him about the case during the case. The man gives an interview to a media outlet WNBC, discussing how he had this talk with the judge about the case during the case.

This judge has to be recused/removed.
The trial is over, I don't believe a judge can recuse AFTERWARDS. The defendant could appeal on this basis perhaps, if you can prove he was influenced somehow. Cases where the 12 jurors came to their verdict already, with no signs of being corrupted, usually stand.... It'll be a hard call to do, in appeal to get a mistrial for something like this imo....

What if this real estate mogul was friends with Trump and was guilty of trying to influence the judge in Trump's favor?

The trial is over, I don't believe a judge can recuse AFTERWARDS. The defendant could appeal on this basis perhaps, if you can prove he was influenced somehow. Cases where the 12 jurors came to their verdict already, with no signs of being corrupted, usually stand.... It'll be a hard call to do, in appeal to get a mistrial for something like this imo....

What if this real estate mogul was friends with Trump and was guilty of trying to influence the judge in Trump's favor?
If you read it... it says that when a judge does such a thing that recusal is the only punishment for him.

If you read it... it says that when a judge does such a thing that recusal is the only punishment for him.
Ok. What does recusal entail, after a trial is over, and after the jury of 12 came to their verdict? What would he be recused from, at this point? Isn't the case over? Or are there other decisions for the judge to continue to make? That's what is confusing to me....??!!

The idea that a Judge has to recuse himself (or herself) because some rando walks up on a public hallway and starts babbling is just hilarious.

Shows the desperation of the defense team to grab at anything to increase the number of billable hours.

Think it through people, all any defendant would have to do is watch to see how their case is going, if not well, hire some rando to walk up to a Judge and start babbling about the case. Then "poof" recusal, mistrial, and back to the starting blocks.

I wouldn't be surprised if the filing lawyers of the motion are referred to the New York State bar for disciplinary action for filing such a frivolous request.
Care4all - It was the Trump Fraud Case which was a bench trial, not the E. Jean Carrol cases which were jury trials.

WW

Forum List

Back