Judge Halts Wyoming Abortion Ban Days After It Took Effect

The ones that no one could dispute. Severe chromosomal abnormalities that make it impossible for the fetus to survive and / or situations that threaten the life of the mother.
And as I said those types of genetic abnormalities are detectable well before viability why would anyone wait until the 9th month to screen for them?

After fetal viability the removal by caesarean section or induced labor seems to me to be no more risky than an abortion as any way of removing a fetus at such a late term would be invasive.

If the life of the mother was in jeopardy the same applies. The fetus is going to have to be removed by some invasive procedure so is an abortion at that moment any safer than a C section?

In these situations if a family member has to decide which life to give priority they can do that as well but why does that have to mean that an attempt cannot be made to save both?

And as I said those types of genetic abnormalities are detectable well before viability why would anyone wait until the 9th month to screen for them?

After fetal viability the removal by caesarean section or induced labor seems to me to be no more risky than an abortion as any way of removing a fetus at such a late term would be invasive.

If the life of the mother was in jeopardy the same applies. The fetus is going to have to be removed by some invasive procedure so is an abortion at that moment any safer than a C section?

In these situations if a family member has to decide which life to give priority they can do that as well but why does that have to mean that an attempt cannot be made to save both?
The 30 week checkup often reveals many of these problems. And yes that's why abortions occur up to week 37. Once discovered,decisions have to be made and if an abortion is necessary it has to be scheduled. Everything takes time. Fortunately most abortions occur early as you already stated.

I don't know if they still do it, but in case the mother's health is really bad, they used to use crusher forceps to remove the fetus vaginally, especially on the cases involving hydrocephalics. It's better and safer for the woman than a C-section.

The 30 week checkup often reveals many of these problems. And yes that's why abortions occur up to week 37. Once discovered,decisions have to be made and if an abortion is necessary it has to be scheduled. Everything takes time. Fortunately most abortions occur early as you already stated.

Genetic abnormalities can be screened for well in advance of 30 weeks.

The fact that abortion at 30 weeks is almost nonexistent seems to indicate that most people do know these things well before that time.

you are using the exception as the rule. I think all abortion laws need to have the exception that if the life of the mother is in actual jeopardy then her life takes precedence. But if both lives are in equal jeopardy why not attempt to save both?

I don't know if they still do it, but in case the mother's health is really bad, they used to use crusher forceps to remove the fetus vaginally, especially on the cases involving hydrocephalics. It's better and safer for the woman than a C-section.
It's still invasive and they still have to induce labor.

And again these are the exception to the rule.

Do you really believe that a perfectly healthy woman with a perfectly healthy 30 week old fetus should be able to have an elective abortion? Should doctors be force to do these elective late term abortions?

The fact that abortion at 30 weeks is almost nonexistent seems to indicate that most people do know these things well before that time.

you are using the exception as the rule. I think all abortion laws need to have the exception that if the life of the mother is in actual jeopardy then her life takes precedence. But if both lives are in equal jeopardy why not attempt to save both?
I believe we should allow those decisions up to the physician

It's still invasive and they still have to induce labor.

And again these are the exception to the rule.

Do you really believe that a perfectly healthy woman with a perfectly healthy 30 week old fetus should have an elective abortion?
That decision should always rest between her and her physician. It doesn't matter what you or I think / believe about it. It is not our situiation.

That decision should always rest between her and her physician. It doesn't matter what you or I think / believe about it. It is not our situiation.
This is where I disagree.

It's not an unreasonable compromise to put a limit on elective abortion after fetal viability.

Like you said no woman who needs an abortion is going to wait that long. So all of these cases are exceptions to the rule. Got to run. Later.

All it takes is a law defining a viable fetus as a person.

It is not an unreasonable compromise.
Thanks, but no thanks. Once we go down that road there will be no end to outside interference on a totally personal decision.

Forum List

Back