Judge Orders Man to Stop Smoking In His Own Home.

Why doesn't he just have the hole in the basement fixed where the air is escaping?

my thoughts too, fix the hole. A man should be able to smoke in his home, I'd say the neighbors need to move. Sorry, this is invasion of what one does in his home, he is not a renter.

Why do the new neighbors think that it is not their own responsibility to fix the hole rather than taking away the rights of a home owner?
Loss of freedom for one individual and irresponsibility of the other individual is not what America is all about.
The Judge should be fired.

If the neighbor has a window open at all, they will get still more smoke inside their home from the guy smoking outside.

Initially I thought this was an invasion of privacy but after learning the details of the story I agree with the judge. Thoughts?

Judge orders man to stop smoking in his own home - CNN Video

My initial thought was this was bullshit but after seeing the video I KNOW its bullshit
If the smoke stayed on his property I would agree. its going into the other home. Basically everyone knows that second hand smoke is dangerous. He is like someone with AIDS intentionally infecting others.

Initially I thought this was an invasion of privacy but after learning the details of the story I agree with the judge. Thoughts?

"Gray is not quitting cold turkey by choice. Instead, it's by a temporary order of the court that Gray can no longer light up in the Northeast D.C. home that's been owned by his family for 50 years.

"We were floored," said Gray's sister, Mozella Johnson.

Johnson says she was shocked a lawsuit filed by neighbors who moved in last year could now dictate what the family can do inside its home.
They claim they're being harmed by smoke they say sneaks into their home through a hole in the basement."
D.C. man can t smoke in own home due to temporary precedent-setting court order WJLA.com

Probably get overturned if he appeals.

Seal the hole newbies. End of problem.

"Gray is not quitting cold turkey by choice. Instead, it's by a temporary order of the court that Gray can no longer light up in the Northeast D.C. home that's been owned by his family for 50 years.

Johnson says she was shocked a lawsuit filed by neighbors who moved in last year could now dictate what the family can do inside its home.
They claim they're being harmed by smoke they say sneaks into their home through a hole in the basement."
D.C. man can t smoke in own home due to temporary precedent-setting court order WJLA.com

I dont think its as simple as fixing the hole. If that was the case there would be no issue and the judge would have ordered either party ot fix the hole.. The hole may not accessible to them and allows the smoke to get into the ventilation system.

Maybe the neighbors can make his house payments since they seem to be able to control what he does in his home.
Dont fall for that. He'll end up owning both houses if he starts paying the mortgage or taxes.

I dont think its as simple as fixing the hole. If that was the case there would be no issue and the judge would have ordered either party ot fix the hole.. The hole may not accessible to them and allows the smoke to get into the ventilation system.

Since these are houses and not apartments, a homeowner is responsible for maintenance and repairs of their home. If smoke's wafting in through a hole, that's your responsibiltiy to fix. And any effect of leaving something broken or in need of repair shouldn't infringe on the legal rights of a neighbor. You're in effect volunteering to suffer the consequences for not fixing the problem. So anything coming from that refusal is on you, not your neighbor.

Makes even less sense since he can smoke on his porch where presumedly the smoke will fly towards the other house if the wind is right, but not inside where it shouldn't even be noticed.

My initial thought was this was bullshit but after seeing the video I KNOW its bullshit
If the smoke stayed on his property I would agree. its going into the other home. Basically everyone knows that second hand smoke is dangerous. He is like someone with AIDS intentionally infecting others.

I disagree so hard it aint funny.

If they have a problem with the smoke and actions speak louder than words. Not repairing the hole shows it isnt important to them.

Judge SHOULD'VE ordered they repair the hole and stop being controlling ass hats

"The couple suing Johnson and Gray declined 7 On Your Side’s request for an interview. Court filings and a statement they supplied to ABC7 say they tried to work with Johnson and Gray, but had to file suit when mediation attempts failed. In addition to the injunction, their lawsuit asks for $500,000 in damages. The case is ongoing."

Looking more and more like a nuissance/harassment type lawsuit. Should send in a air quality team to both homes to sample the air and see if there's really cross-contamination.

Since these are houses and not apartments, a homeowner is responsible for maintenance and repairs of their home. If smoke's wafting in through a hole, that's your responsibiltiy to fix. And any effect of leaving something broken or in need of repair shouldn't infringe on the legal rights of a neighbor. You're in effect volunteering to suffer the consequences for not fixing the problem. So anything coming from that refusal is on you, not your neighbor.
A ventilation system is a hole you cant fix. If the entry point of the smoke is not accessible to the neighbor how do they fix it? There is something more complicated about these homes as evidenced by the fact they share a wall.

Forum List

Back