🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Judge rules for Kountze cheerleaders in Bible banner suit

False! Sweepingly false.

freedom OF religion is default, freedom FROM religion. It’s such a simple principle, I’m surprised you or anyone else is having such difficulty with it. Well, I’ll correct that statement and advise that I suspect you’re in agreement with Christian displays of religious invocations because those appeals to your partisan religious beliefs
What the issue here is, is the Constitution precludes the government from establishing any religion by law. Now say that part over to yourself very slowly:
Remember, freedom of religion is default freedom from religion, else there is a legal precedence to force you to adhere to the "majority religion" (i.e., Christians are free from believing in competitive religions.

That is an important point because we can see the results of that precept not in force.

Turkish book on Darwin sparks outrage - FT.com

Thank the gods I have freedom from religion.

Late edit - the link requires subscription. Here's the text:

A series of books for primary schoolchildren, describing Charles Darwin as a Jew with a big nose who kept the company of monkeys and other historical figures in anti-Semitic terms, has caused outrage in Turkey amid fears of rising religious intolerance.

A teachers’ union is taking legal action over the distribution of the books last week to about 1,000 schoolchildren in the Maltepe district of Istanbul. The local education authority, which approved the books and ultimately answers to the central government, has denied knowledge of their content.

But the incident has already made waves far beyond Maltepe. It follows previous attacks in Turkey on the theory of evolution; last year, an internet filter briefly restricted access to evolutionist websites.

It also comes in the wake of wide-ranging education reforms pushed through this year by the country’s Islamist-rooted government, which have increased the number of religious schools in Turkey and introduced optional lessons on the Prophet Mohammed in ordinary state schools.

Such changes are hailed by the government as increasing freedom of choice in a country that for decades excluded the religiously conservative majority. Opponents say the secular educational system is being threatened.

“The education system is becoming reactionary; imams are now teaching religion in schools,” said Mehmet Aydogan, an official in the union asking for the books to be impounded. “These books are discrediting worldwide accepted artists and scientists and forcing students to think unscientifically.”

Dayam, another idiot who thinks they understand the law.
I know enough to keep blowhards in their place. Your stuttering and mumbling tells me you know nothing of the law.

Wanna bet? Lets see who understands the law better, why don't you explain when student sponsored religious speech is permitted in schools. Then put that into context of Texas state law and the RFRA in Texas. Once you have done all of that, feel free to explain why that does not apply, in your obviously bloated opinion, in this case.

Last edited:
I guess I'll wear the name proudly, then.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

There are those that would call me names for respecting the Constitution.

I will never understand why people get so hung up on specialized cases like this. There are cases where state-sponsored religious activity is very clear, and therefore prohibited as it should be. There are cases of clear cut student-sponsored religious activity that tends to be allowed, as it should be. Then you have cases like this. It's borderline, and people can argue from their respective agenda all day long. Personally, I couldn't care less either way. There is no blatant slap in the face to free speech, the establishment clause, or the free exercise clause. Whatever happens is this case really such a freaking powder keg? I swear. Sometimes you gotta pick your battles, you know?

I will never understand why people get so hung up on specialized cases like this. There are cases where state-sponsored religious activity is very clear, and therefore prohibited as it should be. There are cases of clear cut student-sponsored religious activity that tends to be allowed, as it should be. Then you have cases like this. It's borderline, and people can argue from their respective agenda all day long. Personally, I couldn't care less either way. There is no blatant slap in the face to free speech, the establishment clause, or the free exercise clause. Whatever happens is this case really such a freaking powder keg? I swear. Sometimes you gotta pick your battles, you know?

When your rights are being erroded, you have to fight all of your battles

Judge rules for Kountze cheerleaders in Bible banner suit

AUSTIN — A judge says an East Texas school district policy barring cheerleaders from quoting biblical scripture on banners at high school football games appears to violate their free speech rights.

KFDM television in Beaumont reports that District Judge Steve Thomas issued an injunction allowing the Kountze High School cheerleaders to continue displaying such banners pending the outcome of a lawsuit about the matter. He previously granted a temporary restraining order allowing the practice to continue.

The school district ordered the cheerleaders to stop quoting Bible verses after receiving a complaint from the Freedom From Religion Foundation. The group says it received a complaint from an atheist attending a game who felt the school was promoting Christianity.

Thoughts?

it will be overturned if real judges get to it.

if they take state money they can't do that.
Piss poor argument, "if a real judge gets it". Stupid as ever. If the atheist lunatic didn't like it he should have not gone to the game, or just stop crying.

I know enough to keep blowhards in their place. Your stuttering and mumbling tells me you know nothing of the law.

Wanna bet? Lets see who understands the law better, why don't you explain when student sponsored religious speech is permitted in schools. Then put that into context of Texas state law and the RFRA in Texas. Once you have done all of that, feel free to explain why that does not apply, in your obviously bloated opinion, in this case.

It seems you already tried to ‘asplain it and stumbled over your own comments. I’m sure you don’t understand the terms you’re using as “student sponsored religious speech” is a meaningless term.

Is “student sponsored religious speech” something connected to a student holding school sanctioned prayers? Your inability to compose coherent sentences leaves you at a disadvantage. Your opinions are not bloated, just deflated.

You are the original straw girl argument, so we all will rather just move along.

The fact is that the girls are representing their state-supported, tax-supported high school football team.

Now if the girls also permitted the Moslem or Jewish or Hindu girls at schools to write holy verses from their religion on the banners, that would be cool. But since they don't, they lose their fight over this eventually.

This is not about 'religious freedom' or 'majority rule.' It is about infringement on others' rights to be left alone.

False! Sweepingly false.

freedom OF religion is default, freedom FROM religion. It’s such a simple principle, I’m surprised you or anyone else is having such difficulty with it. Well, I’ll correct that statement and advise that I suspect you’re in agreement with Christian displays of religious invocations because those appeals to your partisan religious beliefs
What the issue here is, is the Constitution precludes the government from establishing any religion by law. Now say that part over to yourself very slowly:
Remember, freedom of religion is default freedom from religion, else there is a legal precedence to force you to adhere to the "majority religion" (i.e., Christians are free from believing in competitive religions.

That is an important point because we can see the results of that precept not in force.

A series of books for primary schoolchildren, describing Charles Darwin as a Jew with a big nose who kept the company of monkeys and other historical figures in anti-Semitic terms, has caused outrage in Turkey amid fears of rising religious intolerance.

A teachers’ union is taking legal action over the distribution of the books last week to about 1,000 schoolchildren in the Maltepe district of Istanbul. The local education authority, which approved the books and ultimately answers to the central government, has denied knowledge of their content.

But the incident has already made waves far beyond Maltepe. It follows previous attacks in Turkey on the theory of evolution; last year, an internet filter briefly restricted access to evolutionist websites.

It also comes in the wake of wide-ranging education reforms pushed through this year by the country’s Islamist-rooted government, which have increased the number of religious schools in Turkey and introduced optional lessons on the Prophet Mohammed in ordinary state schools.

Such changes are hailed by the government as increasing freedom of choice in a country that for decades excluded the religiously conservative majority. Opponents say the secular educational system is being threatened.

“The education system is becoming reactionary; imams are now teaching religion in schools,” said Mehmet Aydogan, an official in the union asking for the books to be impounded. “These books are discrediting worldwide accepted artists and scientists and forcing students to think unscientifically.”

Last edited:
Hollie, you are senseless when you talk. We enjoy your babbling for grins and chuckles.

I used to think like you, then I got smart.

It seems you already tried to ‘asplain it and stumbled over your own comments. I’m sure you don’t understand the terms you’re using as “student sponsored religious speech” is a meaningless term.

Is “student sponsored religious speech” something connected to a student holding school sanctioned prayers? Your inability to compose coherent sentences leaves you at a disadvantage. Your opinions are not bloated, just deflated.

It seems that way, does it? Does that mean you can't actually defend your position?

Religious Speech Rights of Public School Students

I guess I'll wear the name proudly, then.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

There are those that would call me names for respecting the Constitution.

No, the problem is you don’t respect its case law.

In many cases, no, I don't. Roe v Wade comes to mind. Case law is often overturned. Dred Scott, comes to mind.

That's one weak ass strawman.

False! Sweepingly false.

i know...but hopefully you'll figure it out one day.

• Thanks
Reactions: mal

It seems that way, does it? Does that mean you can't actually defend your position?

Religious Speech Rights of Public School Students

Does the above mean you're grasping at straws? You should have read the link you posted. Nothing in the article indicated that the school system promoted, endorsed or funded the activities of the religious groups.

You are continuing to confuse the issue of free speech with government sanction and endorsement of religion.

Forum List

Back