Julian Assange has reached a plea deal with the U.S., allowing him to go free

Fuck him.

plead guilty to a conspiracy charge...plea deal...spending five years in a British prison

Maybe he'll die in prison.

He has already served his time. . . it reverts to "time served." It was only five years. . . in fact, with the fourteen years he did, the system owes him some time.

Julian Assange pleads guilty in court on US Pacific island

1719419659304.png

" . . . Assange was released as a result of a plea deal with the United States, the BBC reported. The British national broadcaster said:

“According to CBS, the BBC’s US partner, Assange will spend no time in US custody and will receive credit for the time spent incarcerated in the UK.
Assange will return to Australia, according to a letter from the justice department.
The deal – which will see him plead guilty to one charge – is expected to be finalised in a court in the Northern Mariana Islands on Wednesday, 26 June.”

The New York Times reported that Assange agreed to the one count of the Espionage Act — “conspiracy to disseminate national defense information” — in exchange for a five year sentence, which the U.S. agreed had already been served on remand in Belmarsh. . .. .. "

He has already served his time. . . it reverts to "time served." It was only five years. . . in fact, with the fourteen years he did, the system owes him some time.

Julian Assange pleads guilty in court on US Pacific island

View attachment 967709

" . . . Assange was released as a result of a plea deal with the United States, the BBC reported. The British national broadcaster said:

The New York Times reported that Assange agreed to the one count of the Espionage Act — “conspiracy to disseminate national defense information” — in exchange for a five year sentence, which the U.S. agreed had already been served on remand in Belmarsh. . .. .. "

The man belongs in a prison.

He is responsible for the deaths of many.

Back up, please. Quotes? Links? Sources?
No, he is quite correct. . . but see, here's the thing.

That shit was available on wikileaks now for over a decade, that horse has left the barn. Removal from the site? Is completely pointless.

1719419946067.png

No, he is quite correct. . . but see, here's the thing.

That shit was available on wikileaks now for over a decade, that horse has left the barn. Removal from the site? Is completely pointless.

View attachment 967710

I don't see it as "pointless".

I don't see it as "pointless".
Well, I can't help that you are an unAmerican piece of shit. Not my problem. :rolleyes:

REAL AMERICANS. . . actually believe and cherish the FIRST AMENDMENT.

". . . According to an account by Dow Jones news service in The Australian, Mangola asked Assange what he had done to violate the law.

“Working as a journalist, I encouraged my source to provide information that was said to be classified,” Assange replied. “I believed the First Amendment protected that activity, but I accept that it was a violation of the espionage statute.”

Assange then significantly added: “The First Amendment was in contradiction with the Espionage Act, but I accept that it would be difficult to win such a case given all these circumstances.” In other words, I broke the law but the law as written is wrong.

Assange touched on the unconstitutionality inherent in the 1917 Espionage Act in that it criminalizes possession and dissemination of defense information, which conflicts with a journalist’s First Amendment rights to obtain and publish such material.

Technically, Assange was right. His actions, as those of any journalist obtaining and publishing classified information, did violate the Espionage Act because the act contains no exception for journalists.

“Mr. Assange was not going to agree to any disposition of this case that required him to accept allegations that are simply not true,” Barry Pollack, Assange’s U.S. lawyer, told reporters outside the courthouse in Saipan. He explained:

“Mr. Assange did not plead guilty to and would not plead guilty to 17 counts of the Espionage Act, computer hacking. There was a very narrow agreed upon set of facts here and Mr. Assange acknowledges that of course he accepted documents from Chelsea Manning and published many of those documents because it was in the world’s interest that those documents be published. Unfortunately that violates the terms of the Espionage Act.

That’s what we acknowledge today. Mr. Assange also said clearly he believes there should be First Amendment protection for that conduct, but the fact of the matter is, as written, the Espionage Act does not have a defense for the First Amendment.

What he acknowledged is what he has to acknowledge which is true and nothing that he should be ashamed of: Yes he received classified information from Chelsea Manning and he published that information.”

Well, I can't help that you are an unAmerican piece of shit. Not my problem. :rolleyes:

REAL AMERICANS. . . actually believe and cherish the FIRST AMENDMENT.

". . . According to an account by Dow Jones news service in The Australian, Mangola asked Assange what he had done to violate the law.

“Working as a journalist, I encouraged my source to provide information that was said to be classified,” Assange replied. “I believed the First Amendment protected that activity, but I accept that it was a violation of the espionage statute.”

Assange then significantly added: “The First Amendment was in contradiction with the Espionage Act, but I accept that it would be difficult to win such a case given all these circumstances.” In other words, I broke the law but the law as written is wrong.

Assange touched on the unconstitutionality inherent in the 1917 Espionage Act in that it criminalizes possession and dissemination of defense information, which conflicts with a journalist’s First Amendment rights to obtain and publish such material.

Technically, Assange was right. His actions, as those of any journalist obtaining and publishing classified information, did violate the Espionage Act because the act contains no exception for journalists.

“Mr. Assange was not going to agree to any disposition of this case that required him to accept allegations that are simply not true,” Barry Pollack, Assange’s U.S. lawyer, told reporters outside the courthouse in Saipan. He explained:

“Mr. Assange did not plead guilty to and would not plead guilty to 17 counts of the Espionage Act, computer hacking. There was a very narrow agreed upon set of facts here and Mr. Assange acknowledges that of course he accepted documents from Chelsea Manning and published many of those documents because it was in the world’s interest that those documents be published. Unfortunately that violates the terms of the Espionage Act.

That’s what we acknowledge today. Mr. Assange also said clearly he believes there should be First Amendment protection for that conduct, but the fact of the matter is, as written, the Espionage Act does not have a defense for the First Amendment.

What he acknowledged is what he has to acknowledge which is true and nothing that he should be ashamed of: Yes he received classified information from Chelsea Manning and he published that information.”

No fucking way that this was intended for me.

Not according to the Judge you idiot, stop fabricating bullshit.
Actually, the judge gave Assange a pass on prison time served. He plead guilty to a crime that carries a prison sentence. Try and do your homework you silly trollboi.

5 years in a prison and what -- 7 years hiding like a rat in an embassy?

"The agreement means that for the first time in American history, gathering and publishing information the government considers secret has been successfully treated as a crime. This new precedent will send a threatening message to national security journalists, who may be chilled in how aggressively they do their jobs because they will see a greater risk of prosecution."

Stop supporting such a cretin.

"A number of people went into hiding, a number of people had to move, particularly those civilians in war zones who had told U.S. soldiers about movements of the Taliban and al-Qaida," he said. "No doubt some of those people were harmed when their identities were compromised."

This is fake news. You'll notice? Nothing specific, bupkis. It is just gaslighting and garbage.

The reason he won is court case and plea deal, is the US DoJ attorneys could NOT point ANY specific harms whatsoever.

NONE.

You really are not paying attention to this story AT ALL.

This is just intelligence state propaganda. None of this propaganda, would or could stand up in the court trial when facts were required, when they put him on trial, and this trial went on for years.

YOU LOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is fake news. You'll notice? Nothing specific, bupkis. It is just gaslighting and garbage.

The reason he won is court case and plea deal, is the US DoJ attorneys could NOT point ANY specific harms whatsoever.

NONE.

You really are not paying attention to this story AT ALL.

This is just intelligence state propaganda. None of this propaganda, would or could stand up in the court trial when facts were required, when they put him on trial, and this trial went on for years.

YOU LOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nope.

Assange should hide. I suspect he is on a few hit lists.

Nope.

Assange should hide. I suspect he is on a few hit lists.
If they could have proved any harms? If they could have named just one person that his actions had affected? They would have. But they could not, nor could you post it, because it does not exist.

They would have had him locked up. But they could not.

iu

So, after all the drama...an ending to the story. While I don't condone his actions, I firmly believe that he has suffered enough. If Manning is free...Assange should be, as well. After all, between prison for 5 years and being holed up in an embassy for 7 years, Assange has done a fair amount of time.

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange plans to plead guilty to a conspiracy charge this week as part of a plea deal with the U.S. Justice Department that will allow him to go free after spending five years in a British prison, according to court documents.

Assange was charged by criminal information — which typically signifies a plea deal — with conspiracy to obtain and disclose national defense information, the court documents say. A letter from Justice Department official Matthew McKenzie to U.S. District Judge Ramona Manglona of the U.S. District Court for the Northern Mariana Islands said that Assange would appear in court at 9 a.m. local time on Wednesday (or, 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday) to plead guilty and said that DOJ expects Assange will return to Australia, his country of citizenship, after the proceedings.
I personally wish ill on that man.

Forum List

Back