Just a clump of cells

It doesn't matter if one considers a fetus a clump of cells or a viable human infant as of yet to be birthed.

How do you rationally or ethically enforce laws the subjugate a woman's right to control her body? Abortion will happen either legally and as safely as medical practices can make it, or illegally and unsafely. Do you suggest that we strap women into beds in facilities if they maybe harbor thoughts of abortion? Put women in jail for aborting or attempting to abort? Jailing abortion doctors? It ain't gonna happen. A fertus doesn't have any legal rights and voters even in the most conservative states haven't supported measures to extend rights to the unborn.

The SCOTUS ruled on this issue 41 years ago. The fight is over. Don't like abortion? Don't get one.

Roe v. Wade, 410 U.S. 113 (1973), is a landmark decision by the United States Supreme Court on the issue of abortion. Decided simultaneously with a companion case, Doe v. Bolton, the Court ruled 7–2 that a right to privacy under the due process clause of the 14th Amendment extended to a woman's decision to have an abortion, but that this right must be balanced against the state's two legitimate interests in regulating abortions: protecting prenatal life and protecting women's health. Arguing that these state interests became stronger over the course of a pregnancy, the Court resolved this balancing test by tying state regulation of abortion to the third trimester of pregnancy.

The Court later rejected Roe 's trimester framework, while affirming Roe 's central holding that a person has a right to abortion until viability.[1] The Roedecision defined "viable" as being "potentially able to live outside the mother's womb, albeit with artificial aid", adding that viability "is usually placed at about seven months (28 weeks) but may occur earlier, even at 24 weeks."[2]

Roe v. Wade - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
That ignores the fact that Roe allows for controls to limit abortion in later stages.

Clearly it is not always the mothers choice even if the child has not been born yet. The short answer to your question about the things we can do is yes.

Abortion law is actually rather good these days - late term abortions are largely illegal (and that should be made universal IMHO) yet the woman has the option early in her term.
That's not at issue.

No one contests the authority of the state to limit access at later stages; the issue concerns prohibiting the practice altogether.
Our secular society decided if caught early enough a woman can choose to abort a pregnancy. If they can force you to have a baby how free are you? I'd hate to be forced to carry a baby and birth it if what I really wanted was an abortion.

And how many poor single women who have 5 kids and get pregnant again? You know who's glad their mom didn't take my advice? The single mom of 5 who just won the mega lotto. I'm so happy for her 5 kids.

The purpose of banning abortion isn't to save the lives of the unborn, but to discourage women from having sex.
drivel

Why would you want to force a woman to bear and raise a child she doesn't want and can't afford? That's hardly a way of ensuring the child will have a good life. And yet that's what banning abortions would do.

Countries with sex education in schools, single payer health care and mandated paid maternity leaves have much lower abortion rates than the US and yet Americans steadfastly resist such legislation as impugning their "freedoms".

These same freedom fighters are the ones who would ban a woman's right to choose. Apparently right wingers CAN suck and blow at the same time.
you are a complete snotbrain, I am very pro abortion, but your claim that banning abortions is to discourage women from having sex is just a complete load of old bollocks.

Clearly you have not read the posts of the anti-abortion faction on this board who refer to women who have abortions as selfish uncaring sluts who should have to take responsibility for their actions. And if they don't want to get pregnant they shouldn't have sex.

Having an abortion IS taking responsibility but not to anti-abortionists. That's making an innocent child pay for their promiscuity. They ignore the studies which say that their view of the women who get abortions is false and call these women sluts who need to show some self respect and stop spreading their legs. Then they talk about how much better women behaved before the sexual revolution.
Snotbrain you base your cretinous assertion on the disjointed rambling of similar idiots to you, who have an opposite stance here. Tell me it aint so.
The feminist Germaine Greer said "there is no such thing as an impotent man as long as he has a tongue in his head" is that sex snotbrain?

The so-called "right to life" crowd is not promoting quality of life. They're promoting existence.

I believe a child has more than a right to exist. I believe a child has a right to be loved, to be cared for, to be educated, and that society, as a whole, has an obligation to its children to provide the infrastructure and social constructs to help their parents achieve these objectives.

Countries with mandated parental and family leave, government funded health care, and where children must receive sex education in their schools, have a much lower rate of abortion than the US. American conservative economic policies are contributors to the high rate of abortion in the US, and yet conservatives are the people who supposedly oppose abortion. Not only are conservative policies the reason for the high rate of abortion in the US, but they have the unmitigated gall to blame liberals for high abortion rates.

I live in Canada, where abortion is not only legal and available, it's also free. And yet Canada's abortion rate is roughly half that of the US. And Canadian teenagers are also able to obtain an abortion without getting parental consent. The difference between our countries is in our social safety net which supports parents having children.

Life isn't so precious to atheists and most theists that abortion should be made illegal. Only extreme theists think abortion should be illegal.

Ask most christians if a welfare mom with 5 kids should have a 6th or snip suck.
Um... There are pro-life atheists, deists, and other non-theist groups. It's not an atheist vs religion issue. It's an issue of denying personhood to vulnerable groups so you can kill them and feel ethical about it.

Life isn't so precious to atheists and most theists that abortion should be made illegal. Only extreme theists think abortion should be illegal.

Ask most christians if a welfare mom with 5 kids should have a 6th or snip suck.
Um... There are pro-life atheists, deists, and other non-theist groups. It's not an atheist vs religion issue. It's an issue of denying personhood to vulnerable groups so you can kill them and feel ethical about it.
Human life takes time to develop. Calling a clump of cells, which we all once were, a person doesn't work. When do you become a person, and when are you no longer are, that's where the debate begins but there is a debate because it's not black and white.

To say the child isn't viable while in the womb is wrong, simply put.

Well, you got that right.

Premature Birth and Viability Survival Statistics

Strictly speaking, most doctors define the age of viability as being about 24 weeks of gestation. In many hospitals, 24 weeks is the cutoff point for when doctors will use intensive medical intervention to attempt to save the life of a baby born prematurely. A baby born at 24 weeks would generally require a lot of intervention, potentially including mechanical ventilation and other invasive treatments followed by a lengthy stay in aneonatal intensive care unit (NICU).

To say the child isn't viable while in the womb is wrong, simply put.

Well, you got that right.

Premature Birth and Viability Survival Statistics

Strictly speaking, most doctors define the age of viability as being about 24 weeks of gestation. In many hospitals, 24 weeks is the cutoff point for when doctors will use intensive medical intervention to attempt to save the life of a baby born prematurely. A baby born at 24 weeks would generally require a lot of intervention, potentially including mechanical ventilation and other invasive treatments followed by a lengthy stay in aneonatal intensive care unit (NICU).
And they are damaged goods for life I'm sorry to say. Just because man can save what isn't ready for life doesn't mean that he should.

It doesn't matter if one considers a fetus a clump of cells or a viable human infant as of yet to be birthed.

How do you rationally or ethically enforce laws the subjugate a woman's right to control her body? Abortion will happen either legally and as safely as medical practices can make it, or illegally and unsafely. Do you suggest that we strap women into beds in facilities if they maybe harbor thoughts of abortion? Put women in jail for aborting or attempting to abort? Jailing abortion doctors? It ain't gonna happen. A fertus doesn't have any legal rights and voters even in the most conservative states haven't supported measures to extend rights to the unborn.

The SCOTUS ruled on this issue 41 years ago. The fight is over. Don't like abortion? Don't get one.

Roe v. Wade, 410 U.S. 113 (1973), is a landmark decision by the United States Supreme Court on the issue of abortion. Decided simultaneously with a companion case, Doe v. Bolton, the Court ruled 7–2 that a right to privacy under the due process clause of the 14th Amendment extended to a woman's decision to have an abortion, but that this right must be balanced against the state's two legitimate interests in regulating abortions: protecting prenatal life and protecting women's health. Arguing that these state interests became stronger over the course of a pregnancy, the Court resolved this balancing test by tying state regulation of abortion to the third trimester of pregnancy.

The Court later rejected Roe 's trimester framework, while affirming Roe 's central holding that a person has a right to abortion until viability.[1] The Roedecision defined "viable" as being "potentially able to live outside the mother's womb, albeit with artificial aid", adding that viability "is usually placed at about seven months (28 weeks) but may occur earlier, even at 24 weeks."[2]

That ignores the fact that Roe allows for controls to limit abortion in later stages.

Clearly it is not always the mothers choice even if the child has not been born yet. The short answer to your question about the things we can do is yes.

Abortion law is actually rather good these days - late term abortions are largely illegal (and that should be made universal IMHO) yet the woman has the option early in her term.
That's not at issue.

No one contests the authority of the state to limit access at later stages; the issue concerns prohibiting the practice altogether.
Our secular society decided if caught early enough a woman can choose to abort a pregnancy. If they can force you to have a baby how free are you? I'd hate to be forced to carry a baby and birth it if what I really wanted was an abortion.

And how many poor single women who have 5 kids and get pregnant again? You know who's glad their mom didn't take my advice? The single mom of 5 who just won the mega lotto. I'm so happy for her 5 kids.
They didn't force you to open your legs when they should have remained closed. You had a choice to make...and you fucked it up.

Sent via iPhone 6...between reps...

I'm going to be flatly blunt. The pro-Abortion crowd is dead wrong about human biology. A human is a human inside the womb and out. This video is proof of such. This is the unborn child of a French couple who watch in amazement at the vigorous movement of the baby in the womb. To say the child isn't viable while in the womb is wrong, simply put. To say the child is not a real person until after birth is also wrong, this one seems real enough to me.

^^^ that^^^

but don't you love how the small gubment types just love inserting themselves into everyone else's business?

That's not at issue.

They didn't force you to open your legs when they should have remained closed. You had a choice to make...and you fucked it up.
Yet another one who thinks we only have abortion because women are sluts.

And they are damaged goods for life I'm sorry to say.

Yes, 26 week old fetuses not only have a low survival rate but have a high likelihood of developing other medical problems. The longer they stay in the womb however.....

That's not at issue.

How funny..you're the only one calling them sluts. Repteatedly.

Look at all the psycho prog dudes line up to tell us all the reasons babies should be killed..while referring to women who become pregnant *sluts*....

Obviously, abortion is about helping women.

I'm going to be flatly blunt. The pro-Abortion crowd is dead wrong about human biology. A human is a human inside the womb and out. This video is proof of such. This is the unborn child of a French couple who watch in amazement at the vigorous movement of the baby in the womb. To say the child isn't viable while in the womb is wrong, simply put. To say the child is not a real person until after birth is also wrong, this one seems real enough to me.

It's unfortunate that so many in the pro-choice crowd choose to be intellectually dishonest on this topic, trying to equate a non-viable fetus to the level a toaster oven or a small brick in order to reduce it in significance.

Some folks just lie as a first option, not sure why.

And I'm pro choice.

Look at all the psycho prog dudes line up to tell us all the reasons babies should be killed..while referring to women who become pregnant *sluts*....

Obviously, abortion is about helping women.

They want abortion to avoid being responsible

That's not at issue.

How funny..you're the only one calling them sluts. Repteatedly.
Nope, that is what your side does, time and time again.

Forum List

Back