Just a question about Catholics

"Thou shalt have no other gods before me".

Making the golden calf while the Moses was on the mountain, statues of gods and whatnot....POPES. Cuz the pope IS worshipped like a god, right? So..isn't that worshipping something other than God Himself?

Not trying to be rude..just wondering how this....fawning...over the Pope is "different". Same as those that fall over themselves with other preachers and reverends, etc. Same thing, isn't it? Worship of some guy that claims to speak for God.

Nope, you're wrong, he is not worshiped as God or even like a God. /Thread
Buh bye!

Catholicism is a unique faith...they pray to Mary and Saints - dead people ordained by a man. They treat the Pope like a deity when he is simply a figurehead instilled to maintain the pomp and circumstance created to satisfy man.

We pray to saints for their aid in petitioning God for our prayers. The pope is not a deity.

Think of Saints as expediters.

So whats with the groveling and bowing to statues

pope_worship.jpg

mary-statue-worship.jpg

mary_worship-phoenix-2.jpg

Since before the Last Supper, disciples of Christ have taken seriously his words that he is present and able to provide us spiritual nourishment with his body and blood in the form of bread and wine. Catholics accept the mystery of this, that Christ is truly present, body, blood, soul, and divinity. Just as a mother physically nourishes her child with her living body without any decimation of self, Christ nourishes us without any decimation of his body. We honor, thank, and glorify Christ for the gift and nourishment he provides us. Christ spoke the words of everlasting life. Many will not walk away from him, no matter how hard the words.

No, according to the gospel of John Jesus made it clear that his claim that one must eat his flesh and drink his blood to receive eternal life, the saying that many could not stomach, was a metaphor for the words that he spoke, his teaching about the figurative nature and hidden subjects of the divine commands that must be understood before it is even possible to receive the promise of eternal life fulfilled in this world. " The spirit alone gives life; the flesh is of no avail. The words that I have spoken to you are both spirit and life." John 6:63

when Jesus asked his closest disciples if they were going to leave him too, after he explained himself, Simon Peter replied, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You words are words of eternal life. We have faith and know that you are the Holy One of God." John 6:68.

Words and teaching from above, like manna from heaven, the food of angels, was already an established metaphor in Judaism, that only studied Jews would have understood.

"The days are coming," declares the Sovereign LORD, "when I will send a famine through the land-- not a famine of food or a thirst for water, but a famine of hearing the words of the LORD. Amos 8:11

"Come! Every one who thirsts, come to the waters; And you who have no money come, buy and eat. Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost. "Why do you spend money for what is not bread, And your wages for what does not satisfy? Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good, And delight yourself in abundance. "Incline your ear and come to Me. Listen, that you may live; And I will make an everlasting covenant with you, According to the faithful mercies shown to David. Isaiah 55:2-…

What the disciples confirmed to believe was that the words that Jesus spoke that teach the way to understand and apply the law that leads to eternal life is what gives life. They never claimed to believe anything about bread and wine being what he meant by flesh and blood.

In fact it is no small point that during the last supper according to the gospel of John, no one was given bread or wine except Judas, as way for Jesus to covertly identify his betrayer to the others, and "as soon as Judas received the bread, Satan entered him." John 13:27

If you have ears to hear, then hear.
must eat his flesh and drink his blood

cannibalism

So whats with the groveling and bowing to statues?

Sometimes I stand outside in prayer. If people saw this, how many would conclude I was worshiping stars, flowers, and fountain?

I have family pictures scattered throughout the house. I admit that I pray inside as well, so how many would argue I am worshiping images of my family?

What about the times I meditate quietly in candlelight? Am I adoring the candle? When people kneel beside their bed for evening prayers, are they seen as worshiping the bed?

If none of the above has people jumping to any conclusion other than a person praying, then why would prayer taking place around memorabilia and art work cause people to jump to any conclusion other than, "People at prayer."

Making the golden calf while the Moses was on the mountain, statues of gods and whatnot....POPES. Cuz the pope IS worshipped like a god, right? So..isn't that worshipping something other than God Himself?

Not trying to be rude..just wondering how this....fawning...over the Pope is "different". Same as those that fall over themselves with other preachers and reverends, etc. Same thing, isn't it? Worship of some guy that claims to speak for God.

Nope, you're wrong, he is not worshiped as God or even like a God. /Thread
Buh bye!
What a wuss you are, bigot.

So whats with the groveling and bowing to statues?

Sometimes I stand outside in prayer. If people saw this, how many would conclude I was worshiping stars, flowers, and fountain?

I have family pictures scattered throughout the house. I admit that I pray inside as well, so how many would argue I am worshiping images of my family?

What about the times I meditate quietly in candlelight? Am I adoring the candle? When people kneel beside their bed for evening prayers, are they seen as worshiping the bed?

If none of the above has people jumping to any conclusion other than a person praying, then why would prayer taking place around memorabilia and art work cause people to jump to any conclusion other than, "People at prayer."
Good point. Never really thought of it that way before. Thanks for opening a different window for me to muse on the views I never considered before.

What is Jesus but a god before GOD. If you claim that Jesus is God, then you don't believe Hebrew scripture.

What is Jesus but a god before GOD. If you claim that Jesus is God, then you don't believe Hebrew scripture.
In the beginning was the Word...

Catholicism is a unique faith...they pray to Mary and Saints - dead people ordained by a man. They treat the Pope like a deity when he is simply a figurehead instilled to maintain the pomp and circumstance created to satisfy man.

We pray to saints for their aid in petitioning God for our prayers. The pope is not a deity.

pope_worship.jpg

mary-statue-worship.jpg

It's praying to, not worshiping. and Saints are not "graven images"

pope_worship.jpg

mary-statue-worship.jpg

you don't pray to saints.

The Bible nowhere instructs believers in Christ to pray to anyone other than God. The Bible nowhere encourages, or even mentions, believers asking individuals in heaven for their prayers. Why, then, do many Catholics pray to Mary and/or the saints, or request their prayers? Catholics view Mary and the saints as "intercessors" before God. They believe that a saint, who is glorified in Heaven, has more "direct access" to God than we do. Therefore, if a saint delivers a prayer to God, it is more effective than us praying to God directly. This concept is blatantly unbiblical. Hebrews 4:16 tells us that we, believers here on earth, can "approach the throne of grace with confidence."

First Timothy 2:5 declares, "For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus." There is no one else that can mediate with God for us. If Jesus is the ONLY mediator, that indicates Mary and the saints cannot be mediators. They cannot mediate our prayer requests to God. Further, the Bible tells us that Jesus Christ Himself is interceding for us before the Father: "Therefore He is able to save completely those who come to God through Him, because He always lives to intercede for them" (Hebrews 7:25). With Jesus Himself interceding for us, why would we need Mary or the saints to intercede for us? Whom would God listen to more closely than His Son? Romans 8:26-27 describes the Holy Spirit interceding for us. With the 2nd and 3rd members of the Trinity already interceding for us before the Father in heaven, what possible need could there be to have Mary or the saints interceding for us?

Read more: Is prayer to saints Mary biblical

pope_worship.jpg

mary-statue-worship.jpg

Catholics do. They request intercession on their behalf. Its like using a permit expediter, with God being the Department of Buildings.

pope_worship.jpg

mary-statue-worship.jpg

Catholics do. They request intercession on their behalf. Its like using a permit expediter, with God being the Department of Buildings.

not biblical.

pope_worship.jpg

mary-statue-worship.jpg

not biblical.

Catholics are not fundamentalists, with their strict adherence to the bible. Considering the Church and the NT came into being around the same time, it is not surprising they do not use the Bible as the sole source of God's word.

pope_worship.jpg

mary-statue-worship.jpg

not biblical.

Catholics are not fundamentalists, with their strict adherence to the bible. Considering the Church and the NT came into being around the same time, it is not surprising they do not use the Bible as the sole source of God's word.

when you find another book penned by the Holy Spirit, let me know.

not biblical.

Penned through the intercession of the writers, who were mortals.

Find me a reference in the Bible that says others were not also inspired by the Holy Spirit.

not biblical.

Find me a reference in the Bible that says others were not also inspired by the Holy Spirit.

rev 22:19- Nothing May Be Added
18I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book; 19and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book. 20He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming quickly." Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.…

not biblical.

rev 22:19- Nothing May Be Added
18I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book; 19and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book. 20He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming quickly." Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.…

So basically Revelations cannot be added to. That makes sense. John was referring to his specific prophecies, not the Bible as a whole.

Again, Holy Spirit through mortal vessels.

Forum List

Back