Just a question about Catholics

not biblical.

Catholics are not fundamentalists, with their strict adherence to the bible. Considering the Church and the NT came into being around the same time, it is not surprising they do not use the Bible as the sole source of God's word.

when you find another book penned by the Holy Spirit, let me know.

Penned through the intercession of the writers, who were mortals.

Find me a reference in the Bible that says others were not also inspired by the Holy Spirit.

rev 22:19- Nothing May Be Added
18I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book; 19and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book. 20He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming quickly." Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.…

So basically Revelations cannot be added to. That makes sense. John was referring to his specific prophecies, not the Bible as a whole.

Again, Holy Spirit through mortal vessels.

no- the entire bible. Nothing can be added.

Nothing can be added, nothing subtracted. Deuteronomy and Proverbs tell us so. Kind of gets one to wondering why the entire New Testament, let alone Revelation, were attached to these books, doesn't it? :wink:

Listen to what Martybegan said. When John wrote, "Let nothing be added and nothing subtracted," it was a common plea at the time, most likely directed at those copying the manuscript to send to other places. In other words, "Please don't edit or summarize this!"

The great trouble here is in telling a Catholic what Catholics believe--and getting it all wrong. Until there is true understanding of what Catholics actually believe (instead of what individuals are imagining Catholics could be believing) we are not going to be able to find a common ground for meaningful discussion.

Shall we try you telling me about your beliefs about God and your relationship with Him? I think I might prefer discussing that instead of talking about misinterpretations of Catholic practices and beliefs.

As you said, what Catholics believe is all over the map and pointless as far as I'm concerned since Church teaching is what I am talking about. Am I wrong that the Church teaches that the eucharist, made by human hands, becomes the body of Christ IN ACTUALITY, the very flesh of God and source of eternal life during mass and that Catholics must then worship and eat it on their knees for spiritual life?

If a Catholic privately believes that mass is just some sort of memorial service or a symbolic communion with God, they are getting their own Church teaching wrong.

I think that in itself is grounds for a meaningful discussion.

For you its a chance to clarify exactly what it is that Catholics are supposed to believe and practice according to church teachings and not their own closet protestant views on mass.

For me, you trying to justify idolatry is bound to be good for a chuckle....

Last edited:
As you said, what Catholics believe is all over the map and pointless as far as I'm concerned since Church teaching is what I am talking about. Am I wrong that the Church teaches that the eucharist, made by human hands, becomes the body of Christ IN ACTUALITY, the very flesh of God and source of eternal life during mass and that Catholics must then worship and eat it on their knees for spiritual life?

Once again: Catholics profess the same beliefs when it comes to major doctrines. In other things, we are all over the map. For example, other than professing double election, Catholics have varying beliefs about what/who constitutes the Elect. Catholics have varying opinions on evolution. Keeping within the parameters of what I write helps with correctly understanding what I am saying.

If a Catholic privately believes that mass is just some sort of memorial service or a symbolic communion with God, they are getting their own Church teaching wrong.

I think that in itself is grounds for a meaningful discussion.

Which Catholics privately believe this? What have they said? I've known as a lot of Catholics, taught a lot of Catholic teens, and I've never heard anyone profess this belief. If you can give more detail about what Catholics have told you, I may be able to better respond. As it is, you are correct: They are not in accord with Church teaching. Thus far, I don't see this as making for a meaningful discussion. What I see is:

You: I know Catholics who believe the Mass is just a memorial service.

Me: I know that cats can have kittens in an oven, but that doesn't make them biscuits.

End of meaningful discussion. :smile:

For you its a chance to proclaim Church teaching and clarify what exactly it is that Catholics openly profess to believe and practice according to church teachings and not their own closet protestant views on mass.

I've already done this in previous posts with you. I'm ready to move on, but it you wish to take another walk around the same block, why not go back and read what I've already posted?

Catholics are not fundamentalists, with their strict adherence to the bible. Considering the Church and the NT came into being around the same time, it is not surprising they do not use the Bible as the sole source of God's word.

when you find another book penned by the Holy Spirit, let me know.

Penned through the intercession of the writers, who were mortals.

Find me a reference in the Bible that says others were not also inspired by the Holy Spirit.

rev 22:19- Nothing May Be Added
18I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book; 19and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book. 20He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming quickly." Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.…

So basically Revelations cannot be added to. That makes sense. John was referring to his specific prophecies, not the Bible as a whole.

Again, Holy Spirit through mortal vessels.

Wrong. He was clearly talking about Revelations. You can cite all the Catholic bashing sites you want to but you will still be wrong.

Catholicism is a unique faith...they pray to Mary and Saints - dead people ordained by a man. They treat the Pope like a deity when he is simply a figurehead instilled to maintain the pomp and circumstance created to satisfy man.

I don't think so. Jesus named Peter the first pope, and he qualified his selection by saying:

"Truly I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven.

If you are a Catholic, the pope has some power here on earth.

Mark

"Thou shalt have no other gods before me".

Making the golden calf while the Moses was on the mountain, statues of gods and whatnot....POPES. Cuz the pope IS worshipped like a god, right? So..isn't that worshipping something other than God Himself?

Not trying to be rude..just wondering how this....fawning...over the Pope is "different". Same as those that fall over themselves with other preachers and reverends, etc. Same thing, isn't it? Worship of some guy that claims to speak for God.

Nope, you're wrong, he is not worshiped as God or even like a God. /Thread
Buh bye!

You based your OP on a false premise, and have yet to show otherwise. lol

The title says they have questions yet the content is opinion. I am from deep south and have heard how terrible Catholics are since birth. Married one 40 years ago. Finest functional family you would ever meet.

Whether Catholics are fine people or not has nothing whatever to do with whether their religious beliefs and practices are true or false. I have been intimately acquainted with Catholics all of my life and still am and agree with you that whatever terrible things that you heard in the south about Catholics are not true. I have met Muslims who have the finest functional families one could ever hope to meet too which has nothing whatever to do with whether Mohammed was an insane child rapist or a prophet of God. The way I see it, whether Catholic or Muslim, if they become functional and loving people it is in spite of their religious indoctrination, not because of it.

and if anything, because these are inherently good people, one would hope that a loved one would care if they were being taken advantage of and deprived of attaining their fullest potential in life by actors and lying frauds who are more than happy to fuck up their minds on a daily basis for a nominal service charge.
No one but God can make any definitive claims if any "religious beliefs and practices are true or false".

Catholic bashing has always been the rage and fad in the deep south. Similar to the Sunni vs. Shia squabbles minus the slaughter. Incredible the very people in predominantly Baptist churches who claim they are Christian that go out of their way to judge and slander another Christian denomination. We have Baptist churches within 2 miles of my house that claim Catholics are not even Christians. Junior Al Qaeda.

Catholic bashing has always been the rage and fad in the deep south. Similar to the Sunni vs. Shia squabbles minus the slaughter. Incredible the very people in predominantly Baptist churches who claim they are Christian that go out of their way to judge and slander another Christian denomination. We have Baptist churches within 2 miles of my house that claim Catholics are not even Christians. Junior Al Qaeda.

thats because they are not.

Which Catholics privately believe this? What have they said? I've known as a lot of Catholics, taught a lot of Catholic teens, and I've never heard anyone profess this belief. If you can give more detail about what Catholics have told you, I may be able to better respond. As it is, you are correct: They are not in accord with Church teaching. Thus far, I don't see this as making for a meaningful discussion.

That's OK with me if you do not see any basis for a meaningful discussion. I'm really not surprised. You see nothing wrong with worshiping and eating something that has no life for spiritual life.

Since you have put yourself in the position of teaching people to do do the exact opposite of what scripture teaches is the way to eternal life, If scripture is true, you are guilty of mortal sin, are under the condemnation of God and aren't capable of seeing much if anything, and anyone who had any doubts about the garbage you are peddling certainly would not have expressed it to you.

So, if you are ready to move on, by all means, move on. In the process of our meaningless discussion you have been bound hand and foot and all of your precious possessions have already been carried off to a place where you will never find them eating fruit that remains out of your reach in a place above your grasp that you can never enter in your current degenerate state of mind.

Last edited:
No one but God can make any definitive claims if any "religious beliefs and practices are true or false".

Nonsense. Anyone with a functioning brain can examine and determine definitively whether any professed religious belief or practice is either true or false, good or evil.

Let's be real.

If you married into a fine functional Catholic family for 40 years and never got down on your knees to worship and eat God in the flesh, I suppose that you already had definitively decided long ago that professed Catholic beliefs and practices were not true.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back