Justice faults Democrats for his switch to Republican Party

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — Gov. Jim Justice said Friday that he switched political parties because the Democrats "walked away" from him.

He said West Virginia House Democrats failed to support a tax overhaul he says would have increased the budget and helped veterans, poorer earners, seniors, teachers, miners and people struggling with addiction.

Justice announced his switch from Democrat to the GOP alongside Republican President Donald Trump at a rally Thursday evening in Huntington. Justice said Friday he believes the change also will help him at the White House, where he recently presented proposals for an environmental subsidy for West Virginia's hardwood forests and a homeland security incentive for Eastern coal mines.

He rejected criticism from Democratic Party officials that he betrayed the party. Democrats once dominated state politics but have lost control of both houses of the Legislature, all three congressional seats and most other statewide elected offices in the past few years.

Justice said it was the 36-member House of Delegates Democratic Caucus whose members turned their backs on him and the people they should have helped.

"I ran as a Democrat and I was real proud of it. And I came here to help. I came here to get something done," Justice told reporters. "And when it came right to crunch time, the nitty gritty, it was real simple. The Democrats walked away from me."

Justice said they had enough votes in the Senate and enough Republican votes in the House to pass the budget and tax overhaul but needed the Democrats' support. The Democrats didn't like it because it was a Republican idea, he said.

"I can't move this state forward continuing to run the same play," Justice said.
Justice faults Democrats for his switch to Republican Party

Oh, for Pete's Sake, people. Really?

Forum List

Back