Justice? Then execute ALL murderers

When did an "eye for an eye" become justice? If I'm murdered, and then you execute my murderer, how does that help me or my family?

Short answer is it doesn't. That's life, or death. Whether it's by illness, injury or old age, death is final. The one thing that the death penalty does is make sure the murderer never returns to kill again.

When did an "eye for an eye" become justice? If I'm murdered, and then you execute my murderer, how does that help me or my family?

It may help them find closure.

The important benefit, though, is not to you or family. Only to those, and the families of those, said murder is no longer around to add to his/her/its score.

But that wouldn't be important from the liberal perspective.

Then it's not justice at all. Justice is compensation to the victim. Execution is just about revenge, and not even necessarily against the right person. When the state kills so much as one innocent person it loses any claim to the moral high ground in the case of execution, and itself becomes a murderer. Do you advocate that any officials involved in the execution of an innocent person themselves be put to death for their crime?

Short answer is it doesn't. That's life, or death. Whether it's by illness, injury or old age, death is final. The one thing that the death penalty does is make sure the murderer never returns to kill again.

So does life in prison where there's at least the possibility that a person wrongfully convicted has a chance to get out and make a life.

It may not help you or your family, but it certainly helps future victims of his crimes. For example, there was a guy named Kenneth McDuff in Texas who was sentenced to death back in the 60's and then the death penalty was abolished. His sentence was changed to life in prison but of course they never actually spend their lived in prison, so he was released. He then killed 6 girls in Texas and probably one girl up here.

So, that's 7 people who'd be alive today if McDuff had been executed in the 60's like he was supposed to be.

It may not help you or your family, but it certainly helps future victims of his crimes. For example, there was a guy named Kenneth McDuff in Texas who was sentenced to death back in the 60's and then the death penalty was abolished. His sentence was changed to life in prison but of course they never actually spend their lived in prison, so he was released. He then killed 6 girls in Texas and probably one girl up here.

So, that's 7 people who'd be alive today if McDuff had been executed in the 60's like he was supposed to be.

And if they'd just killed him as a baby then even less people would have died.

True. But, who knew then what a pile of evil crap he'd turn out to be?

So in some cases not knowing the future means we ought not to execute some people, but in other cases it means we should? Seems too flexible to me. I would simply say that the only justifiable use of violence is defensive violence, and that would mean that you only use violence to defend against an immediate threat. An inmate in prison is not an immediate threat, whatever they might do if they found themselves out of prison.

So in some cases not knowing the future means we ought not to execute some people, but in other cases it means we should? Seems too flexible to me. I would simply say that the only justifiable use of violence is defensive violence, and that would mean that you only use violence to defend against an immediate threat. An inmate in prison is not an immediate threat, whatever they might do if they found themselves out of prison.

No, in all cases, if we hold people fully accountable for what they do, our society will be better.

No, in all cases, if we hold people fully accountable for what they do, our society will be better.

And how do we hold people fully accountable? Is it executing them if they kill people, even given the terrible track record of the "justice" system? And again, do we start executing judges and lawyers and juries who wrongly convict somebody and have them executed? Or perhaps killing their family members would be holding them more accountable. Kind of a "if you kill my child then I kill yours" type of deal.

The truth is that there is no possible way to hold people fully accountable for what they do. The best that can be done, meaning the closest to justice that we can get to, is compensation. Execution is just misguided revenge masquerading as justice. It does nothing for the actual victims, and kills far too many innocent people.

Forum List

Back