Karl Popper`s 7 Points Of Democracy

The Germans are coming

Sep 30, 2014
Currently in Northern Austria
I read through Karl Poppers "The Open Society and it`s Enemies" again. One of the most important works of 20th century philosophy. If Marx is the philosopher of communism, Popper is the philosopher of democracy. In the first book he takes on Plato and confronts the totalitarianism of his theories. In the second book he takes on Hegel and Marx. He shows how Hegels notion of "human destiny" and "a goal for humanity to reach" is inherently totalitarian and ignorant of an individuals liberties and in his opinion responsible for the worst catastrophies in human history. He also sees Marx as nothing else as a totalitarian flase prophet who insists on owning a truth whilest not opening up to critizism and relying on pathetic historicism.
His main arguments are that humanity has no destiny and therefor the notion of utopia is inherently flawed and that philosophers always asked "who should rule" whilest the most important question should be "how can we limit the rulers power".
Popper was a great friend of other philosophical greats like Bertand Russel and Friedrich von Hayek. His advice was also sought by Helmut Schmidt, Helmudt Kohl, Thatcher and others.

In the second book, after his critizism of Marx`s economic historicism he list what he sees as the 7 most important rules for democracy:

1: Democracy cannot be fully characterized as the rule of the majority, although the institution of general elections is most important. For a majority might rule in a tyrannical way. In a democracy the powers of the rulers must be limited; and the criterion of a democracy is this: In a democracy, the rulers - that is to say, the government - can be dismessed by the ruled without bloodshed. Thus if the men in power do not safeguard those institutions which secure to the minority the possibility of working for a peaceful change, then their rule is a tyranny.

2: We need only distinguish between two forms of government , such as possess the institutions of this kind, and all others. hence democracies and tyrannies.

3: A consistent democratic constitution should exclude only one type of change in the legal system, namely a change which would endanger it`s democratic character.

4: In a democracy, the full protection of minorities should not extend to those who violate the law, and especialy not to those who incite others to the violent overoverthrow of the democracy.

5: A policy of framing institutions to safeguard democracy must always proceed on the assumption that there may be anti-democratic tendencies latent among the ruled as well as the rulers.

6: If democracy is destroyed, all rights are destroyed. Even if certain economic advanteges enjoyed by the ruled should persist, they would persist only on sufferance.

7: Democracy provides an invaluable battle ground for any reasonable reform, since it permits reform without violence. But if the preservation of democracy is not made the first consideration in any particular battle fought out on this battle ground, then the latent anti democratic tendencies which are always present may bring about a breakdown of democracy. If an understanding of these principles is not yet developed, it`s development must be fought for. The opposite policy might prove fatal; it may bring about the loss of the most important battle, the battle for democracy itself.

Points number 2 and 4 have been discussed by me recently. Once on this forum Because I for one justify the inprisonment, trial and sentencing of political radicals in my country with point number 4. I also clash with people arguing that Iran, Quatar, Russia and other countries are so called "hybrid democracis". because I truely believe that there are only two forms of government, democracy and tyranny, and to water down what makes a democracy is to simply betray what a democracy is and to betray it and it`s prnciples.

Your thoughts?

We live in a Republic which purpose was to safe guard the problems of a Pure Democracy.

Pure Democracy's generally install tyranny as a small majority can impose their beliefs on 49% of the population that doesn't agree.

We are now experiencing the problems with a Republic, which is allowing a small group of people wield power for far too long and are now bought and paid for to the highest bidder...........and no longer serve the republic but themselves...........

Shades of Ancient Greece.

4: In a democracy, the full protection of minorities should not extend to those who violate the law, and especialy not to those who incite others to the violent overoverthrow of the democracy.

This is precisely why I oppose multiculturalism. It undermines true democracy when parallel systems are in place that act to create differing loyalties to such a degree that such incitement is a product of identity. I would extend such a theme to include incitements that do not advocate imminent violence, but are so seditious in nature as to pose a threat to the nature of the greater society.

I would say that above all else, any understanding of democracy should be predicated upon an understanding that it is the liberalization of a society that leads to democracy, and not the other way around. One of the problems in the west's approach to the Arab spring, for instance, has been in the failure to recognize this concept, as our attempts to introduce western concepts to an inbred people whose attitudes are stuck in the 7th century did not produce a functioning democracy despite our hubris in thinking it could. All it produced was chaos as the people, themselves, were not ready for democracy because they were too illiberal to begin with.

Last edited:
Democracy is not a system of government so much as a quality that government must respect to remain free. Detractors (we're a republic not a democracy) tend to have no faith in the rabble to know what is good for them and therefore have no faith in democracy. These detractors also tend to respect authoritarianism as long as they feel that they might personally benefit and are not among the class that needs to be treated like children. Democracy is a philosophy that runs counter to how governments have operated throughout human history. Most have been lousy monarchies and the deep primordial need for a tough decisive leader not burdened by committees, parliaments and senates is still present in our race and threatens to rear it's ugly head when people are scared rather than courageous.

Democracy is not a system of government so much as a quality that government must respect to remain free. Detractors (we're a republic not a democracy) tend to have no faith in the rabble to know what is good for them and therefore have no faith in democracy. These detractors also tend to respect authoritarianism as long as they feel that they might personally benefit and are not among the class that needs to be treated like children. Democracy is a philosophy that runs counter to how governments have operated throughout human history. Most have been lousy monarchies and the deep primordial need for a tough decisive leader not burdened by committees, parliaments and senates is still present in our race and threatens to rear it's ugly head when people are scared rather than courageous.

Emotional, but pretty apt description.

Our form of Democracy is definitely a hybrid - not Democracy pure, but not a totalitarian system. Indirect Democracy that yields to governance under a Republic. Or, you could say, a Republic based on the principles of indirect Democracy.

It is my observation that Democracies work well when the majority vs. minority is very lopsided (see: Eisenhower, Reagan, Clinton 1996), but in a very polarized environment, Democracies sometimes struggle.

Just look at the upcoming epic struggle for the GOP to get to a BARE MAJORITY in the Senate, and the amount of $$$ that is flowing into that specific effort.

Pooper's own descriptive creates the sense of a utopian belief - that rulers can be limited. That democracy can work by this measure. Whether direct or indirect.

The problem as I observe it is with the idea of rulers in the first place. It goes counter to Popper's insertion regarding human motives and/or destiny.

It's also strange to say that there are two forms of governance with which to be concerned. It is a grave mistake to believe that democracies, even ones like the USA, can not be tyrannical in nature. In many instances, tyranny can be within, but not the most notable trait of a democratic governance.

Our form of Democracy is definitely a hybrid - not Democracy pure, but not a totalitarian system. Indirect Democracy that yields to governance under a Republic. Or, you could say, a Republic based on the principles of indirect Democracy.

It is my observation that Democracies work well when the majority vs. minority is very lopsided (see: Eisenhower, Reagan, Clinton 1996), but in a very polarized environment, Democracies sometimes struggle.

Just look at the upcoming epic struggle for the GOP to get to a BARE MAJORITY in the Senate, and the amount of $$$ that is flowing into that specific effort.
Democracy is emotional but that, in my opinion, is not a mark against it. If there is no room in government for our collective hearts along with our minds then it ignores what really matters to us as a race.

Democracy is emotional but that, in my opinion, is not a mark against it. If there is no room in government for our collective hearts along with our minds then it ignores what really matters to us as a race.

I never said that "emotional" was a bad thing, now did I....

I never said that "emotional" was a bad thing, now did I....
You didn't but many do see it as a terrible thing for government to reflect what I would call our better natures of empathy or concern for the downtrodden or environment while apparently wanting it to reflect our anger or thirst for vengeance. I guess it all depends on what emotions you are predominately ruled by.

Forum List

Back