Kent State wrestler suspended for anti-gay tweets about Michael Sam

Even college students are entitled to due process before suspension. I went to law school with a woman who was caught red handed cheating. She was suspended immediately without a hearing. Because of that, she got back in, graduated, passed the bar, and is now practicing. This student should not have expressed remorse. He should have contacted an attorney.

Sam Wheeler, Kent State Wrestler, Suspended For Anti-Gay Tweets About Michael Sam

A wrestler you've never heard of in a school you don't care about called a 3rd-round draft pick a fag. Are we up to speed?

“We are aware of the insensitive tweets by one of our student athletes," Nielsen stated. "On behalf of Kent State University, we consider these comments to be ignorant and not indicative of the beliefs held by our university community as a whole. This is an educational opportunity for all of our student-athletes.”

This...actually doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Wheeler is a wrestler, not a school official. And while you might find his comments ignorant, um...this might sound kind of petty, but who asked you? You probably didn't even know who the kid was until it was brought to your attention (which is probably why he was hastily suspended), and he was writing on his Twitter account.

"As an alum of Kent State University and as Sam’s head coach, I was surprised and offended by what I read on Twitter,” said Andrassy. “I have spoken to Sam personally, and while he is remorseful, he will be suspended indefinitely while we determine the best course of action moving forward.”

You mean until it blows over and your boss can stop pretending he gives a shit? If you're that surprised that a young guy would dare use words like "fag" and "queer", just kick him off the team. Don't do this manipulative shit where he gives some prepared statement (that's ironically more public than his initial comments) about having learned from his mistakes that hate speech is wrong and that we should be tolerant. We all know he's just doing it because you've told him he has to in order to save his ass.

Let me be clear and say I don't support using that kind of speech. I mean, I can't say I was offended by his Tweets because it just looked like a young guy talking shit and not a full-grown-man peddling hate, but you know, I guess it takes me a minute to get an outrage boner. And, we live in a society in which "coming out" makes you an instant celebrity and have people clamoring to hail you as The Next Big Thing, and Michael Sam is no different. So, there is apart of me that thinks that when you go public, expect a variation of reactions. He wouldn't have this much attention if he didn't admit to being gay, especially not from the LGBT community writ-large and the mainstream media who mostly don't care about football or even know how the draft works, so if a few douchebags you'll never meet don't like it, who cares?

That being said, wrong is wrong. It's a good thing we're not as tolerant of intolerance as we used to be. So it's good on the school for caring that one of their athletes is boneheaded enough to say that kind of shit in public.

The issue I have is that we're becoming a nation of busybodies. The only people truly offended by anything this dude said on Twitter were following him on Twitter. Just call the guy a dick and unsubscribe to him! I'm tired of all this fake outrage. People trolling the Internet looking for something to be offended by, finding it, and then saying they're offended. And then a major news outlet runs the story and apparently there's "public outrage" at something most people wouldn't give two shits about on their own. It's just gossipy and overly hysterical and it really makes it seem like "gay tolerance" is more like "scare people into silence". But changing people's minds and shutting people up aren't the same thing.

Wrestling has to be the gayest sport out there. Does his weenie grown when he grabs onto the guy under him?

I was thinking the same thing.

Just another sad little homophobe scared to death of his own sexuality.

Right, trannysteve?

Just where do you get the impression that liberals hate christianity? Are you saying only conservatives attend church services?

Gee, I don't know, maybe because 99% of the ridicule comes from you? :eusa_whistle:

The Office of Student Conduct is responsible for the adjudication of cases involving students who are accused of violating campus rules, regulations, or policies; federal or state laws; and/or municipality ordinances. The University’s student conduct-related goals are: to provide students with due process; to make students aware of and able to reasonably navigate through the conduct process; to have students accept responsibility for their actions when it is warranted; and to apply sanctions designed to assist students in their pursuit of excellence in both the classroom and the community.

Office of Student Conduct

No due process for someone summarily suspended.

Curious where the ACLU is on this. If a state school's team suspended a athlete for pro gay comments they would be up in arms. They'e even defended the KKK before.. But not this?

As an ACLU person I'm confident if he contacted them for representation they'd be on it like white on rice. :)

Even college students are entitled to due process before suspension. I went to law school with a woman who was caught red handed cheating. She was suspended immediately without a hearing. Because of that, she got back in, graduated, passed the bar, and is now practicing. This student should not have expressed remorse. He should have contacted an attorney.

Agreed.

Joe Biden did that too, now he is VP.

Curious where the ACLU is on this. If a state school's team suspended a athlete for pro gay comments they would be up in arms. They'e even defended the KKK before.. But not this?

As an ACLU person I'm confident if he contacted them for representation they'd be on it like white on rice. :)

He doesn't need the ACLU. He has suffered monetary damages in terms of lost tuition, possibly a lost scholarship, and time needed to get accepted and finish school somewhere else. It is a Constitutional violation. Constitutional cases get treble damages, that means the attorney would get treble pay as well. A plaintiff attorney would accept this in a heartbeat.

Wrestling has to be the gayest sport out there. Does his weenie grown when he grabs onto the guy under him?

I was thinking the same thing.

Just another sad little homophobe scared to death of his own sexuality.

Right, trannysteve?

I take this personally. I wrestled in high school and college and I always had to hear about how it's gay and how do we feel about being so close with one another. Wrestling is probably the toughest sport there is, not just with the constant pressure to make weight but the mental and physical torture wrestlers put themselves through. It's not just a matter of brute strength or two guys in singlets tousling. Wrestling takes an intelligence that most sports don't.

Wrestling makes you aggressive and it makes you look at people a little differently. It's the most straightforward sport you can participate in, because it's one man against another man, mano y mano. Psychologically, it makes you size people up quickly. It doesn't make you go out picking fights (well, most of the time), but you do see who's a threat and who...isn't. That's why I figure this dude was just talking shit about a guy he figures is weaker, and why he was with the taunting "now I've got the fags mad at me" stuff. Still not an endorsement of his tweets, mind you, but I get it.

Due process from being suspended from a sports team? He's not been suspended from the College like your fail analogy refers to.

Due process from being suspended from a sports team? He's not been suspended from the College like your fail analogy refers to.

Yet it through tyou liberal faggot head. the school is a state actor, that means every part of it, the chief of it is a state actor. The wrestling coach is a state actor. Does being a liberal retard impact your comprehension skills?

Sam Wheeler, Kent State Wrestler, Suspended For Anti-Gay Tweets About Michael Sam

A wrestler you've never heard of in a school you don't care about called a 3rd-round draft pick a fag. Are we up to speed?

“We are aware of the insensitive tweets by one of our student athletes," Nielsen stated. "On behalf of Kent State University, we consider these comments to be ignorant and not indicative of the beliefs held by our university community as a whole. This is an educational opportunity for all of our student-athletes.”

This...actually doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Wheeler is a wrestler, not a school official. And while you might find his comments ignorant, um...this might sound kind of petty, but who asked you? You probably didn't even know who the kid was until it was brought to your attention (which is probably why he was hastily suspended), and he was writing on his Twitter account.

"As an alum of Kent State University and as Sam’s head coach, I was surprised and offended by what I read on Twitter,” said Andrassy. “I have spoken to Sam personally, and while he is remorseful, he will be suspended indefinitely while we determine the best course of action moving forward.”

You mean until it blows over and your boss can stop pretending he gives a shit? If you're that surprised that a young guy would dare use words like "fag" and "queer", just kick him off the team. Don't do this manipulative shit where he gives some prepared statement (that's ironically more public than his initial comments) about having learned from his mistakes that hate speech is wrong and that we should be tolerant. We all know he's just doing it because you've told him he has to in order to save his ass.

Let me be clear and say I don't support using that kind of speech. I mean, I can't say I was offended by his Tweets because it just looked like a young guy talking shit and not a full-grown-man peddling hate, but you know, I guess it takes me a minute to get an outrage boner. And, we live in a society in which "coming out" makes you an instant celebrity and have people clamoring to hail you as The Next Big Thing, and Michael Sam is no different. So, there is apart of me that thinks that when you go public, expect a variation of reactions. He wouldn't have this much attention if he didn't admit to being gay, especially not from the LGBT community writ-large and the mainstream media who mostly don't care about football or even know how the draft works, so if a few douchebags you'll never meet don't like it, who cares?

That being said, wrong is wrong. It's a good thing we're not as tolerant of intolerance as we used to be. So it's good on the school for caring that one of their athletes is boneheaded enough to say that kind of shit in public.

The issue I have is that we're becoming a nation of busybodies. The only people truly offended by anything this dude said on Twitter were following him on Twitter. Just call the guy a dick and unsubscribe to him! I'm tired of all this fake outrage. People trolling the Internet looking for something to be offended by, finding it, and then saying they're offended. And then a major news outlet runs the story and apparently there's "public outrage" at something most people wouldn't give two shits about on their own. It's just gossipy and overly hysterical and it really makes it seem like "gay tolerance" is more like "scare people into silence". But changing people's minds and shutting people up aren't the same thing.

Wrestling has to be the gayest sport out there.

That comment has to be the most ignorant on here so far.

gotta admit, the two man luge is pretty gay. was watching that today. Reminded me of the ambiguosly gay duo from SNL.

Wrestling makes you aggressive and it makes you look at people a little differently. It's the most straightforward sport you can participate in, because it's one man against another man, mano y mano. Psychologically, it makes you size people up quickly. It doesn't make you go out picking fights (well, most of the time), but you do see who's a threat and who...isn't. That's why I figure this dude was just talking shit about a guy he figures is weaker, and why he was with the taunting "now I've got the fags mad at me" stuff. Still not an endorsement of his tweets, mind you, but I get it.

The guy in question is likely to be a professional linebacker in the NFL soon, so I don't think the Kent State guy figured him to be "weaker." He most likely just figured him to not be right there in front of him. He communicated thoughtlessly, as many young people tend to do. The problem is that today when you 'say' something thoughtlessly it is there forever.

Tough way to learn a life lesson, but that is one of wrestling's benefits too.

The guy in question is likely to be a professional linebacker in the NFL soon, so I don't think the Kent State guy figured him to be "weaker." He most likely just figured him to not be right there in front of him. He communicated thoughtlessly, as many young people tend to do. The problem is that today when you 'say' something thoughtlessly it is there forever.

The guy gets fired for tweeting an opinion, and you say that's just one of lifes lessons?

lol, I guess you are hilarious with rape jokes too, right?

The guy gets fired for tweeting an opinion, and you say that's just one of lifes lessons?

"Fired"? :confused:

And since when is a life lesson "just" as if it were insignificant?

Yes. And if he was in school on a scholarship which he would have lost due to the suspension is a monetary loss. Look up the student discipline policy at Kent State. Their own policy guarantees students due process. Life. Liberty. Property. Not that you've ever worked for anything enough to understand the concept of that kind of loss.

Wrestling has to be the gayest sport out there.

That comment has to be the most ignorant on here so far.

Whew! I got mine past Unkotare! :D

I have a friend from nursing school who went through a bitter divorce when she was in school. Her doctor gave her Xanax and she got hooked. She went to a treatment program, got off them, and has never relapsed. That was in her second year. When graduation time came, the dean told her she was not going to allow her to sit for her nursing boards because she had a drug problem. I told her that the school took her money for 2 1/2 years after she went through treatment and never told her they wouldn't allow her to take boards. I sent her to my lawyer. He told her she had a very good case against the school, to drop his card off on the dean's desk and tell her she would be taking boards. She took her boards, and there was nary a word about it after that. She has practiced for 25 years.

Yes, boys and girls, schools have to engage in due process. And most schools in this country are state schools, and the burden of providing due process is even greater.

Forum List

Back