Kent state wrestler suspended for not praising gay nfl prospect

...Yup he broke their code of conduct:

8. DISCRIMINATION – Intentional or unintentional act that treats an individual or group in an adverse manner based on a protected category. Protected categories include, but are not limited to: race, color, religion, gender,sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetic information, age, military status, or identity as a disabled veteran or veteran of the Vietnam era, recently separated veteran, or other protected veteran.
Code of Student Conduct
It's a state school. First amendment protects free speech.

Where is the right to go to college protected in the constitution?
It's a state school, they are limited by the first amendment

Think faggots. Would you support this happening to students engaged in pro lgbt speech if you think state actors can limit speech?

Hey these free speech argument are interesting.

If I go up to a person and start trashing them out, is that free speech?

If that person feels threatened because I am exercising my free speech right by trashing this person out, and that person kicks my ass for talking to them the way I was, does his right of self defense trump my right to "free speech"?

Or is the old saying that "nothing is free" really mean what it says? Nothing is "free".

And I always thought that the first amendment was to protect a citizen who wanted to trash talk the government without penalty. Where does it say it protects an individuals right to trash talk about another individual?

IF you went up to a person and started trashing them, perhaps those would be fighting words and you might get your ass kicked. In fact, this was NOT a face to face occurrence but the parties were miles apart and had no way of knowing where the other was. So there is no right of "self defense".

The government does not protect slander or libel. No one was slandering the football player since everything said was the truth. He is gay. He said he was gay. He's proud of being gay. Saying in public that he's gay is not trash talk.

I was talking hypothetical. Not this particular instance. But you do seem to be saying that there are some limits to "free speech" if in fact you are face to face with someone. That provoking someone in person may not be protected free speech.

Is that correct?

Provoking someone in person is not free speech. Free speech is not a universally protected right. It is always subject to time and place restraints. As an example, what is protected on the courthouse steps is not protected in the courtroom. Everyone is familiar with yelling fire in a crowded theater. However, yelling fire in a completely empty theater is protected speech. "Fighting words" are never protected speech.

...Yup he broke their code of conduct:

8. DISCRIMINATION – Intentional or unintentional act that treats an individual or group in an adverse manner based on a protected category. Protected categories include, but are not limited to: race, color, religion, gender,sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetic information, age, military status, or identity as a disabled veteran or veteran of the Vietnam era, recently separated veteran, or other protected veteran.
Code of Student Conduct

So when was the last time they suspended a student for a comment about Christians?

Answer?

Alex, "What is Never".

Poor Stevie, Why do you suppose Stevie has to lie about why Wheeler was suspended.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzaImHBR7zs]dad tom cruise wont come out of the closet - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LiuZLQbdTc]South Park R.Kelly Song - YouTube[/ame]

IF you went up to a person and started trashing them, perhaps those would be fighting words and you might get your ass kicked. In fact, this was NOT a face to face occurrence but the parties were miles apart and had no way of knowing where the other was. So there is no right of "self defense".

The government does not protect slander or libel. No one was slandering the football player since everything said was the truth. He is gay. He said he was gay. He's proud of being gay. Saying in public that he's gay is not trash talk.

I was talking hypothetical. Not this particular instance. But you do seem to be saying that there are some limits to "free speech" if in fact you are face to face with someone. That provoking someone in person may not be protected free speech.

Is that correct?

Provoking someone in person is not free speech. Free speech is not a universally protected right. It is always subject to time and place restraints. As an example, what is protected on the courthouse steps is not protected in the courtroom. Everyone is familiar with yelling fire in a crowded theater. However, yelling fire in a completely empty theater is protected speech. "Fighting words" are never protected speech.

IF I were gay, calling me a queer or a faggot would be fighting words, to me. Whether or not it was in person wouldn't matter. An insult is an insult.

Are you saying that what this kid at Kent State did was not free speech protected? And that the school was within their rights to suspend him from the wrestling team?

...Oh, he wasn't suspended, he was expelled,

Kent State Director of Athletics released the following statement:

“We are aware of the insensitive tweets by one of our student athletes. On behalf of Kent State University, we consider these comments to be ignorant and not indicative of the beliefs held by our university community as a whole. This is an educational opportunity for all of our student-athletes.”

Kent State Head Wrestling Coach Jim Andrassy added:

“As an alum of Kent State University and as Sam’s head coach, I was surprised and offended by what I read on Twitter. I have spoken to Sam personally, and while he is remorseful, he will be suspended indefinitely while we determine the best course of action moving forward.”

That raises the level of punishment for a free speech issue. The wrestler should sue. Should win. Should seek damages. Then go cut his tongue out for being a douche. :)

From the wrestling team.

"Kent State redshirt sophomore Sam Wheeler from Copley High School was indefinitely suspended from the wrestling team"

Not from the University.

If the school hired contractors the contractor would be a state actor as well. Constitutional rights limit state actors

The Free Speech conversation is an interesting one. I understand the school has a code of conduct and that is why the student was suspended.

Obviously, a person cannot be arrested for merely exercising their right to free speech. But if you fire this person from their job, suspend them, or do anything to hinder this person's right to make a living, are they really able to exercise free speech?

I get that as a business owner I cannot run a business where an employee is offending all the customers.

But a college campus? I would think of all places a student would have the right to free speech without fear of being suspended.

The Free Speech conversation is an interesting one. I understand the school has a code of conduct and that is why the student was suspended.

Obviously, a person cannot be arrested for merely exercising their right to free speech. But if you fire this person from their job, suspend them, or do anything to hinder this person's right to make a living, are they really able to exercise free speech?

I get that as a business owner I cannot run a business where an employee is offending all the customers.

But a college campus? I would think of all places a student would have the right to free speech without fear of being suspended.

He was not suspended from school. Only wrestling.

He was not suspended from school. Only wrestling.
The wrestling team
Is part of the school. The coach is a state actor. Or do you think think the state of New York had a state baseball team they could punish players for pro gay comments?

it is a privilege to be on the wrestling team, not a right.

it's perfectly legal to go out and get drunk every night, hang out at strip clubs, and generally make an ass out of ones self. doesn't mean a coach or team should put up with it.

same thing here - his comments may negatively affect other members of the team and reflect poorly on the program. so this wrestler can either keep his opinions to himself or he can find another school.

Last edited:
You know, I do not agree with his tweets but I believe the University and the coach went a little too far. If this is repeated behavoir I can see the suspension but if this is an isolated incedent then I think they went too far. Kids in college do dumb things maybe some counciling would have helped him better than the suspension. Now this kids name is going to be all over the news.

Forum List

Back