Kent state wrestler suspended for not praising gay nfl prospect

it is a privilege to be on the wrestling team, not a right.

So is being admitted to the school but they are still a state actor and are limited by the first amendment

you're living in a fantasy world. there are codes of conduct and team rules. hell, there's coach's discretion.

the wrestling team is a privilege, not a right. he does not have to wrestle.

i would have something of an issue had he been kicked out of school, but off an extra-curricular team? nope.

and the first amendment has nothing to do with it.

it is a privilege to be on the wrestling team, not a right.

So is being admitted to the school but they are still a state actor and are limited by the first amendment

you're living in a fantasy world. there are codes of conduct and team rules. hell, there's coach's discretion.

i would have something of an issue had he been kicked out of school, but off an extra-curricular team? nope.

They are state actors. First amendment has everything to do with it. By your logic unc or Berkeley can outlaw and speech they want on campus since you don't have a right to attend there.

They are state actors. First amendment has everything to do with it. By your logic unc or Berkeley can outlaw and speech they want on campus since you don't have a right to attend there.

no, i don't believe that. but they can limit participation in extra-curricular activities to those that respect their code of conduct.

the first amendment does not guarantee you a spot on a sports team.

Another jock proves what they say about some jocks. Not very smart. Like the dude couldn't figure out that his words on his Twitter account might cause him trouble. Hell no wonder they suspended him from the team. To [sic] dumb to wrestle. And that's saying a lot.

"Too," moron. :rolleyes: Go back and sit in the corner and STFU.

...Oh, he wasn't suspended, he was expelled,

Kent State Director of Athletics released the following statement:

“We are aware of the insensitive tweets by one of our student athletes. On behalf of Kent State University, we consider these comments to be ignorant and not indicative of the beliefs held by our university community as a whole. This is an educational opportunity for all of our student-athletes.”

Kent State Head Wrestling Coach Jim Andrassy added:

“As an alum of Kent State University and as Sam’s head coach, I was surprised and offended by what I read on Twitter. I have spoken to Sam personally, and while he is remorseful, he will be suspended indefinitely while we determine the best course of action moving forward.”

That raises the level of punishment for a free speech issue. The wrestler should sue. Should win. Should seek damages. Then go cut his tongue out for being a douche. :)

From the wrestling team.

"Kent State redshirt sophomore Sam Wheeler from Copley High School was indefinitely suspended from the wrestling team"

Not from the University.

"Redshirt sophomore?" He must not have been too good anyway.

I'd think the issue here is that while he can be suspended for breaking the code of conduct discrimination rules, he can't be criminally or civilly sued for the speech that being protected. Since he's unlikely to sue the school, though he'd almost certainly win, he'll have to eat the suspension.

why is it unlikely? it is most certainly likely,

and he SHOULD sue. BIG.

If you think state actors can punish people for speech you must then think if is five to punish players for pro gay speech

who does pro gay speech hurt? who would be made to feel uncomfortable and unwelcome on a team if a teammate expressed support for gay marriage?

the ones who oppose gay agenda becoming mainstream.

who does anti gay speech hurt? nobody.

it's just an excuse for censorship and persecution based on ideology

There is no right to be on the wrestling team in the constitution.

Although there should be. The Founding Fathers really dropped the ball on that one.

But hey, the Supreme Court can just make up any 'right' they want if they squint real hard at the 14th Amendment, so ya never know...

I see this year is getting off to a rousing start. I thought last year was the year of everything gay, looks like this year will be no different.

Forum List

Back