Keypad Gun Safes?

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
So, my wife wants us to get a gun safe, now that we have our own rifles, plus those of my two sons, in the house. Not that many, but my wife is worried they will get stolen.

I notice that all the gun safes I see online and at Academy, etc. are keypad, not dial. I think that keypad safes are not nearly as secure.

So two questions:

Am I wrong about the security of keypad safes?

Are there rifle safes that have dial locks at a reasonable price?

I think that keypad safes are not nearly as secure.

Keypad locks have the same bolt and strike as a keyed safe.

The difference is ... with a key safe, you will keep a key (or a spare) around the safe so you can access it quickly in an emergency.

A keypad requires no such external key.

Most keypad safes have the option to use a key if the battery on the keypad dies ... but you can keep that much more well hidden.

Most keypad safes have the option to use a key if the battery on the keypad dies ... but you can keep that much more well hidden.
That's how my own operates. If the battery dies or the keypad got damaged, the face of it pops off and a key can be inserted to open it.

So, my wife wants us to get a gun safe, now that we have our own rifles, plus those of my two sons, in the house. Not that many, but my wife is worried they will get stolen.

I notice that all the gun safes I see online and at Academy, etc. are keypad, not dial. I think that keypad safes are not nearly as secure.

So two questions:

Am I wrong about the security of keypad safes?

Are there rifle safes that have dial locks at a reasonable price?
Very high end keypad safes actually do NOT include a key option. If the electronics fail in some ways, it's torch and saw time. That's because the locks are generally reliable but security comes first.

Most keypad locks, though, are nothing more than a key safe since they all have the key option. Most of them are very specialized and complex keys that take special skill to pick but any key can be picked if someone knows how.

My safe came with an electronic lock but I immediately changed it out with an S&G dial combination lock.

Very high end keypad safes actually do NOT include a key option. If the electronics fail in some ways, it's torch and saw time. That's because the locks are generally reliable but security comes first.

Most keypad locks, though, are nothing more than a key safe since they all have the key option. Most of them are very specialized and complex keys that take special skill to pick but any key can be picked if someone knows how.
I see vids on Youtube - I don't know how accurate they are - in which people demonstrate how to open a keypad safe, and they show defeating the lock with an earth magnet, or a shim inserted inside the door to press the reset button. I see vids on Youtube about how to open a combination lock safe, and they are a series of half hour to an hour long video with a lengthy process of taking notes as you try to open it.
My safe came with an electronic lock but I immediately changed it out with an S&G dial combination lock.
Now that is an idea. I'll look into that, thanks!

I see vids on Youtube - I don't know how accurate they are - in which people demonstrate how to open a keypad safe, and they show defeating the lock with an earth magnet, or a shim inserted inside the door to press the reset button. I see vids on Youtube about how to open a combination lock safe, and they are a series of half hour to an hour long video with a lengthy process of taking notes as you try to open it.

Keep in mind......safes are good to keep kids from accessing your guns without your permission......criminals intent on getting your guns? Are going to get your guns if they really want them........

Then there's this guy. You might as well just leave you guns on the front porch.

Forum List

Back