Kids Are Giving Up on Elite Colleges—and Heading South

The Ivy League schools are going to end up putting themselves out of business if they don't get the chaos and radicalism terrorizing their campuses under control. The likelihood of that is iffy, however, given this behavior seems to be permissive straight from the top. We already saw two Ivy League presidents resign in the wake of their defending anti-Semitic sentiment on their campuses. Now, violent mobs have broken out at universities like Columbia, NYU, Berkeley, and others where Jewish students and staff as well as law enforcement have been threatened, physically attacked, and terrorist organizations like Hamas are openly supported.

Ultimately, big money interests, many of which happen to be Jewish, will pull their funding of these institutions. Robert Kraft just did it with Columbia. The former president of U Penn was ousted after a $100 Million endowment was threatened following her House testimony. More will certainly come.

The recent wave of violent protests and arrests at elite universities like Yale and Columbia have only confirmed for Scott Katz that he made the right decision to attend Elon University. The North Carolina college, where he is currently wrapping up his sophomore year, is a long way from his hometown of Lafayette Hill, the predominantly liberal Philadelphia suburb where the average home costs $610,000.

Katz, who is Jewish, says the antisemitism that’s increasingly visible at colleges nationwide—especially in the Ivy League, and other elite institutions like Stanford and Berkeley—hasn’t even touched his campus.

“I haven’t been affected by it at all,” Katz told me. “I definitely feel very safe on campus regarding my religion.”

They aren't going anywhere. A Yale degree is always going to be worth more than a degree from NC State. I don't happen to hold that view but most people do. Its not really the degree; it's what you do with it that counts.

I agree with you though...it speaks to an entitlement that is unimaginably "un-earned" for want of a better term. Here you are the sons and daughters of privilege with nothing to stop you from making six figures (and likely high six figures) when you graduate. All you have to do is keep your head down and do the work. If you have the right connections, you don't even have to do that well, and you choose to not only go to bat for HAMAS but to do it publicly and make a total ass out of yourself and risk your entire future on this? And, if you go too far, perhaps you risk your freedom as well.

I admire well thought out civil disobedience and protests but this is neither well thought out or civil.

They aren't going anywhere. A Yale degree is always going to be worth more than a degree from NC State. I don't happen to hold that view but most people do. Its not really the degree; it's what you do with it that counts.

I agree with you though...it speaks to an entitlement that is unimaginably "un-earned" for want of a better term. Here you are the sons and daughters of privilege with nothing to stop you from making six figures (and likely high six figures) when you graduate. All you have to do is keep your head down and do the work. If you have the right connections, you don't even have to do that well, and you choose to not only go to bat for HAMAS but to do it publicly and make a total ass out of yourself and risk your entire future on this? And, if you go too far, perhaps you risk your freedom as well.

I admire well thought out civil disobedience and protests but this is neither well thought out or civil.
Except for the businesses and law firms who will no longer hire from them based on their asinine behavior.

Forum List

Back