Killer sets trap, says its "stand your ground"

So.....I am driving on a moderately busy back road yesterday with my daughter. We pass by three puppies frolicking on the side of the road.....basically in the road.

The kid demands that I turn around and go back to get them out of the road. Knowing that the two hour ride will be insufferable if I don't.......I oblige.

The pups were picking at a buzzard that had been run over. The house was apparently vacant....no cars out front. We grabbed the pups and started to bring them up to the house.

As we got a few feet into the driveway, I saw the sign on the porch:

"If you can read this, you are within range"

So much for helping your fellow American. Hope the dogs didn't become road kill.

She cried herself to sleep, by the way.

Another pointless anecdote.

He should have minded his own business, created a diversion to help the kid forget about the animals.

the punks DIDN'T "just walk in", they STOLE, repeatedly, and one of them paid the price. Too bad the guy didn't get the other one, and didn't know any better to run his mouth, involve his woman, etc. Watch, his woman will rat on him to get 10 years or less, while he gets life or the needle.

Man Who Set A Trap To Kill 17-Year-Old Intruder Invokes Stand Your Ground-Like Defense | ThinkProgress

Like we didn't see this coming.

Its a shame that we value things more than we value human lives.

I don't want my belongings stolen but no way is my TV worth more than a human life.

Next it will be psychos inviting people into their house, killing them, and claiming they broke in.

Why would one enter a home of some they did not know?

To meet the new neighbors and bring them the cookies you baked. The door was open, no one answered.

So.....I am driving on a moderately busy back road yesterday with my daughter. We pass by three puppies frolicking on the side of the road.....basically in the road.

The kid demands that I turn around and go back to get them out of the road. Knowing that the two hour ride will be insufferable if I don't.......I oblige.

The pups were picking at a buzzard that had been run over. The house was apparently vacant....no cars out front. We grabbed the pups and started to bring them up to the house.

As we got a few feet into the driveway, I saw the sign on the porch:

"If you can read this, you are within range"

So much for helping your fellow American. Hope the dogs didn't become road kill.

She cried herself to sleep, by the way.

Another pointless anecdote.

He should have minded his own business, created a diversion to help the kid forget about the animals.

Naw, he should have taken the puppies and found them good homes.

Next it will be psychos inviting people into their house, killing them, and claiming they broke in.

To meet the new neighbors and bring them the cookies you baked. The door was open, no one answered.

Really..... You would knock on the door, and if the door was open, and no one answer you'd just waltz right into their home?

You might do that in a small rural town, where everyone knows everyone, and people are not routinely raped, beaten, and murdered. You go try that in Detroit, you a dead girl.

And even in the most wonderful awesome of situations where what you claim is fine........ this guy didn't show up with cookies, and he didn't knock on the door. He was a thief, trying to steal stuff. One less thief in the world, and I'm good with that.

Last edited:

Really..... You would knock on the door, and if the door was open, and no one answer you'd just waltz right into their home?

You might do that in a small rural town, where everyone knows everyone, and people are not routinely raped, beaten, and murdered. You go try that in Detroit, you a dead girl.

And even in the most wonderful awesome of situations where what you claim is fine........ this guy didn't show up with cookies, and he didn't knock on the door. He was a thief, trying to steal stuff. One less thief in the world, and I'm good with that.

This was a small rural town when I first moved here many years ago. Now it's the 6th largest city in the state and yes, I would walk into my new neighbor's home with a plate of cookies if the door was open and they didn't answer my call. Of course, I'd be calling out the whole way in and if they weren't there, I'd leave the cookies on the counter and go.

Montana has a castle law with a “stand-your-ground” clause. Under the law, the use of deadly force is permissible to prevent forcible felonies from being committed in one’s home or to protect against assault within one’s home.

The statute reads:

45-3-103. Use of force in defense of occupied structure.

. (1) A person is justified in the use of force or threat to use force against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that the use of force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry into or attack upon an occupied structure.

. (2) A person justified in the use of force pursuant to subsection (1) is justified in the use of force likely to cause death or serious bodily harm only if:

. . (a) the entry is made or attempted and the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent an assault upon the person or another then in the occupied structure; or

. . (b) the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent the commission of a forcible felony in the occupied structure.

Last edited:
Montana has a castle law with a “stand-your-ground” clause. Under the law, the use of deadly force is permissible to prevent forcible felonies from being committed in one’s home or to protect against assault within one’s home.

The statute reads:

. (1) A person is justified in the use of force or threat to use force against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that the use of force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry into or attack upon an occupied structure.

. (2) A person justified in the use of force pursuant to subsection (1) is justified in the use of force likely to cause death or serious bodily harm only if:

. . (a) the entry is made or attempted and the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent an assault upon the person or another then in the occupied structure; or

. . (b) the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent the commission of a forcible felony in the occupied structure.

the castle doctrine is the castle doctrine

you have no duty to retreat from your own home

the appropriate syg Montana code is 45-3-110

No duty to summon help or flee. Except as provided in 45-3-105, a person who is lawfully in a place or location and who is threatened with bodily injury or loss of life has no duty to retreat from a threat or summon law enforcement assistance prior to using force. The provisions of this section apply to a person offering evidence of justifiable use of force under 45-3-102, 45-3-103, or 45-3-104.

45-3-110. No duty to summon help or flee.

If you don't want someone walking into your home, lock the door. There are locking screen doors so you can let the breeze in and still have a locked door. You leave your door wide open, you are asking people to walk right in. Not sure where you grew up, but that's classic manners right there. An open door is an invitation.

I defended the guy in MN who shot the teens that broke into his home. There is no defense when you leave your door open.

So you are an idiot. If I leave my door open it is not an invitation. In order to walk in my door you would have to have been spying on me with binoculars in order to see a door is open. Then you would have to trespass on my property and walk 100 yards to get to it. If you want to do that expect your dumb busybody ass to go out feet first.

An autistic teenager was let off at the wrong stop. He walks down your road and sees your door open and walks in, he can't talk. You shoot him dead, you are going to jail for murder.

You can backpedal all you want. But that's not going to help you. We are talking about your self proclaimed right to walk into anyone's house.

I live at the end of a dirt road. No one has any business down here unless they are coming to visit or rob me.
This time of year, the doors are frequently wide open and the guns are always loaded.

And if you shoot someone who walks into your home through an open door, you will go to jail for murder. Think! There are people out there with special needs. Supposing an autistic man who can't talk walks into your home and you shoot him? Supposing it's you friends daughter who was sent over, she found the door open and can't yell out to you because she's got laryngitis? THINK! You cannot shoot someone for simply walking in an open door. And I'm really impressed with myself, I just spelled laryngitis without spell check. :D

Not likely, in this state. Sorry.

The statute reads:

No duty to summon help or flee. Except as provided in 45-3-105, a person who is lawfully in a place or location and who is threatened with bodily injury or loss of life has no duty to retreat from a threat or summon law enforcement assistance prior to using force. The provisions of this section apply to a person offering evidence of justifiable use of force under 45-3-102, 45-3-103, or 45-3-104.

Use of deadly force for unlawful entry is not authorized by Montana law. It must accompany real threat of bodily injury, loss of life or forcible felony.

The kid was playing the garage hopping game and deserved what happened to him. The game is to break into garages and steal whatever you can. It's a criminal game like the knock out game. If a few more got shot maybe these kids wouldn't find it so much fun.

And if you shoot someone who walks into your home through an open door, you will go to jail for murder. Think! There are people out there with special needs. Supposing an autistic man who can't talk walks into your home and you shoot him? Supposing it's you friends daughter who was sent over, she found the door open and can't yell out to you because she's got laryngitis? THINK! You cannot shoot someone for simply walking in an open door. And I'm really impressed with myself, I just spelled laryngitis without spell check. :D

Cite some cases where a person was charged with murder and convicted when someone just walked in through an open door was shot and killed.

I can site a case where a man was charged and convicted of murder for shooting two teenagers who actually broke into his house, is that good enough?

And for the record, I think that was wrong. Walking in through an open door is totally different than breaking into a home.

Only if the door was open, other than that it's not a fair comparison.

This was a small rural town when I first moved here many years ago. Now it's the 6th largest city in the state and yes, I would walk into my new neighbor's home with a plate of cookies if the door was open and they didn't answer my call. Of course, I'd be calling out the whole way in and if they weren't there, I'd leave the cookies on the counter and go.

Yeah.... and he wasn't 'calling out' either, nor leaving cookies on the car before leaving. If he had, I'd be with you. Again, you try that in St. Louis, you one dead lady.

The statute reads:

Use of deadly force for unlawful entry is not authorized by Montana law. It must accompany real threat of bodily injury, loss of life or forcible felony.

Could be true, I don't know. Each state has it's own version of the castle doctrine. Some mean little to nothing, and others give wide range of options when dealing with criminals.

My opinion..... is that if someone enters your home, you should be absolutely free to defend it.

The idea that someone could in theory break in, start ransacking the place, and when you confront them, as long as they don't pose a "real threat of bodily injury, loss of life or forcible felony", then they are free to waltz right out, leaving you to pick up the disaster that was once your home.... to me is sick and disgusting.

How our pathetic wimp of a society got to the point where we care more about the life of a criminal, the lives of innocent people ruined, is insane.

We used to hang people for stealing cows. Now some scum bag can walk into your home, wreck everything you own, and then say "Hey, can't touch me! I didn't threaten! Ha ha! See you later!" Really? Really? You left leaning idiots, this is the America you want? This is what you defend?

Makes me sick.

Could be true, I don't know. Each state has it's own version of the castle doctrine. Some mean little to nothing, and others give wide range of options when dealing with criminals.

My opinion..... is that if someone enters your home, you should be absolutely free to defend it.

The idea that someone could in theory break in, start ransacking the place, and when you confront them, as long as they don't pose a "real threat of bodily injury, loss of life or forcible felony", then they are free to waltz right out, leaving you to pick up the disaster that was once your home.... to me is sick and disgusting.

How our pathetic wimp of a society got to the point where we care more about the life of a criminal, the lives of innocent people ruined, is insane.

We used to hang people for stealing cows. Now some scum bag can walk into your home, wreck everything you own, and then say "Hey, can't touch me! I didn't threaten! Ha ha! See you later!" Really? Really? You left leaning idiots, this is the America you want? This is what you defend?

Makes me sick.

The law says you can defend your home & stuff even meeting force with force. It just means you can't kill them until you are or feel threatened.

Yes each state has different laws. In Texas you can shoot someone just for stealing from your home, only at night. You can even shoot them in the back as they are carrying your stuff out of the door at night.

Last edited:
You know, the easiest way to not end of dead is to not sneak into someone's house or garage. Even if it was a set up. The kid would be alive if he had not entered the garage. Right?

Makes me sick.

The law says you can defend your home & stuff even meeting force with force. It just means you can't kill them until you are or feel threatened.

Yes each state has different laws. In Texas you can shoot someone just for stealing from your home, only at night. You can even shoot them in the back as they are carrying your stuff out of the door at night.

You know, I would feel threatened if I knew that people were sneaking into my garage, but I was unable to catch them doing it. It's a very chilling feeling.

My mother had her honda stolen from her driveway, about 10 feet from her sleeping head, at night. Somebody who knew she was there and who had been watching the property snuck past her window and got into her car and drove or pushed it away.

Trust me, she felt VERY threatened.

Forum List

Back