Do you drink soda?

• Yes

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Pineapple

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
How about just cutting off the food stamps? The fattest fucks I see on a day to day basis are assisted out of grocery stores with carts full of snacks paid for with EBT cards.

Oh no..no...what is worse is seeing an EBT user buy a sh*tload of hot dogs/potato chips/Little Debbie Cakes/sugary cereals -- and then pay cash for cigarettes and beer.
Often the smokes are as expensive as the crappy food they bought.

Up to a small kidney stone several years ago I drank soda. Now I only have one very rarely. Joked with the doc then "I thought the carbonated water counted towards my 8 glasses a day?" He didn't laugh. :)

My body won't digest most calcium and it forms stones in my kidneys. I drink one cup of coffee in the morning and water the rest of the day.

Walk a lot but I still get the damn stones.

My son gets kidney stones, and he is only 20 years old. I am so damn worried about him. He will NOT stop drinking Mountain Dew, and I swear that is the cause.

Up to a small kidney stone several years ago I drank soda. Now I only have one very rarely. Joked with the doc then "I thought the carbonated water counted towards my 8 glasses a day?" He didn't laugh. :)

My body won't digest most calcium and it forms stones in my kidneys. I drink one cup of coffee in the morning and water the rest of the day.

My son gets kidney stones, and he is only 20 years old. I am so damn worried about him. He will NOT stop drinking Mountain Dew, and I swear that is the cause.

If he is active it will help move any stone build up. Mountain Dew is probably not the cause but it dehydration for the Dew will contribute. I was told to drink lots of water and it helps flush the kidneys.

If he is active it will help move any stone build up. Mountain Dew is probably not the cause but it dehydration for the Dew will contribute. I was told to drink lots of water and it helps flush the kidneys.

Well, he has given it up before on a short-term basis, and he had no problems. Then, it seems as soon as he starts drinking it again, he gets them again. I keep trying to convince him to stop drinking that crap, but he is a Mountain Dew addict. :confused-84:

Well, he has given it up before on a short-term basis, and he had no problems. Then, it seems as soon as he starts drinking it again, he gets them again. I keep trying to convince him to stop drinking that crap, but he is a Mountain Dew addict. :confused-84:

I guess he hasn't made the connection between the pain and the gain yet.

Ask him what he expects to happen to his kidneys in the next decade or so and whether he wants to end up on dialysis for the rest of his life. It might not happen but no harm is putting the worst case scenario in front of him by taking a visit to a dialysis center.

Ask him what he expects to happen to his kidneys in the next decade or so and whether he wants to end up on dialysis for the rest of his life. It might not happen but no harm is putting the worst case scenario in front of him by taking a visit to a dialysis center.

Gosh, I have tried. He quits it for a while, and then he picks it back up again.

Gosh, I have tried. He quits it for a while, and then he picks it back up again.

He believes that he is immortal at that age but those kidney stones should be telling him otherwise.

I never been addicted to pop at all, I get these stones every two to three months for the last 25 years. I have tried diets, taking calcium supplements then I to an herbal remedy, it seems the best at preventing the stones from getting very big.

Putting aside the snark you bring up a valid point.

It is costing us all a great deal in taxes to deal with this obesity/diabetes epidemic so why don't we impose a "sugar tax" on all products containing sugar?

The tax can be proportional to the sugar content and the proceeds can go to paying for the medical costs.

It will have a twofold benefit IMO.

Firstly it will make consumers more aware of the cost of all that excess sugar and secondly those who are consuming it will be paying for their own healthcare in the future.
We're already paying a sugar tax in the form of a sugar subsidy. Let U.S. sugar be sold at real market value.

Sugar Subsidies Are a Bitter Deal for American Consumers Economics21

Such savings would have positive consequences for America’s growth. An Iowa State University study by John Beghin and Amani Elobeid concluded that if the sugar program were abolished, U.S. sugar prices would fall by roughly a third, saving consumers $2.9 billion to $3.5 billion.

Also, are all us diabetics and fatties not paying for own healthcare as it is? I know I pay for my health insurance just like most employed people. Exactly whose healthcare are you talking about? Also, don't forget, sugar is in a lot of foods not necessarily called "sweets". A lot of so-called normal folks ingest their fair share of sugar on a daily basis. Where do you think people with Type II diabetes come from?
We could all do with less sugar and a generally healthier diet, but our culture is built on sugar and processed foods. What's your proposal for changing that? :dunno:

Thank you for bringing up the sugar subsidies. They are definitely part of the problem.

What I was referring to with the "sugar tax" was in reference to Medicare. Once you stop working taxpayers are paying the medical bills for seniors and it costs more for those with avoidable diseases like Obesity and Diabetes. The "sugar tax" would offset some of those costs.

I agree that sugar is loaded into all kinds of foods where it is completely unnecessary. Peanut butter is an example. I only buy plain peanut butter without any sugar because it is completely unnecessary. Same applies to a range of other foodstuffs that don't need it. The "sugar tax" would make the regular products less expensive.

So my proposal is to use the "sugar tax" to change the way people eat. If there are two products on the shelf and the one without sugar costs less which one would you buy?

Well, think about this. We already have diet and sugar free foods, but people still will buy the sugar-containing foods rather than the diet. Why? Because it tastes better! I made the mistake of buying sugar free Hostess cupcakes once. Blech! They were just not the same, so to be honest, I would probably still buy the sugary food. :D I think it is fine in moderation. Just don't overdo it.

I eat fruits, vegetables, meat, grains, and sugar, and a bunch of other things too to the tune of 3000 to 4000 calories per day. What I avoid is low fat foods and anything with artificial sweeteners.

That's a lot of calories. You must work out to be able to consume that many calories and not gain weight.

I usually cook at home and make things from scratch, so I control what ingredients go into my food. Of course, I'm not perfect and like my sugary snacks, but I try to keep it in moderation. Like, eat one cupcake instead of the whole box! Lol! I don't really drink soda very often. Probably once or twice a month. I don't really like it much. I usually drink water, coffee, ice tea, and various juices. I really love V-8 Fusion.

I run about 25 miles per week and lift weights two to three times per week. I've always had a higher than normal metabolism, but it began slowing down a few years ago until I started working out and running.

Putting aside the snark you bring up a valid point.

It is costing us all a great deal in taxes to deal with this obesity/diabetes epidemic so why don't we impose a "sugar tax" on all products containing sugar?

The tax can be proportional to the sugar content and the proceeds can go to paying for the medical costs.

It will have a twofold benefit IMO.

Firstly it will make consumers more aware of the cost of all that excess sugar and secondly those who are consuming it will be paying for their own healthcare in the future.
We're already paying a sugar tax in the form of a sugar subsidy. Let U.S. sugar be sold at real market value.

Such savings would have positive consequences for America’s growth. An Iowa State University study by John Beghin and Amani Elobeid concluded that if the sugar program were abolished, U.S. sugar prices would fall by roughly a third, saving consumers $2.9 billion to $3.5 billion.

Also, are all us diabetics and fatties not paying for own healthcare as it is? I know I pay for my health insurance just like most employed people. Exactly whose healthcare are you talking about? Also, don't forget, sugar is in a lot of foods not necessarily called "sweets". A lot of so-called normal folks ingest their fair share of sugar on a daily basis. Where do you think people with Type II diabetes come from?
We could all do with less sugar and a generally healthier diet, but our culture is built on sugar and processed foods. What's your proposal for changing that? :dunno:

Thank you for bringing up the sugar subsidies. They are definitely part of the problem.

What I was referring to with the "sugar tax" was in reference to Medicare. Once you stop working taxpayers are paying the medical bills for seniors and it costs more for those with avoidable diseases like Obesity and Diabetes. The "sugar tax" would offset some of those costs.

I agree that sugar is loaded into all kinds of foods where it is completely unnecessary. Peanut butter is an example. I only buy plain peanut butter without any sugar because it is completely unnecessary. Same applies to a range of other foodstuffs that don't need it. The "sugar tax" would make the regular products less expensive.

So my proposal is to use the "sugar tax" to change the way people eat. If there are two products on the shelf and the one without sugar costs less which one would you buy?

Well, think about this. We already have diet and sugar free foods, but people still will buy the sugar-containing foods rather than the diet. Why? Because it tastes better! I made the mistake of buying sugar free Hostess cupcakes once. Blech! They were just not the same, so to be honest, I would probably still buy the sugary food. :D I think it is fine in moderation. Just don't overdo it.

I eat fruits, vegetables, meat, grains, and sugar, and a bunch of other things too to the tune of 3000 to 4000 calories per day. What I avoid is low fat foods and anything with artificial sweeteners.

Thanks to my genetics I have to eat as little fat as possible. Whatever fat I do get is instantly turned into plaque in my arteries. The only reason why I am still alive is because I have never smoked and was always athletic. Moderation is key to everything. I love a good bottle of single malt, but my limit is a shot. I love my RC Cola, but my limit is 32 ounces per week. I love ice cream, but my daughter and I enjoy it once a month.

Basically I value my life more than I value short term pleasures.

Genetics can be a problem for some people. I have always had a high metabolism although it has slowed down some the past few years, but I still can eat without gaining weight because I run a lot and lift weights. I'm in pretty good shape but I'm not a lunatic about it.

From a hydration perspective, anything you drink counts toward your 8 glasses per day. That being said, not everyone needs to drink 8 glasses, and some people need to drink more. Water is the best thing as it cleans out a lot of bad things without adding anything bad.

Thanks to my genetics I have to eat as little fat as possible. Whatever fat I do get is instantly turned into plaque in my arteries. The only reason why I am still alive is because I have never smoked and was always athletic. Moderation is key to everything. I love a good bottle of single malt, but my limit is a shot. I love my RC Cola, but my limit is 32 ounces per week. I love ice cream, but my daughter and I enjoy it once a month.

Genetics can be a problem for some people. I have always had a high metabolism although it has slowed down some the past few years, but I still can eat without gaining weight because I run a lot and lift weights. I'm in pretty good shape but I'm not a lunatic about it.

I was gifted with low blood pressure for the majority of my life but around 50-55 I started getting high BP. We didn't worry too much about it but when I hit 65 it started to get up there even though I was a competitive fencer and have worked outside as a field geologist for most of my life. It was common to walk 10 miles a day. My doctor was working on a drug regime when I had to go to the ER as I was about to have a heart attack. I came within about a minute of checking out, it was my fencing that kept me alive. I had built up enough secondary blood vessels that they kept me going. My cholesterol has never been higher than 190, and for most of my life it was around 150, but the cholesterol I do make is the lethal kind.

I eat LOTS of veggies and just a little meat, mostly fish now, but those are the choices I had to make to stay alive. It's worth it.

I'm like that too. I seem to be able to burn calories like not a lot of other people. I've never had a weight problem. I eat pretty much what I want. I watch what I eat though, not because of weight gain, but because of other health reasons related to fatty foods, like cholesterol, etc.

I was gifted with low blood pressure for the majority of my life but around 50-55 I started getting high BP. We didn't worry too much about it but when I hit 65 it started to get up there even though I was a competitive fencer and have worked outside as a field geologist for most of my life. It was common to walk 10 miles a day. My doctor was working on a drug regime when I had to go to the ER as I was about to have a heart attack. I came within about a minute of checking out, it was my fencing that kept me alive. I had built up enough secondary blood vessels that they kept me going. My cholesterol has never been higher than 190, and for most of my life it was around 150, but the cholesterol I do make is the lethal kind.

I eat LOTS of veggies and just a little meat, mostly fish now, but those are the choices I had to make to stay alive. It's worth it.

Well, we are all glad you are still with us! :)

I got lucky with my BP because just as my doctor was thinking about putting me on meds they came out with new guidelines and that saved me. :lol:

As far as cholesterol goes I don't believe the recommended values because they don't make any sense. Putting a woman in her 70's who goes hiking on mountains on a regular basis on cholesterol meds seemed just plain silly.

My own cholesterol was always within the "limits" even though I have dangerously low "good cholesterol" according to the recommended values.

I don't think they know enough about it yet. They just latched onto it as a means to sell expensive drugs IMO.

My BP skyrockets when I have a stone, other than that it is low. I don't eat a lot of processed food and try to make things from scratch. I try to stay away from corn syrup.

I got lucky with my BP because just as my doctor was thinking about putting me on meds they came out with new guidelines and that saved me. :lol:

As far as cholesterol goes I don't believe the recommended values because they don't make any sense. Putting a woman in her 70's who goes hiking on mountains on a regular basis on cholesterol meds seemed just plain silly.

My own cholesterol was always within the "limits" even though I have dangerously low "good cholesterol" according to the recommended values.

I don't think they know enough about it yet. They just latched onto it as a means to sell expensive drugs IMO.

There has been a tremendous amount of research done over the years and they actually know quite a bit now. These are the things I've learned thanks to my near death experience.

Eating..... Your liver can process 700 calories. That's it. Any more go's immediately to fat. I eat several small snacks through the day, but the big meal is mostly a thing of the past. Doesn't matter who you are, that's the reality of your liver.

Cholesterol... There are two types, the lethal BB kind that I make, and the huge poofy popcorn size that others make. You can have a cholesterol number of 5000 and if you produce the popcorn sized cholesterol you won't have a problem. On the other hand if you produce the BB type, no level is safe.

LDL/HDL.... The LDL is bad while the HDL is good. They cancel each other out. There is one guy I know of who has a cholesterol level of 500. His LDL is 250! However, his HDL is too! They cancel each other out. You raise your HDL through exercise and niacin. Niacin can raise your HDL by 50% but, it gives you a "niacin flush" when you take it that can be uncomfortable for some people. Think of it as a half hour heat flash, but it can be pretty intense.

All the rest is basically crap. Your genetics regulate how your body handles and manufactures cholesterol. Your food choices account for 15-20% of your total cholesterol count. The rest is genes. If you live an extreme lifestyle such as a vegan one you may increase your life by a few years but if you don't combine that with exercise it won't help you. I am here now because I was always very athletic.

My BP skyrockets when I have a stone, other than that it is low.

That is understandable because you are in pain when you are passing a stone, considerable pain.

My BP ranges between 120/70 to 140/80 depending on what I am doing. As I mentioned earlier that 140/80 was supposed to be where they wanted to put me on BP meds but now it is considered "normal".

I was in the ER a couple of weeks ago for something completed unrelated but the kept me overnight for observation and both my BP and pulse were strong and normal the entire time.

As far as processed foods go, especially meats, I avoid those as much as possible. Way too much salt and other preservatives.

My BP skyrockets when I have a stone, other than that it is low.

That is understandable because you are in pain when you are passing a stone, considerable pain.

My BP ranges between 120/70 to 140/80 depending on what I am doing. As I mentioned earlier that 140/80 was supposed to be where they wanted to put me on BP meds but now it is considered "normal".

I was in the ER a couple of weeks ago for something completed unrelated but the kept me overnight for observation and both my BP and pulse were strong and normal the entire time.

As far as processed foods go, especially meats, I avoid those as much as possible. Way too much salt and other preservatives.

I love deli meats but I avoid them. I will have uncured bacon a couple times a month.

Forum List

Back