Lawmakers DESTROY thousands of low education jobs for the poor

Walmart's pay policy has contributed to the era of flat wages which effects just about everyone's wages in the working class in all sectors, including many of our posters.
But what the hell, they provide cheap merchandise that isn't made in the US and the inferior merchandise made cheap so it's longevity is nice and short. That guarantees Walmart repeat business so they can sell more crap that doesn't last.

Walmart is being singled out. The government is trying to force Walmart to pay a higher wage than what that same government has established as a minimum wage!

Please explain.

What magical properties do the dollars paid by Walmart possess which require more of them be paid out than has been established by law for everyone else?

Walmart employees (excuse me..associates) having to use food stamps and emergency rooms?

So, no target or k-mart anywhere in the country has employees on food stamps or using the emergency room?

So you mean to say that no minimum wage job in the country has a single employee on food stamps? And not a one of them uses the emergency room?

Walmart is the only business in the country that has accomplished this feat?

Last edited:
Wal-Mart Stores (WMT) no longer plans to build three stores in the nation’s capitol, after the city’s council voted to force large retailers to pay starting wages that are 50% higher than the minimum wage there.

“Nothing has changed from our perspective: we will not pursue Skyland, Capitol Gateway, and New York Avenue and will start to review the financial and legal implications on the three stores already under construction,” Walmart spokesman Steven Restivo said, referring to the locations of the planned stores.

“This was a difficult decision for us—and unfortunate news for most D.C. residents—but the Council has forced our hand.”

Read more: After Wage Vote, Walmart Scraps D.C. Store Plans | Fox Business
There goes several hundred jobs Obama was supposed to have created.

You don't like the wages Wal Mart pays?....
Don't work there...

It doesn't get any simpler then that.
go ahead and apply for a job some where else and demand $50.00 per hr.

Your tone would change if you had to work there...see if you can survive off 8.90$ an hour and 35 hours a week
Your tone would change if you had to pay $50.00 for a 6-pack of sweat socks.

Wal Mart destroys small businesses.
Utter nonsense.

Look around the neighborhood of any Walmart,anywhere and you will find hundreds of not thousands of thriving businesses.....or, they would be thriving if the government stopped crushing businesses with regulations.

However, there are literally hundreds of business around most Walmart locations that are in towns.

bodecea hasn't proven causality. Many small towns are dying due to lack of a manufacturing base. A Wal-mart coming into town can actually save jobs, and improve the lives of people whose incomes have been decimated.

Gotta love it.

The same folks responsible for moving the Manufacturing base out of this country by buying goods manufactured in China..are the same folks riding to the "rescue" of small towns by providing minimum wage jobs with no benefits.

Man you folks are something else!

:doubt:

I guess I can at least see your stake in this now. So the established stores don't need your services?

I opt not to bid on already open stores because of time restrictions. I did one once and it was a clusterfuck. Never again.
But that's neither here nor there. There are tons of jobs brought to any community building commercial properties of this size. Not to mention the boost to the local economy along with a major increase to local budgets from the tax revenue.

And for the record I DO compete with big box stores frequently. I beat them in the bid process EVERY TIME. If mom & pop can't compete then they don't deserve to be in business.

Don't make me laugh about the tax revenues. Every time one of these monstrosities goes in, the local government bends over backwards to give them generous tax breaks.

Because the massive increase in local sales taxes collected is nonexistent. ...

They often get initial temporary tax breaks as an incentive to come because of all the other benefits.

If I own a store which has ten employees, and I pay all of them minimum wage, then according to the bleeding hearts' Walmart argument, most, if not all, of them are going to end up on the welfare tit.

But since I don't employ many thousands of workers, I don't make it onto the bleeding heart radar as a bad employer for paying my workers a minimum amount established by the government.

The minimum wage Walmart pays employees is NO DIFFERENT than the minimum wage a mom and pop pays.

All those mom and pop stores glorified and sanctified by liberals are also paying minimum wage and, when looked at in the aggregate, are contributing to the welfare load just as much as Walmart.

Utter nonsense.

Look around the neighborhood of any Walmart,anywhere and you will find hundreds of not thousands of thriving businesses.....or, they would be thriving if the government stopped crushing businesses with regulations.

However, there are literally hundreds of business around most Walmart locations that are in towns.

bodecea hasn't proven causality. Many small towns are dying due to lack of a manufacturing base. A Wal-mart coming into town can actually save jobs, and improve the lives of people whose incomes have been decimated.

Gotta love it.

The same folks responsible for moving the Manufacturing base out of this country by buying goods manufactured in China..are the same folks riding to the "rescue" of small towns by providing minimum wage jobs with no benefits.

Gotta love it.

The same assholes who are fine with people who earn 130+% above the poverty line qualifying for gubmint assistance, turning around and bitching when they take it.

You lolberal hack morons are something else.

Utter nonsense.

Gotta love it.

That isn't correct. The government is responsible for moving the manufacturing base out of this country and they aren't rescuing jack.

Walmart's pay policy has contributed to the era of flat wages which effects just about everyone's wages in the working class in all sectors, including many of our posters.
But what the hell, they provide cheap merchandise that isn't made in the US and the inferior merchandise made cheap so it's longevity is nice and short. That guarantees Walmart repeat business so they can sell more crap that doesn't last.

Walmart is being singled out. The government is trying to force Walmart to pay a higher wage than what that same government has established as a minimum wage!

Please explain.

What magical properties do the dollars paid by Walmart possess which require more of them be paid out than has been established by law for everyone else?

I agree that DC's demands are out-of-control.
I'm just ranting on Walamrt because they set a precedent with the Walmarting of America when it comes to wage growth.
Several years ago, The Atlantic Monthly had an article called "The Walmarting of America" and the article accurately projected Walmart's effect on wages and the decline of the middle class. Since then I have seen the article's projection become reality. Thus my total distain for Walmart.

Please explain.

Walmart employees (excuse me..associates) having to use food stamps and emergency rooms?

So, no target or k-mart anywhere in the country has employees on food stamps or using the emergency room?

So you mean to say that no minimum wage job in the country has a single employee on food stamps? And not a one of them uses the emergency room?

Walmart is the only one of these businesses that puts up pamphlets in it's employee (my bad again, associates) lounges on how to apply for government assistance.

And to my knowledge, Target provides benefits to even part timers.

7 Companies Offering Health Care Benefits and Other Perks to Part-Time Workers - ABC News

I opt not to bid on already open stores because of time restrictions. I did one once and it was a clusterfuck. Never again.
But that's neither here nor there. There are tons of jobs brought to any community building commercial properties of this size. Not to mention the boost to the local economy along with a major increase to local budgets from the tax revenue.

And for the record I DO compete with big box stores frequently. I beat them in the bid process EVERY TIME. If mom & pop can't compete then they don't deserve to be in business.

Don't make me laugh about the tax revenues. Every time one of these monstrosities goes in, the local government bends over backwards to give them generous tax breaks.

Because the massive increase in local sales taxes collected is nonexistent. ...

They often get initial temporary tax breaks as an incentive to come because of all the other benefits.

They've just got some good lobbyists. They tout all the supposed benefits while not mentioning the other businesses that are going to get creamed in the process.

Utter nonsense.

Gotta love it.

The low skilled jobs are moving out of the country, as they should. We are still manufacturing as much as we ever were. It just takes less labor to produce as much stuff. That's call efficiency.

Protecting low skilled jobs is stupid. Especially when you demand they be paid a high wage that is not commensurate with the low skill level.

This is what I mean about our education system creating a nation of rubes. Rubes who are too stupid to do much more than stock shelves, build lava lamps, and demand high wages. We should be training our work force to be the innovators and leading edge workers our forefathers were. Instead, we are turning into a nation of fat little Honey Boo Boos.

Last edited:

Please explain.

I'm just ranting on Walamrt because they set a precedent with the Walmarting of America when it comes to wage growth.
Several years ago, The Atlantic Monthly had an article called "The Walmarting of America" and the article accurately projected Walmart's effect on wages and the decline of the middle class. Since then I have seen the article's projection become reality. Thus my total distain for Walmart.
What economically ignorant, contemptible, complete bullshit.

Wally World didn't invent the low wage entry-level job and there certainly would be scads of them in their absence.

You haters really need to get a fucking clue and grow up.

The liberal wrecking ball in full swing! D.C is high in crime; predominately black - what coincidence. It will cost more for Wallmart to operate there as a result as say Boise Idaho, or a million other places.
Liberals hate competition, but they love mandates. Lets see: their have been three D.C. city council members charged with crimes in the past few months. The blacks complain about buying from the Koreans at exorbitant prices, because there are no other availibilities? Home Depot is in D.C. ! :confused: :cuckoo:

Please explain.

Wally World didn't invent the low wage entry-level job and there certainly would be scads of them in their absence.

Prove me wrong.

Please explain.

And on top of that, the mom&pops that are allegedly being put out of business where already paying (or would miraculously begin paying this 12.50 per hour) more than the minimum wage...oh, wait...they were not.

Last edited:

Please explain.

How much skill do you need to work at Walmart? Please justify why such a brain dead job should be paid more than minimum wage.

You want big pay, you have to earn big pay.

Slack your way through school, and then demand big bucks to be a dressing room monitor? BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA!

Stay in school, kids. Take trigonometry, calculus, chemistry, and physics. Otherwise, count hangars and STFU.

Yeah, that's cold. But its the hard reality of the world.

Last edited:
That isn't correct. The government is responsible for moving the manufacturing base out of this country and they aren't rescuing jack.

How is the government responsible for the manufacturing base moving offshore? Did they tell all of the clothing retailers "You must get your good manufactured in China or Bangla Desh"? No they did not. Did they tell corporations to sit on billions of dollars while sending American jobs overseas?

And yet if manufacturing was on the rise in the US, you'd be the first to say that private enterprise made it happen, not the government.

You can't suck and blow at the same time, unless you are a conservative.

Gotta love it.

:lol:

Government under CONSERVATIVE control HAS been partly responsible for moving the manufacturing base out of the country.

But thanks to Obama, manufacturing is moving BACK to the US. I'd call it a "rescue".

You'd probably call it a "failure". Because labor hasn't reached the point where they are accepting 3rd world wages.

Prove me wrong.
Post the study and answer these questions.

In the study, were the wage comparisons actual apples to apples? Meaning are they comparing retail to manufacturing, technology, Services?

The funding for the study was provided by whom, with the caveat premise set by whom?

Who stands to gain from such a study and how will it be used to correct any deficiencies?

I'll not wait up.

Forum List

Back