Lawmakers DESTROY thousands of low education jobs for the poor

Stop paying people slave wages and this wouldn't be a problem...not like Wal Mart is hurting for money that they can't pay their employees a livable wage. My wife worked at 2 and it sucked.

Stop working for slave wages and this wouldn't be a problem.

If the only place that will buy your wife's labor is WAL*MART she must not have very much to offer.

Wal Mart destroys small businesses.
Utter nonsense.

Look around the neighborhood of any Walmart,anywhere and you will find hundreds of not thousands of thriving businesses.....or, they would be thriving if the government stopped crushing businesses with regulations.

However, there are literally hundreds of business around most Walmart locations that are in towns.

Walmart's pay policy has contributed to the era of flat wages which effects just about everyone's wages in the working class in all sectors, including many of our posters.
But what the hell, they provide cheap merchandise that isn't made in the US and the inferior merchandise made cheap so it's longevity is nice and short. That guarantees Walmart repeat business so they can sell more crap that doesn't last.

Walmart is being singled out. The government is trying to force Walmart to pay a higher wage than what that same government has established as a minimum wage!

Please explain.

What magical properties do the dollars paid by Walmart possess which require more of them be paid out than has been established by law for everyone else?

Walmart employees (excuse me..associates) having to use food stamps and emergency rooms?

yep:

Top Reasons the Walton Family and Walmart are NOT ?Job Creators?
Taxpayers Subsidize Walmart’s Low Wages and Poor Benefits – In many states across the country, Walmart is the employer with the largest number of employees and dependents using taxpayer-funded health insurance programs.

Utter nonsense.

Look around the neighborhood of any Walmart,anywhere and you will find hundreds of not thousands of thriving businesses.....or, they would be thriving if the government stopped crushing businesses with regulations.

However, there are literally hundreds of business around most Walmart locations that are in towns.

bodecea hasn't proven causality. Many small towns are dying due to lack of a manufacturing base. A Wal-mart coming into town can actually save jobs, and improve the lives of people whose incomes have been decimated.

Last edited:
Walmart's pay policy has contributed to the era of flat wages which effects just about everyone's wages in the working class in all sectors, including many of our posters.
But what the hell, they provide cheap merchandise that isn't made in the US and the inferior merchandise made cheap so it's longevity is nice and short. That guarantees Walmart repeat business so they can sell more crap that doesn't last.

Walmart is being singled out. The government is trying to force Walmart to pay a higher wage than what that same government has established as a minimum wage!

Please explain.

What magical properties do the dollars paid by Walmart possess which require more of them be paid out than has been established by law for everyone else?

Walmart employees (excuse me..associates) having to use food stamps and emergency rooms?

:rofl:

You surprise me. I would have thought that as an independent contractor, you'd be on the side of all the mom-and-pop stores that will be decimated by Walmart coming into their areas. You don't think that the Walmart jobs will come about without that kind of fallout do you?

How would you feel if some mega-corporation took aim at the contracting business? Maybe it wouldn't be all bad - they might at least return a phone call - but I'd actually hate to see that happen.

I have made tens of thousands of dollars doing new Walmarts and Pier 1 Imports.
You seem to think that the only jobs at Walmart are cashier jobs. There are hundreds of jobs tied to each store that don't work within.

I guess I can at least see your stake in this now. So the established stores don't need your services?

I opt not to bid on already open stores because of time restrictions. I did one once and it was a clusterfuck. Never again.
But that's neither here nor there. There are tons of jobs brought to any community building commercial properties of this size. Not to mention the boost to the local economy along with a major increase to local budgets from the tax revenue.

And for the record I DO compete with big box stores frequently. I beat them in the bid process EVERY TIME. If mom & pop can't compete then they don't deserve to be in business.

Utter nonsense.

ROFL. Anecdotal evidence is not a legitimate debate tactic ;)

Last edited:
Like hell they do.

Smaller town I lived in, in central FL - Sebring, I watched it happened.

Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowes all moved into the town within a 5yr period.

Downtown Sebring, historic circle, etc...turned into something just short of a ghost town
CVS and Walgreens killed the 2 old mom&pop drugstores downtown

IGA? Gone
Hardware stores? LMAO *poof*. Though there is one around I really like.
When you walk in there's someone there to greet you and ask you what you need, You tell them or show them, they walk you back and show you exactly what you need and how.
I'd pay them $$ more for an item before wandering the acres of HD and Lowes.

But places like them and/or Walmart typically pay a tad more than minimum wage. And the DC area in the story pays a bit more than the Fed minimum.

To mandate any specific company to pay even more than that is utter bullshit.

What a great way for the commissioners to drive away new businesses to their area. Their constituents must be so proud.
One reason why so many of those big box stores popped up in Sebring is because our county commissioners stroked them up with tax breaks out the ass.

DC the next Detroit??
Well, that's a problem with the politicians, not Wally World or Homeboy Depot.

Wally World also generally has oodles of satellite shops and businesses, most of which are small business that sell things other than the crap you can get there.

Sure, they have low prices on the stuff they have on hand, but their selection sucks.....Same with every Super Target I've been to.

Utter nonsense.

You haven't proven causality. Many small towns are dying due to lack of a manufacturing base. A Wal-mart coming into town can actually save jobs, and improve the lives of people whose incomes have been decimated.
What does that have to do with My response? The statement the Walmart destroys business is utter nonsense and can be easily proven that they do not by simply going to ANY Walmart location and taking note of the businesses around the area that should have been 'destroyed' but were not.

Utter nonsense.

ROFL. Anecdotal evidence is not a accepted debate tactic ;)
The anecdotal evidence is bullshit like "Wal-Mart kills local businesses".

Actually, it's a baseless ad hominem attack, but it's no better than anecdotal evidence.

Physician, heal thyself.

Utter nonsense.

You haven't proven causality. Many small towns are dying due to lack of a manufacturing base. A Wal-mart coming into town can actually save jobs, and improve the lives of people whose incomes have been decimated.
What does that have to do with My response? The statement the Walmart destroys business is utter nonsense and can be easily proven that they do not by simply going to ANY Walmart location and taking note of the businesses around the area that should have been 'destroyed' but were not.

I edited my response - it was to bodecea.

I edited my response - it was to bodecea.
Oh....sorry. :razz:

Please explain.

yep:

Taxpayers Subsidize Walmart’s Low Wages and Poor Benefits – In many states across the country, Walmart is the employer with the largest number of employees and dependents using taxpayer-funded health insurance programs.

The government establishes minimum wage.

If a minimum wage earner ends up using food stamps and taxpayer-funded health insurance programs, that would be true for ALL minimum wage paying employers. Not just Walmart.

Use a little common sense, people.

As Walmart is one of the largest employers in America, it stands to reason it will have more minimum wage earners than your mom and pop store which also pays minimum wage.

So I ask again, what magical properties do the dollars paid by Walmart possess which require more of them be paid out than has been established by law for everyone else?

Utter nonsense.

ROFL. Anecdotal evidence is not a legitimate debate tactic ;)

And no evidecne is?

Please explain.

Most Wal-Mart jobs are entry-level positions....I'll wager that most of the employees at a McDonald's or even one of you sacred mom-n-pop car washes qualify for food stamps.

You bozo haters really need a new sob story.

Stop paying people slave wages and this wouldn't be a problem...not like Wal Mart is hurting for money that they can't pay their employees a livable wage. My wife worked at 2 and it sucked.

So the state should decide what a livable wage is? Is that your contention here?
Truth be told, we're most of the way there already, with the Minimum Wage concept, and have been, for years.

Utter nonsense.

Woa!!!!, they lost their manufacturing base due to walmart in part.... people want cheap crap so walmart buys and sells from China for example and not from U.S. factorys...

I have made tens of thousands of dollars doing new Walmarts and Pier 1 Imports.
You seem to think that the only jobs at Walmart are cashier jobs. There are hundreds of jobs tied to each store that don't work within.

I guess I can at least see your stake in this now. So the established stores don't need your services?

I opt not to bid on already open stores because of time restrictions. I did one once and it was a clusterfuck. Never again.
But that's neither here nor there. There are tons of jobs brought to any community building commercial properties of this size. Not to mention the boost to the local economy along with a major increase to local budgets from the tax revenue.

And for the record I DO compete with big box stores frequently. I beat them in the bid process EVERY TIME. If mom & pop can't compete then they don't deserve to be in business.

Don't make me laugh about the tax revenues. Every time one of these monstrosities goes in, the local government bends over backwards to give them generous tax breaks.

yep:

The government establishes minimum wage.

If a minimum wage earner ends up using food stamps and taxpayer-funded health insurance programs, that would be true for ALL minimum wage paying employers. Not just Walmart.

Use a little common sense, people.

As Walmart is one of the largest employers in America, it stands to reason it will have more minimum wage earners than your mom and pop store which also pays minimum wage.

So I ask again, what magical properties do the dollars paid by Walmart possess which require more of them be paid out than has been established by law for everyone else?
The haters don't give a fuck....They obviously think that the sainted poooooor should be shopping at Macy's and Nordstrom.

Last edited:

The bigger impact on flat wages is lack of economic growth. When there is an excess supply of labor, wages suffer.

Our government has done far more to cause this flattening than any one business.

There isn't any economic growth because the consumer isn't spending.
Why isn't the consumer spending? Well with flat wages the working class has less and less expendable income. Considering 70% of our economy is driven by consumer spending, flat wages are killing our economy. Does government determine wages? NO!

Forum List

Back