Lawmakers DESTROY thousands of low education jobs for the poor

When a government targets a specific entity for punitive measures, I believe that is called a bill of attainder.

Someone please explain to me why Walmart is not allowed to pay the minimum wage which was established by the government.

The government has said no worker can be paid less than a certain amount, unless the employer is Walmart, in which case they must be paid even more.

Someone PLEASE explain how this is right or legal.

I can't explain why that's right or legal because it's neither. It's extremely foolish and if DC had any wisdom they would vote the clowns who are pushing this out of office.

My city voted down a Wal Mart last year, would have given jobs to 800 people in one of our poorest neighborhoods. There are two other Wal Marts on either side of town, but not close enough for these people. Given that my city is majorly liberal, I was not surprised. Turns out as it may, that Liberals wish to keep people poor and reliant on the government instead of on their own effort. I find that to be pretty sad in earnest. Wtf liberals? Just wtf are you thinking? You want to fight poverty by encouraging it. How does that work? You encourage independence by causing dependence. Seriously, what the actual fuck people?

Sigh....

Yeah been fighting poverty for over 50 years and they still losing the fight.

It's not just Walmart...It's all stores that require a certain amount of square footage AND make over a Billion dollars a year

Cool.

I hope the mayor doesn't veto the measure.

I hope not either. The LAST thing DC needs is 1800 new jobs.

not to mention providing low cost (CHINESE) goods to the poor neighborhoods who need them...

fixed it for you :thup:

Importing cheaply made sweat shop goods, that replaced goods made by American's of a previous generation, is NOT good for poor people here. Producing the stuff here is good for poor people to move up the econ ladder

You rw'ers want the poor who lost their job to the sweat shop labor to subsidize the very people who took their jobs :eusa_eh: :eusa_doh:

Last edited:
With Obamacare I don't think full time employment at Walmart is an option. Just one more job killing lib policy

Yeah, Obamacare ruined Walmart's otherwise stellar employee satisfaction record.

Stick your head back in the sand. At least then when you talk out of your ass it will look normal.

You surprise me. I would have thought that as an independent contractor, you'd be on the side of all the mom-and-pop stores that will be decimated by Walmart coming into their areas. You don't think that the Walmart jobs will come about without that kind of fallout do you?

How would you feel if some mega-corporation took aim at the contracting business? Maybe it wouldn't be all bad - they might at least return a phone call - but I'd actually hate to see that happen.

My city voted down a Wal Mart last year, would have given jobs to 800 people in one of our poorest neighborhoods. There are two other Wal Marts on either side of town, but not close enough for these people. Given that my city is majorly liberal, I was not surprised. Turns out as it may, that Liberals wish to keep people poor and reliant on the government instead of on their own effort. I find that to be pretty sad in earnest. Wtf liberals? Just wtf are you thinking? You want to fight poverty by encouraging it. How does that work? You encourage independence by causing dependence. Seriously, what the actual fuck people?

Sigh....

My city supported a Walmart going in, though we had alot of opposition from neighboring towns who had absolutely no business determining what companies went into our city.

The shopping center which Walmart went into was previously dead, now it's packed with shoppers. The surrounding stores are benefiting from a previously unused space being used and there are plenty of new jobs and better prices for consumers.

Ive seen zero negative problems coming from Walmart.

The district and its citizens will survive, I suspect , sans WALMARTS.

DC is one of the most expensive place in the USA to live, so a $25,000 per year full time income seems like a pretty modest income expectation.

At that rate s full time workers would not have to go on WELFARE to be able to work at WALMART

With Obamacare I don't think full time employment at Walmart is an option. Just one more job killing lib policy

Funny y'all keep blaming the bullshit practices of these corporations on something that's not in effect yet.
Yeah corporations are getting ready for when it does become in effect.

Who cares?

Honest to God, what's the point?

Know who gets fucked here? dimocraps.

Know who gets butchered in Chicago every weekend? dimocraps.

Know who has to live in the filth and crime of Dee-Troit where there is NO ambulance service, no Police that will even bother to show up, potholes with streets around them, fat politicians getting even fatter, no jobs, off-the-scale crime, a literacy rate worse than any third world Country, unwed mothers at a 90% + rate, etc ad nauseam?

dimocraps.

Let them live like the pigs and low-life scum they are. They deserve it.

And one more thing -- They ain't never gonna change. No matter what, no matter what kind of shithole they live in where the live cockroaches are eating the dead cockroaches, toilets don't work, garbage just lays in the kitchen for weeks at a time, burnt up sofas in the yard, old cars leaking all over the backyard, children can go days without having their diaper changed, diseases, drunkenness, drug abuse, mental disorders, preggo at 13, illiterate, etc, etc,

They ain't never gonna learn. In fact, I swear to God -- I think they like living that way.

Let them live like that. dimocrap politicans couldn't care less. As long as they keep getting elected and re-elected... (which is what this is all about)

Ain't nothing ever gonna change.

Remember that Asian Lady who started getting their Schools to actually educate kids?

They got rid of her. They WANT to be stupid, dirty and illiterate.

Let 'em

Let's not talk about all the uneducated shit holes in the south that are staunchly republican.

Name one

Throw a dart at a map. Most of these places are too small to pay much attention to.

Cool.

God forbid that the poor black people of DC have a source of local jobs that doesn't involve them bowing to the rich white congresscritters, or a place to shop locally where prices are actually affordable.

Cool.

I hope not either. The LAST thing DC needs is 1800 new jobs.

What DC doesn't need is a monster like WalMart that opens up in town, closes down the competing stores..and provides 1800 "jobs" lost from the places they closed down at lower wages and no benefits placing a greater burden on government resources.

Can you give me a list of stores in DC that would compete with WalMart?

Didn't think so.

When a government targets a specific entity for punitive measures, I believe that is called a bill of attainder.

Someone please explain to me why Walmart is not allowed to pay the minimum wage which was established by the government.

The government has said no worker can be paid less than a certain amount, unless the employer is Walmart, in which case they must be paid even more.

I can't explain why that's right or legal because it's neither. It's extremely foolish and if DC had any wisdom they would vote the clowns who are pushing this out of office.

You're making the assumption that DC residents want a Walmart in their neighborhood, and disagree with this law.

Walmart has been trying to build a store in NYC for decades, but the city won't let them, making similar laws to the DC to keep Walmart out.

Those laws and policies are overwhelmingly supported by New Yorkers.

Yes I foolishly made the assumption that DC would want to improve their econoies and create jobs among them as well as have a source of inexpensive goods they need to live.

You're making the assumption that DC residents want a Walmart in their neighborhood, and disagree with this law.

Walmart has been trying to build a store in NYC for decades, but the city won't let them, making similar laws to the DC to keep Walmart out.

Local polling suggested they did. I can't seem to put my hands on the poll, but this might be a case of the local government acting against the will of it's people.

And yet they allowed K-Mart in.

There's no limit to human stupidity.

And yet they allowed K-Mart in.

There's no limit to human stupidity.

Yeah, Target too.

But they pay a wage set higher than NY's minimum wage, I believe.

Forum List

Back