Lawmakers DESTROY thousands of low education jobs for the poor

Wal Mart destroys small businesses.
Like hell they do.

They do. They drive them out of business. Shit made in China brought here and sold cheap as hell small businesses can't keep up.

Wal-Mart is hardly the only store to sell cheap stuff from China. And cheap stuff from China greatly benefits low income workers. You can't hide from labor competition.

That said, our government distorts the labor market via expensive regulations and excessive taxation. When it's cheaper to do business elsewhere, business will move operations.

You're making the assumption that DC residents want a Walmart in their neighborhood, and disagree with this law.

Walmart has been trying to build a store in NYC for decades, but the city won't let them, making similar laws to the DC to keep Walmart out.

Those laws and policies are overwhelmingly supported by New Yorkers.

And yet they allowed K-Mart in.

There's no limit to human stupidity.

Yeah, Target too.

But they pay a wage set higher than NY's minimum wage, I believe.

Please explain why there is a minimum wage if employers are not allowed to pay it.

Go ahead. This should be good.

As I said, there is no limit to human stupidity.

Yes I foolishly made the assumption that DC would want to improve their econoies and create jobs among them as well as have a source of inexpensive goods they need to live.

why don't you just change your nic to "Fox news mouthpiece"? You're THAT transparent. That, or you know little in the area that you're expounding upon :thup: Your definition of "jobs" & mine differ greatly. In this case, "job" means hawking wares made overseas further undercutting the us manufacturing base.

Last edited:
Walmart's pay policy has contributed to the era of flat wages which effects just about everyone's wages in the working class in all sectors, including many of our posters.
But what the hell, they provide cheap merchandise that isn't made in the US and the inferior merchandise made cheap so it's longevity is nice and short. That guarantees Walmart repeat business so they can sell more crap that doesn't last.

Yeah, Obamacare ruined Walmart's otherwise stellar employee satisfaction record.

Stick your head back in the sand. At least then when you talk out of your ass it will look normal.

You surprise me. I would have thought that as an independent contractor, you'd be on the side of all the mom-and-pop stores that will be decimated by Walmart coming into their areas. You don't think that the Walmart jobs will come about without that kind of fallout do you?

How would you feel if some mega-corporation took aim at the contracting business? Maybe it wouldn't be all bad - they might at least return a phone call - but I'd actually hate to see that happen.

I have made tens of thousands of dollars doing new Walmarts and Pier 1 Imports.
You seem to think that the only jobs at Walmart are cashier jobs. There are hundreds of jobs tied to each store that don't work within.

Walmart's pay policy has contributed to the era of flat wages which effects just about everyone's wages in the working class in all sectors, including many of our posters.
But what the hell, they provide cheap merchandise that isn't made in the US and the inferior merchandise made cheap so it's longevity is nice and short. That guarantees Walmart repeat business so they can sell more crap that doesn't last.

Walmart is being singled out. The government is trying to force Walmart to pay a higher wage than what that same government has established as a minimum wage!

Please explain.

What magical properties do the dollars paid by Walmart possess which require more of them be paid out than has been established by law for everyone else?

Last edited:
Yes I foolishly made the assumption that DC would want to improve their econoies and create jobs among them as well as have a source of inexpensive goods they need to live.

why don't you just change your nic to "Fox news mouthpiece"? You're THAT transparent. That, or you know little in the area that you're expounding upon :thup: Your definition of "jobs" & mine differ greatly. In this case, "job" means hawking wares made overseas further undercutting the us manufacturing base.

You want me to lie because you've got paranoid delusions? I barely watch Fox. Maybe once a month if im bored.

The only thing undercutting the manufacturing base in this country are the unions who are being so unreasonable with their demands that they are placing themselves out of competition. No person is going to pay artificially high labor costs when they can go elsewhere and get market prices.

My city voted down a Wal Mart last year, would have given jobs to 800 people in one of our poorest neighborhoods. There are two other Wal Marts on either side of town, but not close enough for these people. Given that my city is majorly liberal, I was not surprised. Turns out as it may, that Liberals wish to keep people poor and reliant on the government instead of on their own effort. I find that to be pretty sad in earnest. Wtf liberals? Just wtf are you thinking? You want to fight poverty by encouraging it. How does that work? You encourage independence by causing dependence. Seriously, what the actual fuck people?

Sigh....

My city supported a Walmart going in, though we had alot of opposition from neighboring towns who had absolutely no business determining what companies went into our city.

The shopping center which Walmart went into was previously dead, now it's packed with shoppers. The surrounding stores are benefiting from a previously unused space being used and there are plenty of new jobs and better prices for consumers.

Ive seen zero negative problems coming from Walmart.

And all of their arguments were frivolous. The only reason they didn't want the Wal-Mart was because it endangered one of our historic districts. Absolutely ridiculous.

I believe that Vermont didn't want them and their stadium-sized stores, selling cheap imported wares (undermining American workers) in their state either.

The bigger impact on flat wages is lack of economic growth. When there is an excess supply of labor, wages suffer.

Our government has done far more to cause this flattening than any one business.

Stick your head back in the sand. At least then when you talk out of your ass it will look normal.

You surprise me. I would have thought that as an independent contractor, you'd be on the side of all the mom-and-pop stores that will be decimated by Walmart coming into their areas. You don't think that the Walmart jobs will come about without that kind of fallout do you?

How would you feel if some mega-corporation took aim at the contracting business? Maybe it wouldn't be all bad - they might at least return a phone call - but I'd actually hate to see that happen.

I have made tens of thousands of dollars doing new Walmarts and Pier 1 Imports.
You seem to think that the only jobs at Walmart are cashier jobs. There are hundreds of jobs tied to each store that don't work within.

I guess I can at least see your stake in this now. So the established stores don't need your services?

Walmart is being singled out. The government is trying to force Walmart to pay a higher wage than what that same government has established as a minimum wage!

Please explain.

What magical properties do the dollars paid by Walmart possess which require more of them be paid out than has been established by law for everyone else?

Walmart employees (excuse me..associates) having to use food stamps and emergency rooms?

The bigger impact on flat wages is lack of economic growth. When there is an excess supply of labor, wages suffer.

Our government has done far more to cause this flattening than any one business.

If there was no "economic growth", why the heck are they opening new stores?

Altruism?

:lol:

Wal Mart destroys small businesses.
Like hell they do.

Smaller town I lived in, in central FL - Sebring, I watched it happened.

Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowes all moved into the town within a 5yr period.

Downtown Sebring, historic circle, etc...turned into something just short of a ghost town
CVS and Walgreens killed the 2 old mom&pop drugstores downtown

IGA? Gone
Hardware stores? LMAO *poof*. Though there is one around I really like.
When you walk in there's someone there to greet you and ask you what you need, You tell them or show them, they walk you back and show you exactly what you need and how.
I'd pay them $$ more for an item before wandering the acres of HD and Lowes.

But places like them and/or Walmart typically pay a tad more than minimum wage. And the DC area in the story pays a bit more than the Fed minimum.

To mandate any specific company to pay even more than that is utter bullshit.

What a great way for the commissioners to drive away new businesses to their area. Their constituents must be so proud.
One reason why so many of those big box stores popped up in Sebring is because our county commissioners stroked them up with tax breaks out the ass.

DC the next Detroit??

What DC doesn't need is a monster like WalMart that opens up in town, closes down the competing stores..and provides 1800 "jobs" lost from the places they closed down at lower wages and no benefits placing a greater burden on government resources.

How does WAL*MART close down competing stores? Please tell me about this mechanism. Why would these stores close?

My expectation for intellectual honesty here is close to zero from any single prog so anyone that's articulate should jump in.

Please explain.

Walmart employees (excuse me..associates) having to use food stamps and emergency rooms?

As I've noted before: to you lefties, it is far worse for Wal-Mart employees to have access to government benefits than it is for illegal aliens.

Go figure.

BTW, approximately 1/3 of Americans are now on Federal food assistance of some kind. I doubt you understand the game the Obamanoids are playing with taxpayer money.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back