Lazy parents at the pool rant

AmyNation

Road Warrior
Aug 6, 2012
Currently stationed at the kitchen table
So i take my baby to the pool, shes got her arm floaties, her swim ring and a bucket of toys. I come in my bathing suit and i don't bring my smart phone or any other distractions. Shes in the pool, and Im either in there with her, or watching.

Drowning is the leading cause of accidental death in children under 5. I have a cousin who's son died in a pool accident, so I admit, I might be sensitive to the issue...

My daughters playing in the baby pool and she decides she wants to get in the adult pool, we get out and someone's little 2 year old follows us. So there I am in the pool trying to watch my daughter and keep this other baby up because her arm floaters aren't working very well. Finally I get out as the dad of the little girl comes over. Does her pull her out now that there is no adults in the pool with her? Nope. He can't because his dumb ass is fully dressed! So he tries to coax her to the side, except she's tired and can't make it there and she goes under and swallows water trying to get there. Does he hop in and get her then? Nope. His lazy ass just tries to stretch further while his baby is fucking head down in the water! I run over, jump back in and pull her out.

Needless to say, I lost my temper and tore this guy a new ass before leaving.

:blowup:

The worst part is he's not the only one. A pool full of little kids and most of the parents are sitting around playing on their phones, not even bothering to wear a swimsuit.

Wtf?!

So i take my baby to the pool, shes got her arm floaties, her swim ring and a bucket of toys. I come in my bathing suit and i don't bring my smart phone or any other distractions. Shes in the pool, and Im either in there with her, or watching.

Drowning is the leading cause of accidental death in children under 5. I have a cousin who's son died in a pool accident, so I admit, I might be sensitive to the issue...

My daughters playing in the baby pool and she decides she wants to get in the adult pool, we get out and someone's little 2 year old follows us. So there I am in the pool trying to watch my daughter and keep this other baby up because her arm floaters aren't working very well. Finally I get out as the dad of the little girl comes over. Does her pull her out now that there is no adults in the pool with her? Nope. He can't because his dumb ass is fully dressed! So he tries to coax her to the side, except she's tired and can't make it there and she goes under and swallows water trying to get there. Does he hop in and get her then? Nope. His lazy ass just tries to stretch further while his baby is fucking head down in the water! I run over, jump back in and pull her out.

The worst part is he's not the only one. A pool full of little kids and most of the parents are sitting around playing on their phones, not even bothering to wear a swimsuit.

Wtf?!

I don't have any kids, and while I don't dislike them I don't think they're all awesome either. I probably would have let the kid bob around upside down and forced the father to take responsibility. You never know when you'll get in trouble for touching someone's kid, anyway. They might accuse you of...whatever.

Wtf?!

He shouldn't be bringing a 2 yr old swimming unless he is prepared to fully supervise in the pool in his swimsuit.

I understand your anger Amy...been there and done that when my babies were little. And even when they were a little older, I STILL made sure to keep an eye on them....hell, even though all three are half grown now, I still worry...ANYTHING can happen in just a split second.

And, I hope that dad felt like shit after you wrung him a new one. Maybe next time he'll think first before letting his little one in the pool without him or another adult friend.

I understand your anger Amy...been there and done that when my babies were little. And even when they were a little older, I STILL made sure to keep an eye on them....hell, even though all three are half grown now, I still worry...ANYTHING can happen in just a split second.

And, I hope that dad felt like shit after you wrung him a new one. Maybe next time he'll think first before letting his little one in the pool without him or another adult friend.

Hey why would he worry about it? Plenty enough parents at the pool who care, just hang out and let them worry about it.

Hey why would he worry about it? Plenty enough parents at the pool who care, just hang out and let them worry about it.

I seriously think some parents are simply relying on the fact that others will supervise their children!

I get annoyed by the number of parents who don't swim with their kids, because they are often desperate for adult attention so the second I get in I'm swarmed with kids. But today crossed the line from annoying lazy to dangerous lazy.

I just can't wrap my head around what he was thinking.

She's lucky he didn't deck her...or accuse her of trying to snatch the kid.

I seriously think some parents are simply relying on the fact that others will supervise their children!

I get annoyed by the number of parents who don't swim with their kids, because they are often desperate for adult attention so the second I get in I'm swarmed with kids. But today crossed the line from annoying lazy to dangerous lazy.

I wonder how many of them simply CAN'T SWIM.

I love my iPhone, but I know when to put it down and pay attention to my kid!
Refuse to get one.

There's a reason I pick my ass up from in front of the 'puter and go out to experience some actual reality....And even with my theft proof stupid flip phone up here in BFE, Wisconsin, I only check it a few times a day to see if I missed any business calls or texts.

I find it quite liberating.

Wtf?!

There was an 8 year old who drowned in my neighborhood while her parents had a BBQ. There had to be plenty of adults around.
It always drives me nuts when you are the responsible parent and end up watching everyone else's kid because they are busy not paying attention to their children.

Refuse to get one.

There's a reason I pick my ass up from in front of the 'puter and go out to experience some actual reality....And even with my theft proof stupid flip phone up here in BFE, Wisconsin, I only check it a few times a day to see if I missed any business calls or texts.

I typically carry my phone everywhere :redface: im an iphone girl:) One of the few places I don't take it is the pool, because I know how important it is to stay focused.

Even if your child is a good swimmer(which mine isn't) it doesn't guarantee they are safe. When you have a large amount of kids jostling each other and fighting over toys it's easy for one child to get pushed down and not come back up.

Refuse to get one.

I typically carry my phone everywhere :redface: im an iphone girl:) One of the few places I don't take it is the pool, because I know how important it is to stay focused.

Even if your child is a good swimmer(which mine isn't) it doesn't guarantee they are safe. When you have a large amount of kids jostling each other and fighting over toys it's easy for one child to get pushed down and not come back up.

Yeah I am addicted to my iPhone too.

Like you, I still Manage to watch my kid. Accidents happen. My son broke his arm ten feet from me. These parents that do nothing to try and prevent accident boggles my mind. I am constantly afraid of him doing something or falling in the pool etc..

I think you have a point there, but it's not even just with kids. I've seen it with dogs. I used to take my dog to a dog park when I visited my mother. I always watch him like a hawk, keep moving around so he comes breaks away to follow me and make sure he doesn't get too charged up or into a bully mode. But most of the other owners who are there sit around gabbing paying no attention to their dogs. I even saw one person plop their dog in then leave to take the kids to the playground. WTF?

Forum List

Back