Lessons of History and Trying To Avoid the Same Mistakes

On the final episode of Amicus for this term, Dahlia Lithwick interviewed three brilliant court watchers about their reactions to various cases and their observations about where the court is headed: Jamelle Bouie, former Slate writer and current New York Times opinion columnist; Sherrilyn Ifill, former president and counsel of the NAACP and newly named head of Howard University’s inaugural Vernon E. Jordan Jr., Esq. Endowed Chair in Civil Rights; and Steve Vladeck, law professor at the University of Texas and author of New York Times bestseller The Shadow Docket. Below, we’ve excerpted their answers to her first question—lightly edited and condensed for clarity.

Dahlia Lithwick: What does each of you clock as a unifying through-line, if one exists, about this past term? How do you connect it to the national earthquake that was the term before?

Sherrilyn Ifill:
I have so many thoughts rushing through my head that it’s hard to pick which one. But I think as a top line, it is calling me back to the very first opening session of the Biden Supreme Court Commission. At that time, we had testimony from different experts, and people submitted testimony, and so forth. Niko Bowie testified first, and he offered an incredibly powerful and important and scathing account of the Supreme Court’s counter-democracy role over the course of its existence. He started out by popping the balloon of the idea that the Supreme Court is the place of last resort that has brought us to a more perfect union. And I remember, a number of my colleagues on the commission seemed quite shaken, or maybe some were offended. But there was no doubt that everything that he was saying was true.

And yet, we were doing this task of performing on this commission without seriously engaging the charge for change. And I think we see the consequences of that this year. Obviously, this was a devastating term, but I think really important for our maturation as a democracy in understanding that things are out of balance. And I think it’s time for us to take a very close look at the way in which we have allowed the mythology of the Supreme Court to set itself on top of our democracy, as opposed to being within our democracy. And I think this term best exemplifies that. I think it’s a historic term. I think it’s a term that will define the Roberts Court. And I don’t think it’s the kind of definition that he anticipated or wanted when he took the job.

Steve Vladeck: I’m going to pick a slightly provocative word, but the more I think about it, the better I think it is. The word of the term, for me, is arrogance. This is a profoundly arrogant institution, and I mean that in multiple respects. Arrogant from the sense of sort of picking and choosing the cases it wants in ways that are not necessarily advancing what the lower courts need, as opposed to the agendas of the justices. Arrogant in the sense of handing down decisions in major cases that really are punts, making you wonder why they took the case in the first place. Like what was the point of granting cert in Moore v. Harper if that was the decision we were going to get out of the court?

(full article online)

[ China, China, China, the Republicans keep repeating. What is one to think when their main witness against Hunter Biden is a foreign agent for China, an illegal arms trafficker, etc ? Where was his proof? Nowhere to be found. ]

“He subverted foreign agent registration laws in the United States to seek to promote Chinese policies by acting through a former high-ranking US government official; he acted as a broker in deals for dangerous weapons and Iranian oil; and he told multiple lies about his crimes to law enforcement.”

---
Luft is also alleged to have “conspired … to broker illicit arms transactions with, among others, certain Chinese individuals and entities”; to have conspired with a Chinese energy company “to broker deals for Iranian oil – which he directed an associate to refer to as ‘Brazilian’ oil in an effort to … evade sanctions”; and to have made “multiple false statements” to law enforcement.

The SDNY listed maximum jail sentences for the charges against Luft, ranging from five years for conspiracy to violate the Foreign Agents Registration Act to 20 years for arms trafficking offenses and sanctions violations.

Noting Luft’s “fugitive” status, the SDNY asked people with information about his whereabouts to contact the FBI or the nearest US embassy or consulate.

In a statement, IAGS said: “Gal is a man of total integrity and honesty. We are confident in his innocence.”

Tim Miller, a Republican operative turned “Never Trumper”, said: “So the guy who was supposedly gonna blow the whistle on Biden taking payments from foreigners was actually paying off Trump admin officials himself on behalf of China!! Could this be more on the nose?”

(full articles online)

[ Pro Israel, not really. Pro Jews. No. Pro votes from Jews? Absolutely ]

Attacks on Soros and the alleged impact of his financial heft have been a regular feature of Trump’s campaign. A fundraising email sent in February decried Soros as a “left-wing billionaire” who “thinks he can single-handedly BUY Joe Biden’s second term.” The following month, an email from Trump appealed to “patriots“, claiming: “I’m now being ATTACKED for exposing George Soros and the millions and millions of dollars he’s spent to BUY the White House. But let me be perfectly clear: I WILL NOT BE SILENCED for calling out the billionaire puppeteer who has wreaked havoc on our borders, our justice system and our nation.”

While Trump’s term in office was marked by an unabashedly pro-Israel policy that included moving the US Embassy in the Jewish state from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, his association with far right figures and willingness to adopt far right memes has alarmed many in the Jewish community. Last November, Jewish groups including the Republican Jewish Coalition (RJC) slammed Trump for hosting the antisemitic hip-hop mogul Kanye West and his sidekick Nick Fuentes, an outspoken Holocaust denier, at his Mar a Lago resort in Florida.

In 2019 — three years before his meeting with Trump — Fuentes used the “analogy” of “baked cookies” to dispute the number of Jews killed in the Holocaust.

“How long would it take you to make 6 million? Hmm, I don’t know, it certainly wouldn’t be five years, right? The math doesn’t seem to add up…. I don’t think you’d result in 6 million, maybe 200,000-300,000 cookies,” he said.

(full article online)

Former Top Gun pilot and reigning Nathan's hot dog eating contest champion George Santos has been ostensibly raising money for his 2024 re-election campaign and pocketing almost all of it to repay his 2022 loans. Because of course he is. Which begs the question: WHO IS STILL DONATING MONEY TO THIS MAN?

Forum List

Back