Let’s chat about the atheist religion.

Why is it that the gods are such poor communicators?
Have you asked a rabbi that question yet?

Or Indeependent or RoccoR or rylah or irosie91 or Mindful ?

I wonder why not?

I wonder why you’re wondering.
Really? You shouldn’t. You know Hollie as a rabid pro-Israeli poster from all of the Israel threads, right?

What’s rabid about being pro-Israel?
Not sure how you made that leap in logic.

You and logic? Together?
Sure.

Such conceit.
That’s how you need to see it.

Need doesn’t come into it.
Sure it does. You are selective in your condescension.

I once had a real axe to grind with God. I was a real dick about it. My almost saintly mom died a cruel prolonged death.

That is one of the hardest issues to deal with -- the death of innocent people. I still have problems with what happened to Job and his family, but understand Job more today. God has a more grandiose plan. What people forget is Satan is the one who does the evil stuff because he has dominion over the world. It's easy to blame God for all the ills in the world.
It's easy to blame God because he is supposedly omnipotent and omnipresent existing everywhere simultaneously in the past, present and future. I don't really care about a plan that looks exactly like naturally occurring entropy in a slowly dying universe.

Yes, it's easy to blame God but that's taking the easy way out. Not to blame him and blame Satan is harder; Satan is good at hiding. I also agree that entropy is increasing due to Adam's sin. The part I disagree with is slowly dying. It's happening rapidly.

Who do we blame for Satan?
Satan?

Who do you blame for your mistakes? God?

So, you answer a question that you can not answer, by asking another question. Got it. I used to be married to someone who got away with that for years.
I guess that was lost on you. FYI, it’s not God’s fault when any of his creatures fail to do good.

now do you understand?

I understand that god created Satan, and that I get punished by god if Satan leads me astray.
You understood wrong. What you just said was a textbook example of an extent locus of control where you just transferred your control and power to an external source, in this case Satan. You are so set on finding reasons to not believe in God that you have abandoned all logic and reason. No one can lead you anywhere. It is totally up to you to decide what you will or won’t do. Everything is choice. At any point in your life you are the sum of your choices. We don’t always make good choices. When we don’t, it is incumbent upon us to acknowledge our mistakes, learn from them and move forward armed with new knowledge.

Let's look at the bottom line of Christianity teachings.

God created man
God created Satan
If I am let astray by god's creation, Satan, I will spend everlasting eternity suffering unbearable torture for eternity in hell.
But god loves me.
Bullshit.

I wonder why not?

Really? You shouldn’t. You know Hollie as a rabid pro-Israeli poster from all of the Israel threads, right?

You and logic? Together?
Sure.

Such conceit.

I’m not condescending. How could you say such a thing?

I once had a real axe to grind with God. I was a real dick about it. My almost saintly mom died a cruel prolonged death.

That is one of the hardest issues to deal with -- the death of innocent people. I still have problems with what happened to Job and his family, but understand Job more today. God has a more grandiose plan. What people forget is Satan is the one who does the evil stuff because he has dominion over the world. It's easy to blame God for all the ills in the world.
It's easy to blame God because he is supposedly omnipotent and omnipresent existing everywhere simultaneously in the past, present and future. I don't really care about a plan that looks exactly like naturally occurring entropy in a slowly dying universe.

Yes, it's easy to blame God but that's taking the easy way out. Not to blame him and blame Satan is harder; Satan is good at hiding. I also agree that entropy is increasing due to Adam's sin. The part I disagree with is slowly dying. It's happening rapidly.

Satan?

So, you answer a question that you can not answer, by asking another question. Got it. I used to be married to someone who got away with that for years.
I guess that was lost on you. FYI, it’s not God’s fault when any of his creatures fail to do good.

now do you understand?

I understand that god created Satan, and that I get punished by god if Satan leads me astray.
You understood wrong. What you just said was a textbook example of an extent locus of control where you just transferred your control and power to an external source, in this case Satan. You are so set on finding reasons to not believe in God that you have abandoned all logic and reason. No one can lead you anywhere. It is totally up to you to decide what you will or won’t do. Everything is choice. At any point in your life you are the sum of your choices. We don’t always make good choices. When we don’t, it is incumbent upon us to acknowledge our mistakes, learn from them and move forward armed with new knowledge.

Let's look at the bottom line of Christianity teachings.

God created man
God created Satan
If I am let astray by god's creation, Satan, I will spend everlasting eternity suffering unbearable torture for eternity in hell.
But god loves me.
Bullshit.
Feel free to believe whatever you want, brother. My obligation was satisfied in my last post. These are your choices to make. It’s between you and God.

I wonder why not?

You and logic? Together?
Sure.

Such conceit.

Because that’s what I believe.

Satan?

now do you understand?

That’s one of the many underlying contradictions in Christianity. Another centers on the very foundation of the belief structure where in the Genesis fable, the gods lie to A&E about fruit theft and it is the talking serpent that tells the truth.

Religions are definitely man-made creations. What I find vastly more destructive and dangerous are religionists who play god(s). The sheiks, ayatollahs, Priests, Reverends, etc., all claim to be learned about their gods yet they clash constantly over doctrine and dogma. All religionists claim to be truly tuned in to what their gods really mean and really want. Why is it that the gods are such poor communicators?

Agreed. And to top it off, even Jesus did not claim to be god. I am sure that he would have been totally shocked that Paul took his teachings and turned him into the savior of mankind, when all he was, was a spokesman to Jews.

Oh, that's an easy one. Ding is a through and through charlatan. If he is accusing you of being condescending, that is because ding is being condescending. There is no mystery to ding.

I wonder why not?

You and logic? Together?
Sure.

Such conceit.

Believe it then.

Satan?

now do you understand?

That’s one of the many underlying contradictions in Christianity. Another centers on the very foundation of the belief structure where in the Genesis fable, the gods lie to A&E about fruit theft and it is the talking serpent that tells the truth.

Religions are definitely man-made creations. What I find vastly more destructive and dangerous are religionists who play god(s). The sheiks, ayatollahs, Priests, Reverends, etc., all claim to be learned about their gods yet they clash constantly over doctrine and dogma. All religionists claim to be truly tuned in to what their gods really mean and really want. Why is it that the gods are such poor communicators?

Agreed. And to top it off, even Jesus did not claim to be god. I am sure that he would have been totally shocked that Paul took his teachings and turned him into the savior of mankind, when all he was, was a spokesman to Jews.
That’s your opinion. I see it differently. But I don’t think it would have made a difference to you either way. You don’t believe God exists so even if you had believed he made that claim you wouldn’t have believed that claim so why argue over whether or not he made that claim?

I wonder why not?

You and logic? Together?
Sure.

Such conceit.

Believe it then.
Thank you for allowing me to believe it. That’s mighty Jewish of you.

A lot of people are atheists because religion failed them. They got preached at and told to be obedient and judged and molested and emotionally beat down to point it looked like a big sadistic joke. You're preaching at me right now without giving two shits why I came to believe as I do. Religion had nothing useful to say when my crisis of faith arrived so I walked away. I'll have no regrets even if I burn in Hell.
Please do not imagine yourself burning in hell. My grandfather was an atheist. About a year after his death I was in tears over a relatively minor event in my own life, yet which seemed major at the time. The person who helped me out was not in hell.

The vine and the branches. When the branches are not trimmed they can be strangling, and I am dreadfully sorry you got entangled in them. One of religion's greatest failures is giving people too high expectations of what it can and cannot do.

Even so, I maintain we should not give up on God. While Mother Teresa probably would not have ever advised giving up religious practices, I think she once said something that might be of great value for people who would like to try it on their own: “If we pray, we will believe; if we believe, we will love; if we love, we will serve. Only then we put our love of God into action.”

Satan?

now do you understand?

That’s your opinion. I see it differently. But I don’t think it would have made a difference to you either way. You don’t believe God exists so even if you had believed he made that claim you wouldn’t have believed that claim so why argue over whether or not he made that claim?
Since the entire premise of Christianity makes no sense, whatever, (God sending his son to be tortured to death in order to "save" mankind from his own creations), I agree that logic simply does not apply.

Satan?

now do you understand?

Since the entire premise of Christianity makes no sense, whatever, (God sending his son to be tortured to death in order to "save" mankind from his own creations), I agree that logic simply does not apply.
I’m glad you aren’t a Christian then. I couldn’t be happier for you.

I wonder why not?

You and logic? Together?
Sure.

Such conceit.

Believe it then.

What are you on?

I wonder why not?

You and logic? Together?
Sure.

Such conceit.

Believe it then.

What are you on?
Prednisone?

I wonder why not?

You and logic? Together?
Sure.

Such conceit.

Believe it then.

What are you on?
Prednisone?

Never heard of it.

Last edited:

I wonder why not?

You and logic? Together?
Sure.

Such conceit.

Believe it then.

What are you on?
Prednisone?

Neve heard of it.
It’s ok, I’m not really on it.

Let's try backing up a few steps. What was the biggest struggle between Jesus and the religious leaders of his time? It was Jesus' announcement that sins are forgiven. This is such a given in our own time that we cannot appreciate what Jesus went through two thousand years ago.

The religious leaders at the time insisted that Jesus had no right to make such a wild claim. His words did not convince them, nor his good deeds, nor his miracles. No one had the right to announce that God forgave people their sins simply because a person had deep regrets and turned away from committing that sin so that it would not interfere with them being obedient to God. The religious leader of the day asked Jesus to stop with that proclamation. Jesus would not voluntarily stop. He insisted his words were from God.

This was a New Testimony (Testament/Covenant) and no such thing took place without the signs of a Covenant. The sign? A Covenant at that time required blood. Jesus (and Jesus maintained it was willingly) gave his blood for the sign demanded as the sign of this New Testament/Covenant of Repentance for the Forgiveness of Sins.

So to sum up...those in power at that time stopped Jesus from proclaiming his message, but we see that did not work out so well. Today, almost all of mankind, whatever his/her religion (or lack thereof) believes that God forgives our sins. All because one man had a divine message he was willing to lay down his life to deliver. This is now known as the blood of the New Covenant between God and mankind. It is not known as God torturing Jesus.

Forum List

Back