Lets discuss the movie....Its a Wonderful Life....and Trump!!

The other day, I was watching Its a Wonderful Life and it struck me how so similar that movie correlates into todays political genre'. Two key characters....Bailey and Mr. Potter both wanting financial control over the community and its workers. Bailey wanting to do it the right and fair way and Mr. Potter, the greedy way. What struck me in similarities...was the out come.....when Bailey took over, the people were happy and town prospered....Mr. Potter on the other hand without Bailey....turned the town and the people into a cesspool of trash.....two prominent business men....one got his hands dirty right along with the people and understood, the other....never got his hands dirty, never really identified with the little guy and was detached....thus the Trump soon to be legacy!!

images
images
images

Bailey and Mr. Potter both wanting financial control over the community and its workers.

George Bailey did not want financial control over anyone.

when Bailey took over, the people were happy and town prospered....

George never took over. You're confused.

....never got his hands dirty, never really identified with the little guy and was detached

Are you talking about Hillary now?
My whole thesis on this was to show...business leaders that come through the ranks like Trump and Mr. Potter....make horrible choices for others in life.

Your thesis is stupid.

So is Trump and Palin and I don;t need your vote, they do.

In reality, a mortgage lender during the Depression would be the most unpopular man in town. You can't just NOT foreclose on people who can't pay their mortgages. That's fraud against the depositors, and if you didn't foreclose, the regulators would shut you down.

Oddly enough, this wasn't during the depression era...as a matter of logistics it was really during an economic boom, WWll.

Oddly enough, the early part of the movie was during the Depression.
Perhaps, but what struggles did the move show? NONE...the family had a maid.

George cancelled his honeymoon and used his own money to stop the Savings and Loan from failing.

Ya know, I forgot about that part....but wasn't that due solely to Potter calling in a loan that he had given the S&L??? Had nothing to do with poverty, rather than the greed of Trump, I mean Mr. Potter

but wasn't that due solely to Potter calling in a loan

There was a run on the bank. A sadly common occurrence during the Great Depression.

Had nothing to do with poverty, rather than the greed of Trump, I mean Mr. Potter

I see your ignorance is both deep and wide.

Oddly enough, this wasn't during the depression era...as a matter of logistics it was really during an economic boom, WWll.

George cancelled his honeymoon and used his own money to stop the Savings and Loan from failing.
Where did they get the money to do that, and buy a very large home on the same day?

George saved his money. They were about to go on a long honeymoon.
They didn't buy that home on that day.
You're not very familiar with the movie.

That home like so many of that era was probably abandoned by the banks and George took advantage of it and became a squatter or it could have been a S&L asset...who knows.

The other day, I was watching Its a Wonderful Life and it struck me how so similar that movie correlates into todays political genre'. Two key characters....Bailey and Mr. Potter both wanting financial control over the community and its workers. Bailey wanting to do it the right and fair way and Mr. Potter, the greedy way. What struck me in similarities...was the out come.....when Bailey took over, the people were happy and town prospered....Mr. Potter on the other hand without Bailey....turned the town and the people into a cesspool of trash.....two prominent business men....one got his hands dirty right along with the people and understood, the other....never got his hands dirty, never really identified with the little guy and was detached....thus the Trump soon to be legacy!!

images
images
images

Bailey and Mr. Potter both wanting financial control over the community and its workers.

George Bailey did not want financial control over anyone.

when Bailey took over, the people were happy and town prospered....

George never took over. You're confused.

....never got his hands dirty, never really identified with the little guy and was detached

Are you talking about Hillary now?
My whole thesis on this was to show...business leaders that come through the ranks like Trump and Mr. Potter....make horrible choices for others in life.

Your thesis is stupid.

So is Trump and Palin and I don;t need your vote, they do.

Neither would make as many stupid claims about the movie as you have. Durr.

Where did they get the money to do that, and buy a very large home on the same day?

George saved his money. They were about to go on a long honeymoon.
They didn't buy that home on that day.
You're not very familiar with the movie.

That home like so many of that era was probably abandoned by the banks and George took advantage of it and became a squatter or it could have been a S&L asset...who knows.

I know. Because I've seen the movie.

Jimmy Stewart was very conservative by the way, so you didn't have to be a liberal to be against rapacious rich people and crooked politicians. The fact is, rapacious rich people and crooked politicians are mostly liberal Democrats, and Hillary is their candidate.

Ya know, I forgot about that part....but wasn't that due solely to Potter calling in a loan that he had given the S&L??? Had nothing to do with poverty, rather than the greed of Trump, I mean Mr. Potter

There was a run on the bank. A sadly common occurrence during the Great Depression.

Had nothing to do with poverty, rather than the greed of Trump, I mean Mr. Potter

That is so not true...Mr. Potter called in a loan and Uncle Billy....pay attention gave Potter all the money....watch the movie over, because that's what happened. That run, was caused by Potter...a greedy trump like whore!!

Jimmy Stewart was very conservative by the way, so you didn't have to be a liberal to be against rapacious rich people and crooked politicians. The fact is, rapacious rich people and crooked politicians are mostly liberal Democrats, and Hillary is their candidate.

James Stewart was also a product of that era which rendered him a racist....and that is fact.

Anyway, Pottersville, as terrible as it was supposed to be, was a booming town where everyone had a job. Bailey's version of the town was a sleepy backwater, and most of the young people who went to college didn't come back for lack of opportunities.

James Stewart was also a product of that era which rendered him a racist....and that is fact.
The movie had a very positive portrayal of the black housemaid. Frank Capra and Jimmy Stewart were ahead of their time.

Anyway, Pottersville, as terrible as it was supposed to be, was a booming town where everyone had a job. Bailey's version of the town was a sleepy backwater, and most of the young people who went to college didn't come back for lack of opportunities.

So corruption to you equals a boom? No wander you ass ho's keep pointing fingers at every fuckin body in this country, but Wall Street and greedy bastards like Trump and the Clintons...gotcha!!

The movie had a very positive portrayal of the black housemaid. Frank Capra and Jimmy Stewart were ahead of their time.

Ahead how??? Because they had a maid that gave a donation? LOLOLOLOLOL....I'm not hating on Stewart, but the guy was bit racist, it is what it is.

That is so not true...Mr. Potter called in a loan and Uncle Billy....pay attention gave Potter all the money....watch the movie over, because that's what happened. That run, was caused by Potter...a greedy trump like whore!!

That is so not true...

There was a run on the Building and Loan. As George was going on his honeymoon

Durr.

and Uncle Billy....pay attention gave Potter all the money

That was years later, after George had 4 kids.

Durr again.

That is so not true...

Durr.

Durr again.

That's not true, once George enters the building, he confronts his Uncle, his uncle begans telling him what happened and George ask him did you give him all the money and he says yes......the part your showing is after..........the scene I'm refering.

That is so not true...

Durr.

Durr again.

That's not true, once George enters the building, he confronts his Uncle, his uncle begans telling him what happened and George ask him did you give him all the money and he says yes......the part your showing is after..........the scene I'm refering.

he confronts his Uncle, his uncle begans telling him what happened

The banks runs were in 1932.
Uncle Billy lost the money Christmas Eve, 1945.

The story the movie was based on was written during the Great Depression. Much of the era was dominated by stories in which the rich were demonized.

It may have been written during the depression era, but if you watch the movie carefully, everyone seem to be prospering....there were no foreclosures or people stressing over money. The only real stress came was Uncle Billy lost the depositors money and when Potter took over...otherwise, everyone seem to be doing quite well...people were buying homes, business's were doing good....this was a post war movie....remember the scene when both George and his girl was talking to Sam on the phone about investing in plastics?
That scene happened during the 1920's, when the economy was booming, and lots of people were getting rich on an overheated stock market.

In the movie, the start of the Depression was represented by the bank run, and the run on Bailey Savings & Loan.

In reality, a mortgage lender during the Depression would be the most unpopular man in town. You can't just NOT foreclose on people who can't pay their mortgages. That's fraud against the depositors, and if you didn't foreclose, the regulators would shut you down.

It was a different world. In the book Mary Poppins, we are told that the Banks are a stuggling family, yet they have a cook, a maid, a gardener, and a full-time nanny. That was normal in the Edwardian Age.

It is only within the last few decades that middle-class people can no longer afford to hire servants.

No, Potter didn't call in a loan, the bank called in a loan. The bank ran out of money because of the bank run, so they pulled in the loan.

Mr. Potter did the opposite, he loaned the bank money and took it over. He offered to loan the S&L money so he could take it over, but George Bailey turned him down. In a later scene, it is revealed that Potter loaned money to other businesses in town and took them over. He saved the whole town from economic ruin, but for this, he is portrayed as the bad guy.

tigerred59, you started this thread but you are completely confused about what actually happened in this movie.

Our country's romantization of home ownership has led to two major financial crises in the United States. That is why we're in the fix we're in today, because the government wanted poor people with bad credit to own their own homes, and they forced the banks to lend them the money.

Forum List

Back