Liberal arguments for supporting gun ownership rights

People have a way of distorting values and issues. Let's clear teh[sic] air here. there are many a liberal who is opposed to the progressive arguments and reasoning for many gun control laws.

I guess the first post in this thread stands as a testament to truth. So far it has only been the populist progressive nitwit crowd that has weighed in with the crazed reasoning to support many of the gun control proposals/laws.

One side note is the wingnuts on the right who keep confusing the PPs with liberals and liberalism. These people need to get a room together and play with faulty explosives.

U.S. Leads Richest Nations In Gun Deaths

BY CHELSEA J. CARTER
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

ATLANTA -- The United States has by far the highest rate of gun deaths -- murders, suicides and accidents -- among the world's 36 richest nations, a government study found.
The U.S. rate for gun deaths in 1994 was 14.24 per 100,000 people. Japan had the lowest rate, at .05 per 100,000.
The study, done by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is the first comprehensive international look at gun-related deaths. It was published Thursday in the International Journal of Epidemiology.
The CDC would not speculate why the death rates varied, but other researchers said easy access to guns and society's acceptance of violence are part of the problem in the United States.
``If you have a country saturated with guns -- available to people when they are intoxicated, angry or depressed -- it's not unusual guns will be used more often,'' said Rebecca Peters, a Johns Hopkins University fellow specializing in gun violence. ``This has to be treated as a public health emergency.''
The National Rifle Association called the study shoddy because it failed to examine all causes of violent deaths.
``What this shows is the CDC is after guns. They aren't concerned with violence. It's pretending that no homicide exists unless it's related to guns,'' said Paul Blackman, a research coordinator for the NRA in Fairfax, Va.
The 36 countries chosen were listed as the richest in the World Bank's 1994 World Development Report, with the highest GNP per capita income.
The study used 1994 statistics supplied by the 36 countries. Of the 88,649 gun deaths reported by all the countries, the United States accounted for 45 percent, said Etienne Krug, a CDC researcher and co-author of the article.
Japan, where very few people own guns, averages 124 gun-related attacks a year, and less than 1 percent end in death. Police often raid the homes of those suspected of having weapons.
The study found that gun-related deaths were five to six times higher in the Americas than in Europe or Australia and New Zealand and 95 times higher than in Asia.
Here are gun-related deaths per 100,000 people in the world's 36 richest countries in 1994: United States 14.24; Brazil 12.95; Mexico 12.69; Estonia 12.26; Argentina 8.93; Northern Ireland 6.63; Finland 6.46; Switzerland 5.31; France 5.15; Canada 4.31; Norway 3.82; Austria 3.70; Portugal 3.20; Israel 2.91; Belgium 2.90; Australia 2.65; Slovenia 2.60; Italy 2.44; New Zealand 2.38; Denmark 2.09; Sweden 1.92; Kuwait 1.84; Greece 1.29; Germany 1.24; Hungary 1.11; Republic of Ireland 0.97; Spain 0.78; Netherlands 0.70; Scotland 0.54; England and Wales 0.41; Taiwan 0.37; Singapore 0.21; Mauritius 0.19; Hong Kong 0.14; South Korea 0.12; Japan 0.05.

http://www.guncite.com/cnngunde.html

Guns don't prevent deaths, they cause them. The gun as a defense argument is bogus. Guns are rarely used for defense. If you own a gun, you are twice as likely to be killed by a gun, so guns are dangerous to their owners.

Guns don't cause death. I've been around almost any kind of gun you can think of for the bulk of my life and I've never, ever seen a gun cause a death. I saw it almost happen once, in all those years. A round had a "hang fire" in a .50 cal. A soldier was policing brass near the gun and the round discharged. The round went down range, but the brass kicked back and hit the trunnion block shattered and hit the soldier in the hand. Could have been his head and if it was, it might have killed him. But that's as close as I've seen a gun causing a death.

Maybe you mistyped?

Guns kept in the home for self-protection are 22 times more likely to kill a family member or friend than to kill in self-defense.[9]

The presence of a gun in the home triples the risk of homicide in the home.[10]

The presence of a gun in the home increases the risk of suicide fivefold.[11]

Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence

You must have missed the post on another thread where a member described in VERY intimate detail how she was nearly raped. But for her having the .357 magnum that her father got her and putting it to the head of the guy about to rape her, nothing else would have stopped him.

Just something that happens thousands of times a day.

U.S. Leads Richest Nations In Gun Deaths

BY CHELSEA J. CARTER
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

ATLANTA -- The United States has by far the highest rate of gun deaths . . .

SNIPPED BECAUSE WE GET YOUR RETARDED POINT​
"Gun death" statistics are frequently cited, in the manner above, to strongly suggest that guns are the cause behind the high violent death rate in the U.S. As in the case of the Los Angeles Times article, no mention is made that over half of those violent deaths are suicides. The CNN article mentions gun homicides and gun suicides, but fails to show us the total violent death rate of other countries, not just gun deaths. For example, in Japan, where gun ownership is rare, its total suicide rate is higher than our total suicide rate.

Combining gun suicide and homicide deaths creates a sensational comparison with other countries, but only clouds and distorts the many factors actually behind violent death rates. Looking at only gun deaths, it is easy to get the false impression that, because of guns, the United States is the most violent country on earth.

Rather than being the "league leader" in violent death rates, as the sensational and misleading media reports suggest when focusing exclusively on guns, though the U.S. is still high, its violent death rate is not orders of magnitude higher than other countries. (See also international homicide comparisons.)

The "gun death" statistic is seldom referenced within its proper perspective and context. Also rare is the article that mentions the number of lives saved through defensive gun use and that our homicide rate is at a thirty year low and still declining (FBI Uniform Crime Reports).
Why do you insist upon isolating "gun deaths" from the [other kinds of] deaths that defensive gun use so very often prevents? Why do you prefer [some other kind of] death to "gun death?"

Last edited:
You must have missed the post on another thread where a member described in VERY intimate detail how she was nearly raped. But for her having the .357 magnum that her father got her and putting it to the head of the guy about to rape her, nothing else would have stopped him.

Just something that happens thousands of times a day.

hello, Chris is oblivious to what you say as well as deaf. He's an old acquaintance. Trust me. think Virginia cracker with an inferiority complex as wide as his asshole.

hello, Chris is oblivious to what you say as well as deaf. He's an old acquaintance. Trust me. think Virginia cracker with an inferiority complex as wide as his asshole.

I tend to agree with Chris on every issue. What's he saying about guns?

I think people like me should be able to register and carry a gun legally for protection.

I live near Detroit. I go into Detroit once in awhile too. There is no reason why I should be unprotected. If my car breaks down on the wrong street, I should not only have a cell phone so I can call for help, I should also be able to carry a gun to protect myself until help arrives.

And my grandmother should have a gun in the house for protection. She lives all by herself in Detroit. Been mugged several times. She lives among some animals. Some of the most ruthless murderous people in the country. Detroit is always at the top of the list for most dangerous cities. No reason we should be gunless and sheep when the criminals have guns.

I hate it that my parents don't have a gun in the home. They might one day wish they had one, god forbid.

I have mine hid in my home to where I could grab them quickly if needed, but it would take a long time for an intruder to find them.

Anyways, Chris, what is your point?

These right wingers are probably defending automatic cop killers or something. Do you want guns to be illegal?

Come on Chris, take your thumbs out of your mouth and your ass and let it flow.

Do you want hand guns or other guns to be illegal? What gun laws (proposed and in law already) do you disagree with? You have maybe posted the most drivel on this thread.

Speak up. Chris?

If I had a nickel for every time Chris posts some misleading statistical propaganda about gun ownership, I'd have like four or five dollars by now...

and then some!

Come on Chris, take your thumbs out of your mouth and your ass and let it flow.

Do you want hand guns or other guns to be illegal? What gun laws (proposed and in law already) do you disagree with? You have maybe posted the most drivel on this thread.

Speak up. Chris?

How do thousands of new guns each year get into criminals hands?

I think the gun manufacturers know that their guns are getting into the wrong hands and they lobby Republicans to not pass gun legislation that might solve this problem.

Think about it. Lets say they produce a million guns every year and 800,000 of those guns go to law abiding citizens each year and 200,000 of them end up on the streets, in gang members hands.

Do you think the gun manufacturer would want to solve this problem and lose all the money they make on those extra 200K guns? I think not.

The NRA lobby is one of the biggest lobbyist groups in Washington.

And like with every other industry, profits outweigh everything else when it comes to the GOP and the corporations they serve. Deaths is no exception. Look at tobacco lobbyists.

You should watch Thank You for Not Smoking. Pretty funny.

If I had a nickel for every time Chris posts some misleading statistical propaganda about gun ownership, I'd have like four or five dollars by now...

and then some!

So he's a cut and paste artist of some renown? I think I've seen some of his works hanging around town. I had to use the toilet at a McDonald's and a BurgerKing recently. Looks like a fat guy was in there before me...you could tell because their asses are so fukin' wide they always get shit on the seat and they they are too fukin' fat to bend over and wipe it up without falling face first into the bowl.

I think the gun manufacturers know that their guns are getting into the wrong hands and they lobby Republicans to not pass gun legislation that might solve this problem.
You are entitled to think whatever you want no matter how inane, because colonials in America with guns at their disposal fought to make it that way. Solving a crime problem is no job or concern of the gun manufacturers. Of course they lobby to be able to sell a legal product...D'oh!

Think about it.
NO! You think about IT.

Lets say they produce a million guns every year and 800,000 of those guns go to law abiding citizens each year and 200,000 of them end up on the streets, in gang members hands.

Do you think the gun manufacturer would want to solve this problem and lose all the money they make on those extra 200K guns? I think not.
I would think many of the guns thugs get are stolen. Maybe the gun manufacturers want to stop laws that ban stealing guns too?

captain obvious has stunned me with a fact.

And like with every other industry, profits outweigh everything else when it comes to the GOP and the corporations they serve. Deaths is no exception. Look at tobacco lobbyists.
Detroit and other major cities are controlled by Dems. Do these Dems belong or listen to the big bad Gun people? Oh, I guess you are unaware how many liberals are NRA members? btw, you come across as another white racist scaredy cat ala kirk/Chris

should? bad way to get a point across...telling others what they should do.

free lesson. now maybe you
should go back to spanking the monkey

Think about it. Lets say they produce a million guns every year and 800,000 of those guns go to law abiding citizens each year and 200,000 of them end up on the streets, in gang members hands.

I support the Virginia method of dealing with guns. Project Exile Don't punish or burden gun ownership. Instead punish bad behavior with a gun.

Project Exile was a controversial federal program started in Richmond, Virginia in 1997. Project Exile shifted the prosecution of illegal technical gun possession offenses to federal court, where they carried a mandatory minimum sentence of five years in federal prison under the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, rather than in state court.

The program was since copied by several other cities, sometimes under other names. In Atlanta for example the program was known as FACE 5 (Firearms in Atlanta Can Equal 5 years in federal prison).

The National Rifle Association (NRA) and the Brady Campaign were both early and vocal supporters of Project Exile, as were federal and city officials who claimed that Project Exile helped to reduce firearm-related violence in Richmond by 40 percent. The NRA lobbied the U.S. Congress to help secure $2.3 million for emulation of Exile in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and Camden County, New Jersey where similar firearms-related violence has plagued the communities.
Project Exile

And its follow on program Virginia Exile:
Virginia Exile is the Commonwealth's tough program which carries bail restrictions and imposes a mandatory minimum sentence of five years in a Virginia prison for those who:

* have a prior conviction for a violent felony and are convicted of possessing a firearm;
* are convicted of possessing a firearm on school property with the intent to use it, or displaying it in a threatening manner;
* are convicted of possessing a firearm and Schedule I or II drugs such as cocaine or heroin, or convicted of possessing more than a pound of marijuana with the intent to sell.

Last edited:
I tend to agree with Chris on every issue. What's he saying about guns?

I think people like me should be able to register and carry a gun legally for protection.

I live near Detroit. I go into Detroit once in awhile too. There is no reason why I should be unprotected. If my car breaks down on the wrong street, I should not only have a cell phone so I can call for help, I should also be able to carry a gun to protect myself until help arrives.

And my grandmother should have a gun in the house for protection. She lives all by herself in Detroit. Been mugged several times. She lives among some animals. Some of the most ruthless murderous people in the country. Detroit is always at the top of the list for most dangerous cities. No reason we should be gunless and sheep when the criminals have guns.

I hate it that my parents don't have a gun in the home. They might one day wish they had one, god forbid.

I have mine hid in my home to where I could grab them quickly if needed, but it would take a long time for an intruder to find them.

Anyways, Chris, what is your point?

These right wingers are probably defending automatic cop killers or something. Do you want guns to be illegal?

There are 200 million guns in private hands in this country. Guns will never be illegal.

States and countries with the strictest gun laws have the fewest gun deaths. I would like to see stricter laws especially with respect to handguns.

It is funny though how in love the gun nuts are with their guns when statistics show that guns are a danger to their owners and their families.

Last edited:
Solving a crime problem is no job or concern of the gun manufacturers.
I would think many of the guns thugs get are stolen. Maybe the gun manufacturers want to stop laws that ban stealing guns too?

Detroit and other major cities are controlled by Dems. Do these Dems belong or listen to the big bad Gun people? Oh, I guess you are unaware how many liberals are NRA members? btw, you come across as another white racist scaredy cat ala kirk/Chris

should? bad way to get a point across...telling others what they should do.

free lesson. now maybe you
should go back to spanking the monkey

No, solving crimes is not the gun manufacturers responsibility. It's the governments role/job.

You can think what you want, doesn't make it true. You know they manufacture more guns than are sold legally every year. And it isn't just stolen guns. If it were, then you would be able to show me proof. But the fact is, you know they manufacture and ship guns out in mass quantities and that is resulting in illegal guns getting into criminals hands.

I don't know why you are mad at me. I said I have a gun and think everyone who wants to carry should be able to, provided they don't have a criminal record and they are not crazy. That would increase gun sales too.

I'm just interested in stopping illegal guns from getting into criminals hands. Are you ok with them having these guns that they don't have to register?

Or do you think we shouldn't have to register our guns either. That would be pretty radical.

I'm a liberal who loves guns too, faggot.

I won't tell you what to do anymore, after I tell you to eat a dick. :lol:

I support the Virginia method of dealing with guns. Project Exile Don't punish or burden gun ownership. Instead punish bad behavior with a gun.

Project Exile

yet your signature would make one assume you wouldn't since what you think liberals believe in is nonsense.

The National Rifle Association (NRA) and the Brady Campaign were both early and vocal supporters of Project Exile, as were federal and city officials who claimed that Project Exile helped to reduce firearm-related violence in Richmond by 40 percent. The NRA lobbied the U.S. Congress to help secure $2.3 million for emulation of Exile in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and Camden County, New Jersey where similar firearms-related violence has plagued the communities.

Opposing Project Exile was a coalition consisting of every other pro-gun rights group in the U.S. besides the NRA. A "Project Exile Condemnation Petition" was launched by Brian Puckett of GunTruths.com, Larry Pratt of Gun Owners of America, Angel Shamaya of KeepAndBearArms.com, and former NRA director Russ Howard. Other prominent opponents who were members of this anti-Exile coalition included Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership, the Law Enforcement Alliance of America, Libertarian Party presidential candidate Harry Browne, and sci-fi writer L. Neil Smith.

From the left, Project Exile was condemned by Families Against Mandatory Minimums [1], and opposed by several members of the Congressional Black Caucus on the grounds that in targeting its enforcement at inner city communities such as in Richmond and Atlanta, and the disproportionate effects the federal gun laws' "prohibited possessor" categories have on African-Americans, Project Exile was racist. In testifying against the reliance on federal mandatory minimum sentences in general, U.S. Congressman Bobby Scott (D-VA) noted that Richmond had a smaller drop in crime during the period Exile was in effect than did Norfolk, which did not have Exile. [2]

where was all the liberal opposition? why are you in bed with liberals?

using a Ronald Reagan quote usually leads one to look like a fool ala RR.

Forum List

Back