Liberal-Democrats, you do know that food shortages are serious, right?

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
Biden kind of mentioned that food shortages "gonna be real," but the media didn't follow up on it, like "What? Food shortages? When? How?"

Now, it is starting and starting with infant formula. Does Biden think we're just going to be OK with that? I mean Team Biden, his handlers, not the Big Guy himself, of course.

Real food shortages would lead to civil outbreaks that will make the Democrats' 2020 riots look like Kumbayah campfires. I haven't researched it, but I would bet that there has never been a Democracy or a Republic that survived a famine.

Good God, y'all! What is the end game?

Last edited:
Biden kind of mentioned that food shortages "gonna be real," but the media didn't follow up on it, like "What? Food shortages? When? How?"

Now, it is starting and starting with infant formula. Does Biden think we're just going to be OK with that? I mean Team Biden, his handlers, not the Big Guy himself, of course.

Real food shortages would lead to civil outbreaks that will make the Democrats' 2020 riots look like Kumbayah campfires. I haven't researched it, but I would bet that there has never been a Democracy or a Republic that survived a famine.

Are you aware that food shortage is global ?
Caused by issues started with covid, then the containers, and then ........

Famine? You are confusing the USA with some Banana Republic, a very poor one.

If you are about to starve, let us know . We shall send you some provisions.

Yeah, see that's the way it is when the government is restrained in its interfering with the free market. We're not a banana republic because out government has made it a point to stay out of the food distribution chain.
That's not how it works. The market either is allowed to bring food to us, which it does extremely well, or it is interfered with by people who have no idea how the food supply works.

Why do you think Biden made his prediction of food shortages?

Yeah, see that's the way it is when the government is restrained in its interfering with the free market. We're not a banana republic because out government has made it a point to stay out of the food distribution chain.

That's not how it works. The market either is allowed to bring food to us, which it does extremely well, or it is interfered with by people who have no idea how the food supply works.

Because of all of the problems with the containers, and the truck issues, etc

It does not take a magic ball to predict that there are going to be issues with food distribution when all of those things happen one after the other.

[ Wish to blame Biden, blame all the other countries which are sanctioning Russia over the war on Ukraine, as well ]

President Joe Biden said that the world will experience food shortages as a result of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, and production increases were a subject of discussions at a Group of Seven meeting on Thursday.

“It’s going to be real,” Biden said at a news conference in Brussels. “The price of the sanctions is not just imposed upon Russia. It’s imposed upon an awful lot of countries as well, including European countries and our country as well.”

Ukraine and Russia are both major producers of wheat, in particular, and Kyiv’s government has already warned that the country’s planting and harvest have been severely disrupted by the war.

We're going to see shortages no doubt but primarily that's just going to reduce our options, we're not going to starve.

The formula shortage really isn't a big deal, you can easily make your own formula at home just as has been done for a century.

We didn't even had baby formula in wide use in the sixties and early seventies, mothers either used what nature gave them or made it with canned or dry milk adding necessities like fats, vitamins, and minerals.

Are people going to get pissed off about limited dietary choices and not having an endless supply of formula? You bet.

Just keep in mind that to a very large extent this shortage was created by this administration with recalls and huge buys of formula to send to the border and as part of relief packages to Ukraine.

You can't reduce the supply while increasing demand without creating some serious problems, it would have been helpful if the WH had anyone in it or advising them that understands industrial production of such things.

Covid did not do one damned thing to hurt food production in the US nor production of baby formula that is made with domestic products.

The future serious food shortages that will hit next year and through at least 2023 will be due to reduced harvests of fruits, nuts, and grains in the US this year and next if not beyond due to fertilizer shortages caused by the war.

Because of all of the problems with the containers, and the truck issues, etc

It does not take a magic ball to predict that there are going to be issues with food distribution when all of those things happen one after the other.
Bullshit, we're talking about domestically produced products, not anything dependent on shipping containers.

[ Wish to blame Biden, blame all the other countries which are sanctioning Russia over the war on Ukraine, as well ]

President Joe Biden said that the world will experience food shortages as a result of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, and production increases were a subject of discussions at a Group of Seven meeting on Thursday.

“It’s going to be real,” Biden said at a news conference in Brussels. “The price of the sanctions is not just imposed upon Russia. It’s imposed upon an awful lot of countries as well, including European countries and our country as well.”

Ukraine and Russia are both major producers of wheat, in particular, and Kyiv’s government has already warned that the country’s planting and harvest have been severely disrupted by the war.

It's not the sanctions it's the cost and danger associated with shipping vessels through a war zone and the inability for Ukrainian farmers to harvest their crops in the middle of a shooting war.

We're going to see shortages no doubt but primarily that's just going to reduce our options, we're not going to starve.

The formula shortage really isn't a big deal, you can easily make your own formula at home just as has been done for a century.
Yes, and that is what we will do again. One of American's great talents has been finding work-arounds for government idiocy. In France, no doubt they will simply say, "Zere is no formula to be had and M. Macron assures us that he can do nothing. Mais Oui, there are too many babees in ze world anyway. C'est L'vie."

That may be the only factor that keeps us from taking to the streets.
We didn't even had baby formula in wide use in the sixties and early seventies, mothers either used what nature gave them or made it with canned or dry milk adding necessities like fats, vitamins, and minerals.

Are people going to get pissed off about limited dietary choices and not having an endless supply of formula? You bet.

Just keep in mind that to a very large extent this shortage was created by this administration with recalls and huge buys of formula to send to the border and as part of relief packages to Ukraine.

You can't reduce the supply while increasing demand without creating some serious problems, it would have been helpful if the WH had anyone in it or advising them that understands industrial production of such things.
I hope you're right, about choices being reduced rather than starvation. It will be interesting to see the left's reaction. They lump mass starvation all the way down to a parent not being one hundred percent sure that they will have a job next month in the same phrase: "food insecurity." If real hunger hits America, as they have been claiming already exists, who will they blame?

People used to speak of Ukraine being the breadbasket of the world as it that is a point of pride for them. Maybe it is, but we should never have allowed ourselves to be dependent on Ukrainian wheat anymore than on OPEC oil.

American farmers can grow all we need and much much more, if government keeps its mitts off.

People used to speak of Ukraine being the breadbasket of the world as it that is a point of pride for them. Maybe it is, but we should never have allowed ourselves to be dependent on Ukrainian wheat anymore than on OPEC oil.

American farmers can grow all we need and much much more, if government keeps its mitts off.
I do not understand what the issue with the government is. The US is a major Exporter of wheat to the world. Third in the world. Therefore the US is not dependent on others for it.

Wheat is produced in almost every state in the United States, and is the principal cereal grain grown in the country.[1] The type and quantity vary between regions. The US is ranked third in production volume of wheat, with almost 58 million tons produced in the 2012–2013 growing season, behind only China and India (But the combined production of all European Union nations is larger than that of China[2]). The US is ranked first in crop export volume; almost 50% of its total wheat production is exported.

The United States Department of Agriculture defines eight official classes of wheat: durum wheat, hard red spring wheat, hard red winter wheat, soft red winter wheat, hard white wheat, soft white wheat, unclassed wheat, and mixed wheat.[3] Winter wheat accounts for 70 to 80 percent of total production in the US, with the largest amounts produced in Kansas (10.8 million tons) and North Dakota (9.8 million tons). The US hard red spring wheat crop is exported to over 70 countries each year to the extent of 55%. Of the total wheat produced in the country, 50% is exported, valued at US$9 billion.[4]

-------------------
This is what the US exports from Ukraine:

What does the US buy from Ukraine?

U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Ukraine totaled $143 million in 2019. Leading categories include: fruit & vegetable juices ($48 million), other vegetable oils ($31 million), snack foods ($12 million), other dairy products ($2 million), and processed fruit & vegetables ($918 thousand).

---------------
No wheat. I do not understand your mention of the US being dependent on Ukrainian wheat.

What makes you think baby formula is the only food source for babies? The shortage stems from contaminated formula it isn't due to COVID or democrats.

I have had no problem buying food

Where does the US get wheat from?

U.S. imports of wheat grain, mostly from Canada, are small but have grown from less than 0.1 million metric tons in the 1970s to an average of 2.6 million metric tons over the last 10 years. Imports of wheat flour and products have averaged nearly 1 million metric tons annually over the last 10 years.

I haven't researched it, but I would bet that there has never been a Democracy or a Republic that survived a famine. Good God, y'all! What is the end game?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why did he make that prediction? Easy. Because it will or is happening. NOT in America (forget the stupid baby-formula brouhaha. That is due to a shutting down --for safety --of the largest plant for it, in Sturgis, Michigan. 4 babies had become seriously ill so the Feds shut it down for sanitizing.)

I believe what Biden was referring to was for shortages that would occur throughout the rest of the world because: (as already alluded to by others)
1. Ukraine can't ship what it has in it silos....due to rail issues and blockade of its ports on the Black Sea and Sea of Azov .....by Russia.
2. Ukraine can't put this season's crop seed into the ground because of.....well, because of war.
3. Russia can't ship its excess grain because of the sanctions.
4. Russia can't ship its fertilizers (they are the world's largest exporter of fertilizer)....due to sanctions.

In short, one doesn't need to be the President of the United States of America to understand when major suppliers are taken off the market there will be disruptions in the normal practices of, in this case, agriculture.

And it is worldwide agriculture that feeds the world.
America's agriculture can and does feed America just fine.
Hand-wringing over baby-formula as a precursor to famine across America is nonsense.

IMHO

Who are the largest producers of wheat in the world?
  • China (134,340,630 tonnes)
  • India (98,510,000 Tonnes)
  • Russia (85,863,132 Tonnes)
  • United States (47,370,880 Tonnes)
  • France (36,924,938 Tonnes)
  • Australia (31,818,744 Tonnes)
  • Canada (29,984,200 Tonnes)
  • Pakistan (26,674,000 Tonnes)
  • Ukraine (26,208,980 Tonnes)
  • Germany (24,481,600 Tonnes)

What about it? Blame Trump for wasting away all of 2020 ignoring the pandemic. I don't blame the current guy for trying his best.

• Funny
Reactions: DBA
I haven’t seen any shortages around here.

Maybe you people need to move out of the sticks.

Forum List

Back