Liberals Storm California's Bedrooms

martybegan

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2010
Another interesting article:

Liberals Storm California s Bedrooms RealClearPolitics

I have a slightly different take on California’s recent decision to regulate college sex. Don’t get me wrong: I think it’s beyond idiotic, unworkable, even borderline Orwellian. We’ll get to all that.

But I also think it’s incredibly useful. You see, for years I’ve been railing and ranting about the ridiculous myth that liberalism is socially libertarian; that liberals are “live and let live” types simply defending themselves against judgmental conservatives, the real aggressors in the culture war.

This strikes me as extremely understated, but the sentiment is right. Some defenders of the law say it doesn’t really matter because it will have an effect only when women accuse men of sexual assault. “The law has no bearing on the vast majority of sexual encounters,” feminist writer Amanda Marcotte reassures us. “It only applies when a student files a sexual assault complaint.”

Never mind that it will also likely change the standard of proof in such situations, making it much easier to charge — and administratively convict — students for rape based solely on an allegation. Don’t worry about false accusations, says Think Progress’s Tara Culp-Ressler, they amount to only “about 2 to 8 percent of cases.” Tell that to people who fall into the 2 to 8 percent.

I have a hard enough time just watching out who I have sex with when living in a county where it is mostly populated by my kinfolk...

Forum List

Back