🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Long Island University-Brooklyn to Drop “Blackbirds” Nickname Because … Racism

I guess Smurfs will be all butthurt over Bluebirds.

Do we have a 400 year history of oppressing, enslaving and treating Smurfs like second class citizens?

Oh, that's right. We don't because their fictional.

Do we have a 400 year history of oppressing, enslaving and treating Smurfs like second class citizens?

1. Smurfs are routinely mocked and laughed at.
2. We don't have a 400 year history of oppressing anyone.
3. Birds didn't do it.
4. Virtue Signalling doesn't make positive change.
5. College students need to learn to act post pubescent.

I hope they didn't teach law.

9780314844897_p0_v1_s550x406.jpg

1. Smurfs are routinely mocked and laughed at.
2. We don't have a 400 year history of oppressing anyone.
3. Birds didn't do it.
4. Virtue Signalling doesn't make positive change.
5. College students need to learn to act post pubescent.

I hope they didn't teach law.

I hope you aren't trying to argue that Smurfs actually exist.

We do have a 400 year history of racism from when they brought those people over in chains to when LaQuan McDonald was shot in the back 16 times, and the guy who did it got 3 years in prison at a Club Fed.

Their college, if they don't want to be known by a racist nickname, that's their prerogative.

The alums should just stop giving financial support to the school.

Okay. Then students should be given a discount on tuition if they object to the Racist team name and they object to it...

That will work.

Let's get real. Colleges change mascots and team names all the time.

If you are going to charge students $36,000 a year to attend your university, they pretty much have a right to any name they want.
.....so you argue even if it is nonsensical/stupid/etc they should do it.......???!!!!!
I've seen this before on USMB and other places

.....so you argue even if it is nonsensical/stupid/etc they should do it.......???!!!!!

It's their university. They are the ones who are expected to show up for games and cheer for their teams... they should feel comfortable about what they are cheering for.

It seems the people who are upset about this name change don't go to this school....

It's their university. They are the ones who are expected to show up for games and cheer for their teams... they should feel comfortable about what they are cheering for.

It seems the people who are upset about this name change don't go to this school....
so even if it is stupid--let's do it !!!!!

so they can't use the term ''black hole'' in science class?
Dallas County officials spar over 'black hole' comment | Dallas City Hall | Dallas News
''fried chicken''
Fuzzy Zoeller: My Tiger Woods comment was joke gone awry
vanilla
chocolate
watermelon
zoo
etc

so they can't use the term ''black hole'' in science class?

Since it's not a particularly accurate term, why not?

It isn't "black" or a "hole".

The proper scientific term is "hypermass" (that the atoms are so tightly condensed that not even light can escape the gravity.)

A very unwise poster, with a background steeped in lying, just recently advised the class, “They could at least learn pronouns and articles, which seems to have eluded you as a skill.”

I hope you aren't trying to argue that Smurfs actually exist.

We do have a 400 year history of racism from when they brought those people over in chains to when LaQuan McDonald was shot in the back 16 times, and the guy who did it got 3 years in prison at a Club Fed.

Their college, if they don't want to be known by a racist nickname, that's their prerogative.
No matter how stupid an argument some group of race-baiters and/or perpetual victims make, we can count on the left to make up a justification and pretend it's valid.

Yeah... Democrats and their leftist foremothers have a centuries old history of racism. Everybody knows that.

Nobody is oppressed by having a bird mascot.

Since it's not a particularly accurate term, why not?

It isn't "black" or a "hole".

The proper scientific term is "hypermass" (that the atoms are so tightly condensed that not even light can escape the gravity.)
If you want to be a little snot about it, nothing is the color to see. You see the colors reflected off of it (if any).

Asians need to have a nationwide protest against the yellow bellied sapsucker. It's racist and homophobic.
MN DNR changed the official name of Eurasian Carp to Invasive Carp since Eurasian is offensive apparently. Never mind the fact of the damn fishes place of origination.

If you want to be a little snot about it, nothing is the color to see. You see the colors reflected off of it (if any).

So you admit, "Black Hole" is inaccurate, and could be considered offensive to black folks... thanks for playing.

MN DNR changed the official name of Eurasian Carp to Invasive Carp since Eurasian is offensive apparently. Never mind the fact of the damn fishes place of origination.

Except they weren't called "Eurasian Carp", they were called "Asian Carp". And, yeah, it was offensive.

This is why liberalism is a mental disorder. An unknown university, not even in the top 100 in the country decides to "get on the map" by denying the fact that Blackbird is actually a biological classification for a species of a bird. I guess the kids get to go home and brag to their Libtard Leftcoast friend and families "see what we did?!"

Blackbird - Wikipedia

What about Crows, though?

Next they need to protest blackbirds. Then brown sparrows. Throw a few black widow spiders in tobe not only racist but sexist.

What about the gay black Widow spiders? Might as well make it homophobe, too!

True story:

At least ten years ago, in I guess second or third grade, we were doing the hand clapping game Miss Mary Mack. You know it. Lyrics below:

Miss Mary Mack Mack Mack
All dressed in black black black
With silver buttons buttons buttons
All down her back back back....etc

Little black boy turns and whispers something to his neighbor. Neighbor gasps then tells me, horrified, "we can't do this song. It's racist."

I give them both my BEST teacher eye and say, "Miss Mary Mack's DRESS is black. She is WEARING black. It's a color."

Just like that. It's a color. How 'bout that.

I'm always riding that line....too bad

We shouldn't do any color songs.

Some people are color blind.

or any songs about food.

Some people are anorexic.

Etc.

Forum List

Back