🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Long overdue..

Ben Thomson

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2020
The Constitution clearly states the authority to declare/start a war with another country rest solely with congress. However, congress in a shameless capitulation to national anger over 9/11, gave up that authority to the executive branch with the War Powers Act. The result is that the POTUS can now, for all intents and purposes, get us in a war all by himself. Time to rescind that law...Debate Over Presidential War Powers Sets Up Test for a Divided GOP

We avoid big wars by flexing our muscle with smaller military actions. If we bomb the crap out of a third world country every 5 or 7 years, other countries take note and realize they shouldn't screw around with us.

That used to be acceptable back when wars were slow almost seasonal affairs. ICBMs and other instant attack weapons makes it necessary to have someone to decide very quickly that something must be done. It is correct that the president must have broad powers to defend the nation. Sucks that the power has been abused. In every case congress has been complicit in continuing hostilities.

I would like to see an intelligent debate in congress and with in both major parties on the issue. As for me I agree Congress should be the one decide even if they have to call them all in at odd hours or holidays. President should address them with there argument for war then leave and let them debate and decide.

Yeah but both George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush sought and received permission form congress to use American Troops in a combat arena. Democrat icon Harry Truman sent Troops to Korea on an executive order. LBJ used a faked crisis to sent Troops to Vietnam and Bill Clinton bypassed congress and launched a bombing campaign on a defenseless country in Europe when he was caught with his pants down. Why should this divide the GOP?

We avoid big wars by flexing our muscle with smaller military actions. If we bomb the crap out of a third world country every 5 or 7 years, other countries take note and realize they shouldn't screw around with us.
Or...we can extend police actions out for 20 years resulting in the death and displacement of millions. The spending of trillions in tax dollars, and the repeal of rights for everyone.

Murika MFERS!

We fuck it all up!

I am not sure which country has avoided screwing with us that wanted to, so the theory does not appear to work.

I would like to see an intelligent debate in congress and with in both major parties on the issue. As for me I agree Congress should be the one decide even if they have to call them all in at odd hours or holidays. President should address them with there argument for war then leave and let them debate and decide.
First of all what do you mean by "war"? Most of the time these days it's drones or squads directed against insurgents, rebels, warlords and other bad guys who operate beyond our reach. Sometimes troops are deployed as advisors to direct locals. Sometimes we simply send money and weapons.

Yeah but both George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush sought and received permission form congress to use American Troops in a combat arena. Democrat icon Harry Truman sent Troops to Korea on an executive order. LBJ used a faked crisis to sent Troops to Vietnam and Bill Clinton bypassed congress and launched a bombing campaign on a defenseless country in Europe when he was caught with his pants down. Why should this divide the GOP?
George H.W. Bush did. The son of a bush got authorization on a lie of WMD that did not exist and nobody ever told him to institute regime change and destabilize the entire region. Nation building is not our strong suit.

The Constitution clearly states the authority to declare/start a war with another country rest solely with congress. However, congress in a shameless capitulation to national anger over 9/11, gave up that authority to the executive branch with the War Powers Act. The result is that the POTUS can now, for all intents and purposes, get us in a war all by himself. Time to rescind that law...Debate Over Presidential War Powers Sets Up Test for a Divided GOP

There's good reason for that debate. Our current nuclear doctrine was developed during the Trump administration. It gives the president the military option to launch nuclear weapons at Russia, China or North Korea if one of those countries was determined to have been behind a cyber-attack...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2021/07/09/cyberattack-ransomware-nuclear-war/

President Trump displayed a monumental amount of restraint with Russia, China, and North Korea during his presidency. He favored face to face meetings with their leaders, and attempting to work out deals.

Biden on the other hand, cannot be trusted with that amount of power. I would imagine that even much of his administration is aware of that.

First of all what do you mean by "war"? Most of the time these days it's drones or squads directed against insurgents, rebels, warlords and other bad guys who operate beyond our reach. Sometimes troops are deployed as advisors to direct locals. Sometimes we simply send money and weapons.
I agree with you on that. If its possible get congress approval for any military action in another nation. I understand some situations need a quick response , maybe at least let congressional leaders in on the situation as it happens.

George H.W. Bush did. The son of a bush got authorization on a lie of WMD that did not exist and nobody ever told him to institute regime change and destabilize the entire region. Nation building is not our strong suit.
The lie is that WMD's were the primary reason for using combat troops in Iraq. As a matter of fact Bill Clinton said the same thing about WMD's in Iraq and so did the CIA until they didn't. The reason Congress gave George W. Bush permission to use combat troops was to enforce about a hundred violations of U.N. sanctions by the Saddam regime. What the hell did Bill Clinton use as an excuse to bomb Europe?

I agree with you on that. If its possible get congress approval for any military action in another nation. I understand some situations need a quick response , maybe at least let congressional leaders in on the situation as it happens.
That's what happens.

The Constitution clearly states the authority to declare/start a war with another country rest solely with congress. However, congress in a shameless capitulation to national anger over 9/11, .....

The War Powers Act was the law for almost 3 decades before 9/11

Forum List

Back