Louisiana's most visited plantation removes sign declaring slaves were 'happy & well taken care of'

11231660-6830203-image-a-27_1553093024818.jpg

An official sign declaring that slaves were 'well taken-care of and happy' at Louisiana's most-visited historical site - a former cotton plantation - has been taken down.

It's unclear how long the sign was up at the state-owned and operated Rosedown Plantation, which sits on 374 acres in St. Francisville.

It was on display in the plantation's detached kitchen as part of an exhibit called 'Slave Life at Rosedown.'

About 850 people had been enslaved there before the outbreak of the Civil War, including newborn babies and the elderly. The sign said they lived in 'prettily built and very comfortable' cabins, where they were awoken at 4am, and had 'a natural musical instinct' that was showcased at Christmas.

11231652-6830203-image-a-28_1553093066137.jpg

It goes on...

Source: Louisiana-owned plantation removes sign about 'happy' slaves | Daily Mail Online

My question is...why are so many whites so delusional about the worst thing that happened in America, and America's original sin?

I don't know any that are.

I think a better question is, why are you delusional, that you think your life is now any better off?

66 people have been killed in Chicago since the start of the year, and by far most were black. Name the person who is now better off in life, because of this all important removal of a sign? Name the person who didn't die in black-on-black violence, because of this super important event in Louisiana?

I don't know how you view yourself MarcATL, but when I see the threads you start, by far I find myself feeling only pity... I'm watching someone literally wasting his life to accomplish nothing.
What does one have to do with the other?
There was violence in the 1860s
Mostly white on white

Yeah, and whites did not blame blacks, for their situation in life, did they?

Well, slavery is long long over. So how does this deal in Louisiana, help anything.... ANYTHING, with today's black people?

Honestly, what is the goal here? What purpose does this serve?

Does MarcATL think that now after all these years, by removing that insignificant comment, mean that a bunch of white people are sitting around "Oh crap! Here I was sure all the slaves of the past lived like royalty! I am now so enlightened!"...

And if he does not believe that this irrelevant action will serve any purpose, then isn't there more important things to spend your time, money, and effort on? You know... like trying to reduce or end black on black violence that killed 66 people in Chicago since the start of this year alone?

Which area can someone invest their efforts that would have any value?

At least when I come on here and argue the economic effects of the minimum wage, there are people on here that simply don't know what they are. They could actually learn something. In fact I've had people on this forum say "I never knew that" about various topics. And I have learned something from engaging in the debate too.

Do tell.... how many white people, or any people anywhere, are super enlightened by this thread? How many people were wandering around thinking "man slaves had it so good in chains"..... and now have the blessing of knowledge bestowed upon them?

Nothing can help black people. They are culturally programmed to kill one another. They are basically a tribal people. That they were removed from their tribes and forcefully deprived of cultural heritage has not affected the cultural drive. They simply formed new tribes. They have the Blood, Crips, Black disciples, Black Nation. Now they have tribes and fight one another just as they have done throughout history.

Nothing can help black people. They are culturally programmed to kill one another. They are basically a tribal people. That they were removed from their tribes and forcefully deprived of cultural heritage has not affected the cultural drive. They simply formed new tribes. They have the Blood, Crips, Black disciples, Black Nation. Now they have tribes and fight one another just as they have done throughout history.

MarcATL

You see that post above? ^^^^That is what you need to be changing. Stop worrying about some irrelevant sign somewhere in Louisianan.

How do you do that?

It's not by what I've seen on this forum, where some black guy comes on here and screams "Whites kill each other too!" and then lists some examples.

That doesn't change the perception of anyone on anything.

The way you change this perception, is by reforming the culture, and having black neighborhoods become the safest neighborhoods in the entire country.

My father is a former police officer. We have a neighborhood of Asian people, mostly from Korea. Had a Korean church, and most of the homes were all Korean families.

The police themselves would say, they never have to go there. Never. One of the safest communities in central Ohio.

That should be how they describe black communities. White people should be saying "I wish I could live over there. It's safe over there. There is no crime there".

That is what you need to fix. Spend your energy on that.

An official sign declaring that slaves were 'well taken-care of and happy' at Louisiana's most-visited historical site - a former cotton plantation - has been taken down.

It's unclear how long the sign was up at the state-owned and operated Rosedown Plantation, which sits on 374 acres in St. Francisville.

It was on display in the plantation's detached kitchen as part of an exhibit called 'Slave Life at Rosedown.'

About 850 people had been enslaved there before the outbreak of the Civil War, including newborn babies and the elderly. The sign said they lived in 'prettily built and very comfortable' cabins, where they were awoken at 4am, and had 'a natural musical instinct' that was showcased at Christmas.

It goes on...

Source: Louisiana-owned plantation removes sign about 'happy' slaves | Daily Mail Online

My question is...why are so many whites so delusional about the worst thing that happened in America, and America's original sin?

I think a better question is, why are you delusional, that you think your life is now any better off?

66 people have been killed in Chicago since the start of the year, and by far most were black. Name the person who is now better off in life, because of this all important removal of a sign? Name the person who didn't die in black-on-black violence, because of this super important event in Louisiana?

I don't know how you view yourself MarcATL, but when I see the threads you start, by far I find myself feeling only pity... I'm watching someone literally wasting his life to accomplish nothing.
Mostly white on white

Well, slavery is long long over. So how does this deal in Louisiana, help anything.... ANYTHING, with today's black people?

Does MarcATL think that now after all these years, by removing that insignificant comment, mean that a bunch of white people are sitting around "Oh crap! Here I was sure all the slaves of the past lived like royalty! I am now so enlightened!"...

And if he does not believe that this irrelevant action will serve any purpose, then isn't there more important things to spend your time, money, and effort on? You know... like trying to reduce or end black on black violence that killed 66 people in Chicago since the start of this year alone?

At least when I come on here and argue the economic effects of the minimum wage, there are people on here that simply don't know what they are. They could actually learn something. In fact I've had people on this forum say "I never knew that" about various topics. And I have learned something from engaging in the debate too.

Do tell.... how many white people, or any people anywhere, are super enlightened by this thread? How many people were wandering around thinking "man slaves had it so good in chains"..... and now have the blessing of knowledge bestowed upon them?

The goal is to prevent glorifying slavery at a historic plantation

No, the slaves were not happily singing and dancing in their beautiful slave quarters. Slavery was a stain on the south. 40 percent of the population of the confederacy was in bondage

It goes on...

Mostly white on white

No, the slaves were not happily singing and dancing in their beautiful slave quarters. Slavery was a stain on the south. 40 percent of the population of the confederacy was in bondage

Oh yes! Everyone thought they were happily singing and dancing in their beautiful slave quarters.

Please, do tell... where are these millions of people who glorify slavery, and thought the slaves were singing and dancing in their quarters, who are now so much more enlightened?

Where? I've been to the east coast, to the west coast, to Canada, down south, and so on. Where are these people who glorified slavery, and thought slaves were singing and dancing? Where are these people? Bring them on here. I'll listen.

I have a theory for you... whatever few people there are that might even think that, I wager most have never been to that plantation, and that not one has changed their opinion because you changed that sign. I still doubt you could find even one person that really believed that nonsense you posted about glorified slavery and singing and dancing.

Again... you have accomplished absolutely nothing.

Slavery was more popular in the South, but it was a nationwide phenomenon in America. The idea that the "south was evil and the north was good" is bullshit which actually has more to do with the 21st Century than the mid 19th before the Deplorables passed the 13th Amendment.

If the South hadn't turned their back on the Democrats over the past 20 years, that kind of demonization of the south wouldn't be occurring .

It goes on...

Mostly white on white

Oh yes! Everyone thought they were happily singing and dancing in their beautiful slave quarters.

Please, do tell... where are these millions of people who glorify slavery, and thought the slaves were singing and dancing in their quarters, who are now so much more enlightened?

Where? I've been to the east coast, to the west coast, to Canada, down south, and so on. Where are these people who glorified slavery, and thought slaves were singing and dancing? Where are these people? Bring them on here. I'll listen.

I have a theory for you... whatever few people there are that might even think that, I wager most have never been to that plantation, and that not one has changed their opinion because you changed that sign. I still doubt you could find even one person that really believed that nonsense you posted about glorified slavery and singing and dancing.

One such person is Tipsy. Remember her original post about slavery? Here it is in case you've forgotten...
"Most people would enjoy slavery. They only long for a just and generous master.

Imagine to be provided housing, clothing, medical care, food, a guaranteed job. The evils of competition and the destruction of meritocracy don't exist. The master is the sole provider of the necessities of life."

And I agree with you about making your neighborhoods safe, but there are a lot of bad white neighborhoods I wouldn't want to be alone in too. It takes a community to clean up a neighborhood and a lot of effort. It's kind of hard to do it though if the residents in the neighborhood are already strapped because of working two, maybe three jobs and don't have a lot of time or energy left over.

Trump has been an absolute benefit to Americans. Only TRUE as in TRUE Americans know this.

It's been my experience that those engaged in "purity tests" are the most corrupt.
The persons who are easily corruptible are the ones begging for hand outs. They will do anything for a buck.

The people who are most corruptible are the ones who have no basic honesty or decency, and who would place profits above all else. The peole who genuinely would do "anything for a buck", will always work for it before all else. It is only the lazy or the dishonest who don't want others to give them all of their money. Like Donald Trump laughing that his investors lost everything but he walked away from his first bankruptcy with $40 million in his pocket.

Or who would do the bidding of a foreign dictator to destory his own country, so he could get richer.

And I agree with you about making your neighborhoods safe, but there are a lot of bad white neighborhoods I wouldn't want to be alone in too. It takes a community to clean up a neighborhood and a lot of effort. It's kind of hard to do it though if the residents in the neighborhood are already strapped because of working two, maybe three jobs and don't have a lot of time or energy left over.

I think a lot of my fellow honkies have fear of African Americans

It due, IMHO, to the fact that lot of whites really don't understand black culture and black language. I think we need to start teaching Ebonics in the government school system to help bridge the chasm of misunderstanding.

If they taught kids how to fist bump, and basic black phrases like "hey mutha fucca " we would get a long a lot better.

It goes on...

Mostly white on white

Again, in case you blinked ---- see post 176. Go learn sump'm.

And then you'll know what the propaganda-transmitter statues are all about. As RW put it above:

Same thing with the statues, the monuments, the perverted history books. All part of the same cleanup. You see son, the Civil War didn't just end with the firing of the last physical shot.

And you wonder how I know you're not a lawyer, and have no knowledge of American law. Racist, ignorant and terminally stupid, and a supposedly hard working and successful lawyer who nevertheless has over 28,000 posts on this message board in 2 1/2 years. Where do you find the time with that massively successful law practice that you run entirely ALONE, with no help from anyone. That's nearly 1000 posts a month - more than 30 a day - 7 days a week. You must multitask like nobody's business.

The exact same thing is now happening with white people in middle America - the gangs, the violence. Except in middle America it's the white motorcycle gangs, Hell's Angels, Desperados, and others. Then there's the factory workers who have lost hope and are addicted to opioids. 40 years of Republican tax and economic policies selling out the working people of America to the corporate elites, destroying the middle class, and leaving working Americans broke, desperate, and angry. 40 years of stagnant wages and increasing robotics and automation replacing American production workers. No retraining, no effort at rejigging the economy for the 21st Century. Instead of investing in clean power, and training for robotics, Trump is trying to bring back coal and steel, and all of the evils of mining - pollution, black lung, and early death.

It's not working.

And you wonder how I know you're not a lawyer, and have no knowledge of American law. Racist, ignorant and terminally stupid, and a supposedly hard working and successful lawyer who nevertheless has over 28,000 posts on this message board in 2 1/2 years. Where do you find the time with that massively successful law practice that you run entirely ALONE, with no help from anyone. That's nearly 1000 posts a month - more than 30 a day - 7 days a week. You must multitask like nobody's business.

The exact same thing is now happening with white people in middle America - the gangs, the violence. Except in middle America it's the white motorcycle gangs, Hell's Angels, Desperados, and others. Then there's the factory workers who have lost hope and are addicted to opioids. 40 years of Republican tax and economic policies selling out the working people of America to the corporate elites, destroying the middle class, and leaving working Americans broke, desperate, and angry. 40 years of stagnant wages and increasing robotics and automation replacing American production workers. No retraining, no effort at rejigging the economy for the 21st Century. Instead of investing in clean power, and training for robotics, Trump is trying to bring back coal and steel, and all of the evils of mining - pollution, black lung, and early death.

It's not working.
And those white guys have no rights compared to you.

I think a lot of my fellow honkies have fear of African Americans

It due, IMHO, to the fact that lot of whites really don't understand black culture and black language. I think we need to start teaching Ebonics in the government school system to help bridge the chasm of misunderstanding.

If they taught kids how to fist bump, and basic black phrases like "hey mutha fucca " we would get a long a lot better.
I hope you're being sarcastic because I didn't find that the least bit amusing. I am not afraid of blacks but am leary about going to the movies, or to a concert, or even to a school to drop off some supplies I am donating for fear of a white shooter who decided that it was a good day to commit a mass murder.

There are good and bad in every race with no exception. Many times, environment has a lot to do with it as you have pointed out, and many times someone has been influenced by a radical who has managed to tap into their fears and make them believe everyone is evil except those within their fear based group. Many times too it's due to mental illness. This isn't a cut and dried, one size fits all problem and the exact same thing can be said for finding a solution. I don't have the answer and probably no one does, but there are many out there trying to help correct some of the problems and I salute them.

It's not working.
By your first paragraph you must have read my mind as I was thinking the exact same thing.

Mostly white on white

One such person is Tipsy. Remember her original post about slavery? Here it is in case you've forgotten...
"Most people would enjoy slavery. They only long for a just and generous master.

Imagine to be provided housing, clothing, medical care, food, a guaranteed job. The evils of competition and the destruction of meritocracy don't exist. The master is the sole provider of the necessities of life."

What I said is still true. And of course I never mentioned any race at all. Race isn't necessary. The natural state of the slave transcends race.

It's not working.
Good Lord but you are a world class dipshit. My office closed in 2009 when I retired.

You must have shed your brain in your last period.

It's not working.
Good Lord but you are a world class dipshit. My office closed in 2009 when I retired.

Ignoring your total lack of legal knowledge, and the US Justice system, not to mention your inability to properly refute debating points (something even the most incompetent lawyer should be able to do with ease), still leads me to believe you are not and have never been a lawyer, and you innate misgynism makes me also doubt that you're a woman.

It goes on...

It’s because in the Bible, Jesus approves of slavery. So they assume it must be OK.
I even met a black pastor one time years ago who said that we don’t always understand God. And if Jesus says it’s OK then he has his reasons. Who are we to question?

This is Timothy giving us Jesus words.

Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them. (1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT)

It's not working.

Ignoring your total lack of legal knowledge, and the US Justice system, not to mention your inability to properly refute debating points (something even the most incompetent lawyer should be able to do with ease), still leads me to believe you are not and have never been a lawyer, and you innate misgynism makes me also doubt that you're a woman.
There is nothing to debate. You make no points. You whine. You bring out all your little girl posturings to display for some "Daddy". When opposed your entire refutation is "you can't do that. I smell like estrogen!"

You are a slave. Born to it. Give me free medical care, baby sitting, housing, increase my free EBT card balance. Pay my utility bills, it's cold, it's hot. It is women like you who have increased the burden on women like me. For crissakes, go. Sell yourselves on the open market. Some of us have worked for a living and don't want to be tainted by your broad bush.

Forum List

Back