Lying about your address to get into a better school will land you in Jail

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
Ohio Mom Kelley Williams-Bolar Jailed for Sending Kids to Better School District - ABC News

An Ohio mother's attempt to provide her daughters with a better education has landed her behind bars.

Kelley Williams-Bolar was convicted of lying about her residency to get her daughters into a better school district.

"It's overwhelming. I'm exhausted," she said. "I did this for them, so there it is. I did this for them."

Williams-Bolar decided four years ago to send her daughters to a highly ranked school in neighboring Copley-Fairlawn School District.

But it wasn't her Akron district of residence, so her children were ineligible to attend school there, even though her father lived within the district's boundaries.

The school district accused Williams-Bolar of lying about her address, falsifying records and, when confronted, having her father file false court papers to get around the system.

Williams-Bolar said she did it to keep her children safe and that she lived part-time with her dad.

"When my home got broken into, I felt it was my duty to do something else," Williams-Bolar said.

While her children are no longer attending schools in the Copley-Fairlawn District, school officials said she was cheating because her daughters received a quality education without paying taxes to fund it.

"Those dollars need to stay home with our students," school district officials said.

Sentence Intended as Deterrent
The district hired a private investigator, who shot video showing Williams-Bolar driving her children into the district.

The school officials asked her to pay $30,000 in back tuition.

Williams-Bolar refused and was indicted and convicted of falsifying her residency records.

She was sentenced last week to 10 days in county jail and put on three years of probation.

She will also be required to perform community service, the Beacon Journal reported.

Williams-Bolar said she was being singled out.

"I don't think they wanted money ? ," Williams-Bolar said. "They wanted me to be an example."

Presiding Judge Patricia Cosgrove acknowledged as much.

"I felt that some punishment or deterrent was needed for other individuals who might think to defraud the various school districts," Cosgrove said.

Ohio Mom Kelley Williams-Bolar Jailed for Sending Kids to Better School District - ABC News

I believe Florida doesn't have that problem.

But..... We're Florida. A lot further advanced on the evolutionary scale

I can't figure out why people fight for freedom to place a child in an environment that will benefit the child.

The dad lived in the district and will will damn well guarantee you, if her kid was a good football player, none of this would have happened. Hire a PI? Just dumb, plain dumb.

We need school choice, we need private school alternatives, we need charter schools, we need choice for our children.

I can't figure out why people fight for freedom to place a child in an environment that will benefit the child.

The dad lived in the district and will will damn well guarantee you, if her kid was a good football player, none of this would have happened. Hire a PI? Just dumb, plain dumb.

We need school choice, we need private school alternatives, we need charter schools, we need choice for our children.
You need to follow the rules, and pay up if you won't deal with the schools we already pay for.

Move to Florida, we have School Choice.

On 2nd thought, there's an even better solution.....

Send scum of the earth, union-fellating dimocrap politicans to Hell where they belong.

"When my home got broken into, I felt it was my duty to do something else," Williams-Bolar said.
Radical idea for ya, don't lie, move.

Or work to improve the neighborhood you live in.

I have to say however, the neighborhood you live in should not effect the education each child receives.
For that to be true we'd have to change the entire method of funding schools, which I am perfectly okay with but if you are whitey and you moved exactly because you wanted good schools, you are not so much.

You need to follow the rules, and pay up if you won't deal with the schools we already pay for.

I follow the rules, the rules need to be changed, we need school choice, if the school is failing, no one goes there, the message gets sent to change the culture at the school or close it down.

Or work to improve the neighborhood you live in.

I have to say however, the neighborhood you live in should not effect the education each child receives.

And dogs shouldn't chase cats but they do.

Stupid unjust law. Should be able to send your kids to any school you want just like when paying to attend somewhere. Otherwise it's like saying a crappy school in a poor neighborhood is where all those in the neighborhood have to go, not the nicer school even closer but across a line on some districting map.

People lie about where they live in order to get a better rate for car insurance....
I think that might be insurance fraud...
They call it I just want to get a better rate...

In McDonald county you are allowed to send you kid to another school that has an average of better grades...they even provide transportation...

I follow the rules dipshit, the rules need to be changed, we need school choice, if the school is failing, no one goes there, the message gets sent to change the culture at the school or close it down.

We can do it, why can't you?

Simple, the scum of the earth dimocrap party OWNS your stupid asses, that's why

School Choice StateImpact Florida

Few Florida students are stuck attending the school around the corner if they are unhappy with that school’s performance. From magnet, charter, single-sex academies and offering businesses tax credits to provide private school scholarships, Florida is a national leader in the move away from mandating attendance in the local school district.

The goal is to allow parents and students to choose the school that works best for them, and to encourage traditional public schools to improve their performance. School choice includes public options, such as specialty magnet programs and charter schools, run with public funds.

Choice also includes private options such as the Florida Tax Credit Scholarship Program for businesses and other donors who fund private school scholarships for low income students. Nearly 29,000 students received a private school scholarship during the 2009-2010 school year, according to the Florida Department of Education.

The Florida Supreme Court struck down a private school voucher program in 2006. (Edge: The Florida Supreme Court is a KNOWN full-tilt dimocrap scum infested body)

Florida school choice also includes the McKay Scholarships, which allows K-12 students with disabilities — including intellectual, vision, hearing or learning — to choose to attend another public or private school. More than 22,000 students received a McKay Scholarship during the 2010-2011 school year.

Earlier this year Gov. Rick Scott, a Republican, signed legislation that makes it easier for students to transfer to public schools outside their district, allows good charter schools to expand more quickly, expands McKay Scholarship eligibility, increases business tax credits for scholarship donations and allows the Florida Virtual School to offer elementary school courses.

The mom made an indiscretion. The school district sounds like they're nuts. I wonder if there's more to this story....

But if your kid was a star football player, I bet the kid's residence would be overlooked by the school district.

Wow, what a backward state. A lot of states have voted for schools of choice. It would never happen in Michigan either.

I follow the rules dipshit, the rules need to be changed, we need school choice, if the school is failing, no one goes there, the message gets sent to change the culture at the school or close it down.

We can do it, why can't you?

Simple, the scum of the earth dimocrap party OWNS your stupid asses, that's why

School Choice StateImpact Florida

Few Florida students are stuck attending the school around the corner if they are unhappy with that school’s performance. From magnet, charter, single-sex academies and offering businesses tax credits to provide private school scholarships, Florida is a national leader in the move away from mandating attendance in the local school district.

The goal is to allow parents and students to choose the school that works best for them, and to encourage traditional public schools to improve their performance. School choice includes public options, such as specialty magnet programs and charter schools, run with public funds.

Choice also includes private options such as the Florida Tax Credit Scholarship Program for businesses and other donors who fund private school scholarships for low income students. Nearly 29,000 students received a private school scholarship during the 2009-2010 school year, according to the Florida Department of Education.

The Florida Supreme Court struck down a private school voucher program in 2006.
Florida school choice also includes the McKay Scholarships, which allows K-12 students with disabilities — including intellectual, vision, hearing or learning — to choose to attend another public or private school. More than 22,000 students received a McKay Scholarship during the 2010-2011 school year.

Earlier this year Gov. Rick Scott, a Republican, signed legislation that makes it easier for students to transfer to public schools outside their district, allows good charter schools to expand more quickly, expands McKay Scholarship eligibility, increases business tax credits for scholarship donations and allows the Florida Virtual School to offer elementary school courses.

Equal opportunity for all, what a radical concept.

Forum List

Back