Mafia Discussion Thread: Keep Your Torches and Pitchforks at Home!

I like theme games with puzzles in the dynamics over just plan old dynamic bending games for whatever it is worth. It adds a layer of roleplaying to the mix no matter which side you are on for those of us so inclined.

Do you like drinking games?

Holy moly! I go to read game 5....and I have 18?? posts to catch up on!

Talkative bunch, ain't we?

Regards from Rosie

Unfortunately and usually at the wrong time ;)

I have been in a far worse game before. I think we were closing on about 6K posts by the end of Day 2 and the game only had around 13 or so players in it.

I wanted to see how explosive this game could get with that special mechanic.

Now I'm putting down the framework for a 28-er. Each player will have a special Day Ability. Timeset abilities will also be used (slight modifiers/X-Shot abilities granted at the start of X Day. A player could gain 'Poisonproof' status at the start of Day 3, even if there's no poisoning role out there).

20:4:4. Can't reveal too much more, but I expect activity to reach over 10,000 posts.

Now I'm putting down the framework for a 28-er. Each player will have a special Day Ability. Timeset abilities will also be used (slight modifiers/X-Shot abilities granted at the start of X Day. A player could gain 'Poisonproof' status at the start of Day 3, even if there's no poisoning role out there).

20:4:4. Can't reveal too much more, but I expect activity to reach over 10,000 posts.

Is it for here or for the main site? :ack-1:

I can bet and win knowing that I will always be the first lynched, happens in real life also...

I can bet and win knowing that I will always be the first lynched, happens in real life also...

Being the first lynch isn't something to strive for. You should try actually playing the game, it can be lots of fun.

This would be for the main site. If I tried that here people are liable to self-detonate. :D

Some of the ideas I get are from here: Best Role Ideas bull mafiascum.net

I'm learning that one of the best ways to make your game very fun is to add in information-gathering roles... that give you just a hint of information. Enough to put momentum behind your Scumhunting, but not enough to make you stand straight up, pointers out, and scream "SCUM!"

Gunsmith, Bladesmith, DNA Analyst, Watcher, Tracker, Librarian, Follower, Voyeur, 'Loud' modifier, etc. Keeping it simple and subtle makes the game far more enjoyable to sip, like a hot caramel-apple cappuccino in the dead of winter.

Moonglow, you should try to engage the game a bit more.

Mafia can be really fun, but you have to remember that you're playing with other people, and that a simple majority can get you lynched. If you tick them off you can get lynched. I should know. If you don't share much of your own ideas or question others, they'll have little incentive to keep you around over the other player who's really contributing.

I get enjoyment out of the game by hyper-focusing on the details. Picking at it. Seeing if something shakes or rustles as I'm sifting through stuff. All it takes is one legitimate Scumtell to catch the scent of Scum, and set your game afoot. The thrill of the hunt. And should you die and flip Town, at least you did your part and maybe, just maybe, the remaining members of Town will use your posts to win the game. Using the post histories of dead Townies is essential, because you know for a fact you aren't getting lied to.

It's just a puzzle that I really enjoy. The nuances. The... "uh oh" feeling Scum gets when he or she perceives you're on to them, and then the shift in their gameplay to try and get you lynched, and then you ratcheting it up a level as you start actively hunting them, gaining more and more momentum to see them swinging by the rope at the end of the Day. :D

So...

To create a simple game, or a crazy game.

Hm...

balance.gif

I'm not saying I want to run this but what does anyone think of this idea?

3 Mafia Goons
2 Werewolves
6 Vanilla Townies
1 Town Seer

Mafia Goon
Welcome, [Player Name]. You are a Mafia Goon, along with your partners, [Player Name] and [Player Name].
Factional communication: During the night phase you may talk with your partners here [QuickTopic link].
Win condition: You win when at least half of the living players are mafia, or when nothing can prevent this from happening.

Werewolf
Welcome, [Player Name]. You are a Werewolf, along with your partner, [Player Name].
Factional communication: During the night phase you may talk with your partner here [QuickTopic link].
Factional kill: Each night phase, you or your partner may perform the group nightkill.
Win condition: You win when at least half of the living players are werewolves and at least one pro-town role remains, or if you obtain full majority, or when nothing can prevent this from happening.

Vanilla Townie
Welcome, [Player Name], you are a Vanilla Townie.
Your weapon is your vote, you have no night actions.
Win condition: You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated and there is at least one town player alive.

Town Seer
Welcome, [Player Name], you are a Town Seer.
Each night phase, you may investigate one player in the game by PM'ing the mod. You will get results back in the form of Werewolf/Not Werewolf.
Win condition: You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated and there is at least one town player alive.

I'm not saying I want to run this but what does anyone think of this idea?

3 Mafia Goons
2 Werewolves
6 Vanilla Townies
1 Town Seer

Mafia Goon
Welcome, [Player Name]. You are a Mafia Goon, along with your partners, [Player Name] and [Player Name].
Factional communication: During the night phase you may talk with your partners here [QuickTopic link].
Win condition: You win when at least half of the living players are mafia, or when nothing can prevent this from happening.

Werewolf
Welcome, [Player Name]. You are a Werewolf, along with your partner, [Player Name].
Factional communication: During the night phase you may talk with your partner here [QuickTopic link].
Factional kill: Each night phase, you or your partner may perform the group nightkill.
Win condition: You win when at least half of the living players are werewolves and at least one pro-town role remains, or if you obtain full majority, or when nothing can prevent this from happening.

Vanilla Townie
Welcome, [Player Name], you are a Vanilla Townie.
Your weapon is your vote, you have no night actions.

Town Seer
Welcome, [Player Name], you are a Town Seer.
Each night phase, you may investigate one player in the game by PM'ing the mod. You will get results back in the form of Werewolf/Not Werewolf.

No way of fingering mafia aside from WIFOM? Eh....

Forum List

Back