Maine now arresting domestic abuse VICTIMS to make them testify

What the police should do is set this woman and her kids up in a safe house. There, they would help this woman find a place to live and help her get a job.

and who is going to pay for that?

You and i will pay for it. Time to tell these alleged abuse victims to get a job and make it on their own.

What the police should do is set this woman and her kids up in a safe house. There, they would help this woman find a place to live and help her get a job.

and who is going to pay for that?

My suggestion is to redirect tax dollars going into welfare that folks are just sucking up. In a safe house at least they get these women to work and not live on welfare.

Actually, many women don't want to testify is because of reliving the whole ordeal on the stand in front of a courtroom, then having your ex's lawyer belittle and make a mockery of the woman's pain.

HAHAHA. How many times have we heard that liberal crap? Sorry,but people know the truth. Like rape accusations, domestic abuse accusations have become a shakedown tactic.

First of all, I'm far from being a liberal..LOL And second, I'm sure there are women who make false reports hoping to score a big payday.
But, they're lots of cases which the woman is too scared to file a report. I've known a few women who were afraid to come forward. Which is really sad.

First of all, I'm far from being a liberal..LOL And second, I'm sure there are women who make false reports hoping to score a big payday.
But, they're lots of cases which the woman is too scared to file a report. I've known a few women who were afraid to come forward. Which is really sad.

Hey stupid. There's another option. They can just leave the guy. But no - "then i'd have to get a job!!"

Hey stupid. There's another option. They can just leave the guy. But no - "then i'd have to get a job!!"

Well of course the first option to leave, then call cops , press charges, get restraining order and additional protection for herself and kids.

Of course most of these guys are not just physically abusive to these women, they also get in there heads.

One must wonder what kind of a husband you are to be so defensive against monsters like these guys....

For many it is because they have no other life and way to support themselves. A woman with children who doesn't have a job or a very low paying job can't afford to send the guy to beat her to jail. She might want to when she's angry that night the cops came, but a few weeks later when she's had time to think about her situation and hear the usual apologies and vows to never do it again she chooses a different route. Otherwise maybe homeless etc.

Very correct. They go back until they die. He never changes. She does. She becomes more accepting of being beaten, taking pride when it's not too bad, a couple of black eyes instead of a broken arm.

These women need to be arrested. It will ultimately do them some good. Living in the abuse revolving door never will.

After working not quite two years (before leaving in disgust) at a women's shelter, my wife's exact words were: "The kindest thing you could do for some of these women is to shoot them in the head."

You would be surprised to know how many women who work are also abused. You might be even more surprised to know how many women are the breadwinners, either the primary or the only support the family has. The dynamics of why women hang around an abuser are way more complicated than that. After years of dealing with domestic abuse victims, I learned that some women like the danger the abuser presents. They are like race car drivers who know that every time they get in a car they could crash and burn. But they still get in that car.

What a great idea. Let's arrest people to make sure they vote, mow their lawns and shower regularly.

...or they could just put the entire nation on house arrest. Think of the boost to the economy when the government purchased all those ankle monitors.

For many it is because they have no other life and way to support themselves. A woman with children who doesn't have a job or a very low paying job can't afford to send the guy to beat her to jail. She might want to when she's angry that night the cops came, but a few weeks later when she's had time to think about her situation and hear the usual apologies and vows to never do it again she chooses a different route. Otherwise maybe homeless etc.

Very correct. They go back until they die. He never changes. She does. She becomes more accepting of being beaten, taking pride when it's not too bad, a couple of black eyes instead of a broken arm.

These women need to be arrested. It will ultimately do them some good. Living in the abuse revolving door never will.

I get the point you are making, and in the long run, being arrested might do them good, in getting the bastard out of her life - but if she refuses to testify because she is scared of him, she ends up in prison herself, and if she doesn't testify, there may not be a case.

So she ends up in prison and he ends up free. She's caught between a rock and a hard place.

Really?

This is what can sometimes happen when women try to leave their abusive husbands:

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

She's dead. He stabbed her and set her on fire because he couldn't stand the thought of her leaving him.

So next time you think she can 'just leave', you might think about this poor woman and keep your ignorant mouth shut next time.

Would that that were possible, SurMar.

There are a limited number of safe houses in Maine and the woman (not the police) needs to ask for refuge and even then there may be no place to send her and her kids.

As to finding her a job?

Yeah good luck with finding a full time mother a job that pays enough to support her and her familky AND the day care she'd need to go to work too.

Maine is poor, amigo and its economy is thin as ice.

Forum List

Back